PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on which loading ramps to buy

johnfdavid101
04-15-2017, 11:48 AM
My wife and I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited and we have a U-Haul type trailer. We need to buy a loading ramp. I understand that the ramp needs to be long enough so the nose doesn't hit when loading. Can anyone advise what is the best make and size to buy?

LJspydee
04-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Discount Ramps sells several long and wide ramps. Length of the ramps depends on the trailer deck height. 7 1/2 to 8 feet is usually sufficient.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-15-2017, 02:13 PM
My wife and I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited and we have a U-Haul type trailer. We need to buy a loading ramp. I understand that the ramp needs to be long enough so the nose doesn't hit when loading. Can anyone advise what is the best make and size to buy? Before spending any money ......... try this ...... tilt the Tongue of the trailer up , so the tail goes down ....... this reduces the load height by quite a bit ...... It does make the loading process slightly more complicated but your ramps will be much, much shorter ..... you could use 2 x 6's ............. Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-15-2017, 04:46 PM
:shocked: Perhaps I'm just overly cautious...
But I would NEVER try to ride up onto a trailer, that wasn't latched down to something up front! nojoke
If everything goes right: :clap: :2thumbs:
But if it doesn't: you can end up lifting the nose of the trailer skyward, and pushing around with your bike... not cool! :yikes:

Large1
04-16-2017, 01:19 PM
If you don't want to try lowering the rear of the trailer (something I have done) after chalking the wheels, Try raising the Spyder load off of a curb. if you do go with ramps keep a few 2x6 2 ft long so you can raise the front to clear weather your heading in or backing in the 2bys will give you the clearance you need in or out

rays hell
04-17-2017, 04:56 PM
You can lower the jack on the trailer while it is still connected to the tow vehicle, raising the front and lowering the rear.
I have a 5' ramp/gate on the back of my utility trailer and never scrubbed loading or unloading the RTs I had.

Rob Rodriguez
04-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Someone here mention to me a few years ago that if you back the tow vehicle rear wheels on a couple of 2 x 6's it raises the ball and therefore the trailer hitch (like Mike suggested) and lowers the back of the trailer. You'd be surprised how little you have to raise the ball to drop the rear of the trailer quite a bit. You would still need ramps but they could be shorter.