PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought me the Spyder.

Ramg66
04-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone, I am new here. I just purchased a 2016 Spyder RT-S SE6. I have been riding quads (ATV's) for over 20 years and when the Spyder came out I was in love, I have been telling my wife for a decade I wanted one. I finally talked my wife into looking at one and OMG she fell in love with a blue one, we mounted it but couldn't test drive because I had no motorcycle permit. 2 days later I'm taking the test, I pass and we go back and it was sold, my wife was not happy, but they told us they had a red one in the crate still, same price. She would not let it get away, I'm nervous like crazy and she just keeps telling me she wants it (I couldn't believe it), I test drove a used one and bought the red one in the crate that day.

I love it!! Its been a couple weeks and I have 500 miles on it already. There's a few things I'm getting used to, like the wind at 70 mph. The throttle, I'm used to the thumb throttle on a quad, every once in a while I am parking or just slowing down and I give it gas without thinking about it, good thing I have the brake on. I am getting better at curving, they say its like quads but its a little different (especially the speeds), I have read a lot, the manual and the do's and don'ts and many posts. I'm still a little confused on the RPM's and shifting. After doing a lot of research I have learned to take it easy the first 10 minutes, I was shifting between 3600-4000RPM but have noticed the smoothest is around 3300-3400 RPM. Is this OK? I do have another question, I will be driving at 60 MPH a lot and I want to know if in cruise control you would be in 5th gear at 3500 RPM or 6th gear at 3100 RPM? Thanks in advance, and any advice is appreciated.

SteveLaoyster
04-11-2017, 08:49 PM
:welcome: & :congrats: Shifting is a matter of preference & also conditions. You'll get used to it. Just take it easy as you learn & as the bike gets broke in. Happy Ryding!

Kredab
04-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Congrats on your purchase

Spyderlovers will teach you a lot , I've only have 700 on mine and still learning. It's the best feeling around riding the Spyder. I'm still learning the shifting, if anything I shift to soon.:spyder2::spyder2:

ENJOY

cuznjohn
04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
welcome ans many happy miles and smiles

DGoebel
04-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Ditto That, sounds like you've done your due diligence reading the Do's and Don'ts, Your Owner's Manual and all, I think we put 1,100 miles on from Sept through Winter storage and I've already done several hundred this year up here in MN where it's in the 30's again tonight...
Still the best bike I've owned (at this age)...
Welcome and ENJOY the ride, take your time learning your bike's sweet spots, have fun!

oldman55
04-11-2017, 09:55 PM
I've owned my F3-S about 3 weeks now & started out shifting around 3400 to 3600, now it's around 4200 to 4500. Got about 1200 miles on it now. The throttle is something you will get use to as the miles build up. I've always owned a motorcycle so the throttle thing was easy for me. I was always told the red ones are faster!! Lots of good info on here. Welcome & enjoy your new ride.

Ranman42
04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
:congrats::cheers: You will love ryding the spyder. The 1330 is very forgiving of shifting, loads of torque just don't lug the engine. I have a 16 RTS SE and I have cruised at 60 in both 5th and 6th gear with no difference other than RPM's as you stated. The 1330 is a wonderful platform. 1330club

Enjoy the ryde and check back in often.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-11-2017, 10:24 PM
:congrats:...... :welcome:..................... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-11-2017, 10:47 PM
:welcome: :congrats: and yes, you have figured out the shifting.

Recommended on the 1330 is keeping it in the ballpark 3500. Each :ani29: has its "sweet spot." Sounds like yours is 3300 - 3400. :yes:

Woodaddict
04-12-2017, 02:31 AM
welcome aboard. I am a new spyder owner too of 4 weeks. if you turn on ECO mode, it will give you a green arrow to upshift. a great addition if you are going somewhat slower gawking around and then notice the arrow!!

murphybrown
04-12-2017, 03:21 AM
To the wonderful world of Spyders and Spyderlovers. What doing weekend June 16? Consider joining us at ❤ of WA Spyder Gathering...very laid back, choice of rydes on Saturday. Friday nite BBQ.....real BBQ .. sponsored by Lifestyle Can-Am.
And a big Rallt...the Red Rock Rally in St George Utah end of September.
Yep mighty glad you are here.

youngers
04-12-2017, 03:40 AM
hey guy , wwelcome too the spyders web :spyder:, also have a lady who was a big push in the finding a spyder for us ... a fun ride for sure ! I do have problems though , ---- will it be 2 wheels today or 3 wheels , for a ride ? :p

Saluda
04-12-2017, 05:28 AM
and welcome !

Buckeye Bleau
04-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Red blue both are nice, my wife would say that you were supposed to have red. Also, might I say tat you look good on that red Byke.

Welcome home!

Joe

Zip
04-12-2017, 06:15 AM
:congrats: & :welcome: I have a manual so cant help much with shifting.

Bob Denman
04-12-2017, 06:59 AM
:welcome:

And don't forget to brush after each and every ride... :D

Chupaca
04-12-2017, 09:01 AM
To the spyder world and this amazing site. Congrats on the new ryde..:2thumbs: as you can see you have answers to your question already..:clap::clap:enjoy the miles of smiles...500 of them is barely a warm up...:roflblack:

BigGuy66
04-12-2017, 09:12 AM
It's really great to see all the new Spyder Ryders here on the site. As many have said, your questions will be answered by many experienced and helpful ryders - that's been my experience as a pretty new ryder. Welcome to all of you!! Ryde on!
Jim

ricford
04-12-2017, 09:16 AM
My dealer test ride found the bike to be shaky and scary. That was me not knowing how to ryde. Though I had zillions of miles on two wheels, OK maybe not zillions but a lot, on three continents, I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They taught me how to ryde the Spyder. Find one in your area and take it as soon as you can. Worth every dollar. And have fun, safely!

kamper
04-12-2017, 09:20 AM
CONGRATS and WELCOME!!!!!!!!! Just waite till you have it broke in, then they realy get fun.:clap::clap:

PrairieSpyder
04-12-2017, 09:37 AM
:welcome: & :congrats:

You made a good choice with the RED one. They're the fastest, you know. You're wife being so enthusiastic makes me think you'll be a 2-Spyder household before too long!

opiewhan
04-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here. I just purchased a 2016 Spyder RT-S SE6. I have been riding quads (ATV's) for over 20 years and when the Spyder came out I was in love, I have been telling my wife for a decade I wanted one. I finally talked my wife into looking at one and OMG she fell in love with a blue one, we mounted it but couldn't test drive because I had no motorcycle permit. 2 days later I'm taking the test, I pass and we go back and it was sold, my wife was not happy, but they told us they had a red one in the crate still, same price. She would not let it get away, I'm nervous like crazy and she just keeps telling me she wants it (I couldn't believe it), I test drove a used one and bought the red one in the crate that day.

I love it!! Its been a couple weeks and I have 500 miles on it already. There's a few things I'm getting used to, like the wind at 70 mph. The throttle, I'm used to the thumb throttle on a quad, every once in a while I am parking or just slowing down and I give it gas without thinking about it, good thing I have the brake on. I am getting better at curving, they say its like quads but its a little different (especially the speeds), I have read a lot, the manual and the do's and don'ts and many posts. I'm still a little confused on the RPM's and shifting. After doing a lot of research I have learned to take it easy the first 10 minutes, I was shifting between 3600-4000RPM but have noticed the smoothest is around 3300-3400 RPM. Is this OK? I do have another question, I will be driving at 60 MPH a lot and I want to know if in cruise control you would be in 5th gear at 3500 RPM or 6th gear at 3100 RPM? Thanks in advance, and any advice is appreciated.

here is what I do when the bike is at rest(stop sign) I just remove my hands from the handle bars(throttle) and wait till its time to go before placing them on handlebars, therefore eliminating any chance of giving it throttle and then you have a run-away bike..try it youll get used to it..

Scotts8826
04-12-2017, 10:56 AM
I really enjoy my wife riding with me. Just this last Saturday we decided to go out for some BBQ. So, we hoped on the RT-S, rode up a nice boulevard, toured around a large park/lake and finally landed at the restaurant. You'll find that when you are on the Spyder, your destination is not always in a straight line. One more reason to do something as a couple.

easysuper
04-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Be prepared to buy another one for your wife, My wife had never ridden a bike by herself, fell in love with mine and went out and bought her own. In one year she put 25,000 miles on it and now has another new one as she wanted the triple . Welcome to the club and happy riding !

Ramg66
04-12-2017, 03:09 PM
I look forward to getting to know you all, thanks for the advice and the invites. My wife and I both ended up liking the red one better, I think my wife just fell in love with the Spyder itself.
I do have another question, What do you do with your golf clubs, guns, fishing poles, etc. after buying one of these? :yes:

Bob Denman
04-12-2017, 05:17 PM
I do have another question, What do you do with your golf clubs, guns, fishing poles, etc. after buying one of these? :yes:

:D You sell them: you'll be too busy riding! :D
(Or; buy a trailer, and throw them in it for transport! :thumbup:)

youngers
04-12-2017, 06:00 PM
here ya go ---------> fishing poles in the center of the tarp , the golf clubs at the sides of the tarp , now you have a mobile storage tent :roflblack:

flyday58
04-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Welcome from another newbie, the folks here are all helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, not sure about the other eight. :welcome:

easysuper
04-13-2017, 02:24 PM
I look forward to getting to know you all, thanks for the advice and the invites. My wife and I both ended up liking the red one better, I think my wife just fell in love with the Spyder itself.

That's What the tent trailer and dog trailer is for !

DesertRider
04-13-2017, 02:35 PM
I finally gave in and sold my 1700 Kawasaki Voyager and bought a 2017 RT Ltd. last Thursday. I put 500 miles on it over the weekend and I have to say, I absolutely love it. I have already ordered an extended brake pedal, mounted Spyder highway pegs and drink holders.

Deanna777
04-13-2017, 07:16 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: glad you joined us, we are here to help, ask questions. Let the smiles, miles, farkling begin! :nopic:

Deanna