PDA

View Full Version : Making a spare key

Startingnow
04-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Last week I bought a 2012 RS and don't like the fact of having one key with no backup. The other day I read an informative post on getting keys made and there was a link to order the blank. Does anyone know this post and can maybe help a new guy find it again:bowdown:. Much appreciated

Vince

Chupaca
04-16-2017, 08:59 AM
The spyder 2008-2013 uses the aprilla motorcycle key. You can get them online but many locksmith stores like Kwik Keys etc carry them and can clone your key for around 35.oo. You can get this done at the dealer but very costly. The one I got was TP05ZA-9.P from WWW.jma.es...:thumbup:

Startingnow
04-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info but can you repost the link please. It won't work when I click on it.

billybovine
04-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Here are the 2 ways to tackle this.

1. Buy a new blank key from your Spyder dealer. Most dealers cannot cut it so off to a locksmith or hardware store to have it cut. Back to the dealer or anyone else with a BRP master key. The dealer runs the procedure to make the Spyder accept the new key and continue to accept your existing key. Also any keys not present to run through the Spyder will no longer be accepted.

2. Buy a clonable blank form an online supplier. Here is an example of one. http://www.keys4urride.com/canam-motorcycle-spyder-trike-transponder-key-p-146.html They are expensive so search around I think you can find a cheaper source. Take the new and old key to a locksmith or hardware store with a cloning machine. They will cut and clone the key to match your old key. The new key will work just like the old key. Beware any old keys from before you bought your Spyder that the previous owner may have will still work.

Huked
04-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Last week I bought a 2012 RS and don't like the fact of having one key with no backup. The other day I read an informative post on getting keys made and there was a link to order the blank. Does anyone know this post and can maybe help a new guy find it again:bowdown:. Much appreciated

Vince

This is where I got my keys, they were the best deal I found.

http://www.lockpicks.com/aprilia-scooters-transponder-key-rw-zd23rt5-jma.html

All you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEN2c9x8K0

JerryB
04-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Hi billybovine,

Re: http://www.keys4urride.com/canam-motorcycle-spyder-trike-transponder-key-p-146.html

I have used these guys twice now. They are not the cheapest but are very good to deal with. For me, that is more important than saving a couple of bucks.

Jerry Baumchen

Startingnow
04-16-2017, 09:19 PM
thanks for all the help, will get that spare ASAP

Danz28
04-16-2017, 10:05 PM
thanks for all the help, will get that spare ASAP

I got the blue transponder key out the door from locksmith 53 dollars. Took him a few calls to find it but worth it. I ended up making 2 and I never take the factory one out of the house. Congrats on your purchase

JerryB
04-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Hi Danz28

Re: I ended up making 2 and I never take the factory one out of the house.

This is what I did & do also.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
04-17-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm seriously considering having the DESS disabled, and then I can use any un-chipped keyblank as well... :thumbup:

Huked
04-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Hi Danz28

Re: I ended up making 2 and I never take the factory one out of the house.

This is what I did & do also.

Jerry Baumchen

Same here, I bought 3 so if they mess up cutting one. As soon as I fined a place to clone them (small area) the factory key is getting put some place safe.

Bfromla
04-17-2017, 10:29 PM

Vince
:thumbup: Well with your pre 2014 you can also do the Keyport option like I did
(they can do the '14 & newer ,but the chip has changed)
https://mykeyport.com/pivot?gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFzBcYu7jOh6r5KU21mCNUeoP6fIihwTUBAa95 f7WN8hoCFdnw_wcB
fyi mine holds 4key blades, a micro flashlight & thumb drive too:2thumbs:. They offer new metal ones with 4 or 6 slots that fit most needs. I only use my port & keep my oem's as spares & a chip less in my wallet so i dont lock my port in frunk:p

Startingnow
04-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all of the help/suggestions.
I ended up buying two blanks from lockpick.com for about $20, went to Ace Hardware who did not want to cut the keys because they couldn't guarantee they would work. They did however, program both keys directly from the Spyder key.
Next day, called lock smiths, first one would not cut because they could not guarantee the duplicates would work. Called around until I found a lock smith that would cut them, for $5/key.
So, two keys programmed and working for just about $30, very pleased :)

Bfromla
04-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all of the help/suggestions.
I ended up buying two blanks from lockpick.com for about $20, went to Ace Hardware who did not want to cut the keys because they couldn't guarantee they would work. They did however, program both keys directly from the Spyder key.
Next day, called lock smiths, first one would not cut because they could not guarantee the duplicates would work. Called around until I found a lock smith that would cut them, for $5/key.
So, two keys programmed and working for just about $30, very pleased :)
Now with happy working spares you get to find the un chipped blanks Ilco X270 so you can open frunk & gas ( good for spare stash) but not starting the bike. Say come end of season you put you keys in jacket pocket (naturally) then jacket in frunk going in somewhere to eat or whatever&:gaah::banghead::banghead: