PDA

View Full Version : GIVI Shield

Firefly
04-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Ordered Givi shield last Thursday - showed up today.

First impressions:

This shield is SHARP looking - looks like it came with the bike. Has the same feel, fit and finish of a BRP stock shield.

Unlike online dating, this thing looks far better in person.;)

Got a chance to take it for a short ride in 42 degree weather.

Only got up to 60mph.

Wind protection was okay, not great, but good. No head buffetting - the wind seems to hit about mid-face and I wear a full face shield. Very smooth airflow.

I'm 5'8" and have the BRP 1" riser as well as the NMN 3" risers.

Riding with my full face shield open - got tons of wind right in the face. Wasn't too loud as the airflow was smooth.

The Givi comes back towards the rider more than the CalSci does - in other words the CalSci stands more 'upright'.

I can see over the Givi with plenty of room to spare.

A full turn to lock did cause the bars to touch the shield - but I have the NMN risers. No big deal to me.

Overall I think this will be a GREAT summer shield for anything about 55 degrees.

The shield I removed was a CalSci XL with a removable Laminar Lip. When I ride with just the CalSci - I get some noise and minimal head buffetting. Adding the Laminar Lip moves the airflow up another 4-5" so you are well protected.

With the CalSci & Laminar Lip I can open my full face and ride - not too much wind in the face.

It seems the point where most noise or buffetting can occur is when the wind hits your helmet just above your forehead. Riding with my shield open so it's at an angle ontop of the helmet takes care of most noise - I then ride with my interior sun shield down (Scorpion 1000 with internal sun shield - :D).

So it's too early to give the Givi a great review, but so far I like it - in particular the looks are just stunningly sleek and in line with the Spyder and it looks better than any shield I've seen to date - and I've seen just about all of them.

It has the same fluid motion of the Spyder.

For $130 you can't go too wrong!

More later once it gets nice again!