PDA

View Full Version : Documenting service

Beachbum
04-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Does anybody know how to properly (legally) document services when you do them yourself? Being a retired Machinist/Toolmaker I just feel better about doing my own work rather than leave my spyder with a service department at a dealership. I brought my F3 into the dealer for its 3,000 mile first service (after changing the oil myself) and it came out with the tires under inflated. That was a test for them and they failed! If they didn't check tire pressure I'm sure they didn't check much of anything else. After seeing that I went through the 3,000 mile check list and did it myself. I just don't want to void my warranty in any way. Thanks for any tips on this subject.

Bob Denman
04-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Keep a journal of anything and everything that is done on the bike...
Date each entry, and write down the mileage.
Describe what was done...
And attach receipts for any parts bought to the page.

ARtraveler
04-14-2017, 07:35 PM
Keep a journal of anything and everything that is done on the bike...
Date each entry, and write down the mileage.
Describe what was done...
And attach receipts for any parts bought to the page.

:agree: he's got you covered. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-15-2017, 07:51 AM
:D I am the most anal-retentive person on the Planet... nojoke
I have lists; of where I keep all of my lists! :yikes:

mpsicon
04-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Document dates and all work done. Save ALL receipts even if parts were bought elsewhere, example if oil was bought at auto part store.

Beachbum
04-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have all the work documented in the back of my owners manual and I did save all of my receipts from the OEM parts that I used (gaskets, O-rings and Rotax filters). I like the idea of starting a work journal and attaching the proper receipts to the corresponding page. I'm now thinking a recipe book(with the plastic pouches for recipe cards) or a small photo album with plastic sheets could work out great. I need something long term because I buy a vehicle and keep it for 10yrs or more. That's another reason why I am so particular about the way the maintenance is done.