PDA

View Full Version : 2015 F3S BRP Blue Ridge Stealth shield DIY Aluminum mounts

spyderyderjim
04-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Hi All,
Increased air flow across front of body, no helmet buffeting, a little wind noise.
2015 F3S BRP shield mounted 10" rearward, about 5" higher angled back, 16" height from top of shield to gas cap.
DIY Aluminum side mounts/braces.
(looks like BRP shield was designed to be mounted in this rearward position to eliminate helmet buffeting).
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim

Steamer
04-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Very good idea I like the looks. Fits with the style of the bike. Would you mind giving us a few pics and description on the diy brackets?

Steamer
04-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks. Very impressive.

Firefly
04-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Looks good!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
DIY'ers - Rock :clap::clap::clap:.......nice work ...... Mike :thumbup:

Corsacreek
04-11-2017, 11:39 PM
Thanks for posting Jim, I have a couple of questions tho?

1. On full lock (either direction) does the grips make contact with the screen?
2. Have you tested it above 75mph?

I'm among those with a 30" inseam where the current setup places the buffeting right on top of your helmet and as a result it gives your blurry vision above 75mpg. Where I live riding 55 on the highway on a motorcycle is suicide so you have to match everybody's speed and away from the slow lane, usually 80+. I've already giving up on the BR but I love to tinker with your brackets.

spyderyderjim
04-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting Jim, I have a couple of questions tho?

1. On full lock (either direction) does the grips make contact with the screen?
2. Have you tested it above 75mph?

I'm among those with a 30" inseam where the current setup places the buffeting right on top of your helmet and as a result it gives your blurry vision above 75mpg. Where I live riding 55 on the highway on a motorcycle is suicide so you have to match everybody's speed and away from the slow lane, usually 80+. I've already giving up on the BR but I love to tinker with your brackets.

1. No.Handlebar does not hit BRP shield.
2. Yes, I have about 500 miles total so far on BRP Stealth shield, on Hwy 10 Tucson Az 80 mph there is no helmet buffeting, clear vision, air flow hits me at eye level, just a little wind noise from my face shield on Shoei RF1100 helmet. I have 32" inseam, 6' tall.
3. (The Aluminum brackets can also be used to mount a 2015 F3 CalSci larger shield for cooler weather ryding).
I suggest you mount & tighten the Aluminum side mounts 6mm button-head hex bolts each side of cluster first.
Then have someone hold BRP shield in different positions to suit your height & rearward position.
Check full lock bars each side for clearance, mark where holes need to be drilled for shield mount.
I use a rubber bib spacer in between shield & Aluminum mounts so you don't scratch shield.
Adjust height of shield at rear, then mark the 1/4" thick x 1" wide braces , drill holes for 6mm bolts, add Acorn nuts.
(You can drill an extra hole in top area of brace to raise or lower shield to suit your ryding).
I really like the BRP Stealth shield for the extra air flow in summer ryding!
Hope this helps with shield info.
Jim

Corsacreek
04-12-2017, 10:39 PM
Thank you for all the info Jim..

spr_chicken
04-18-2017, 09:28 PM
I wonder if the brp gauge spoiler could be mounted under it. I think that would look good.

spyderyderjim
05-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Thank you for all the info Jim..

Your welcome.
Here is some DIY info, specs I will share to help with your tinker BRP F3 shield project.
1. Aluminum angle side mounts 1/8" thick, 1"wide x 2" (or 3") wide x 12" long; cut at an angle to match contour of F3 Spyder rail/cluster. A 2 1/2" long x 1" wide x 1/8" thick Aluminum flat bar to mount lower shield bolt hole to lower hole in 1" wide angle. I bend the 1" wide angle a little upwards to match contour of inside shield.
Cluster side mount hex button-head bolts 1/2" longer than stock 6mm bolts.
2. Aluminum braces 1/4" thick x 1" wide x 10" long (bottom bend 1 1/2" at angle to mount to bottom rear rail with 6mm hex button-head bolts 1/2" longer than stock. Top brace/side mount 6mm bolts 25mm long; using 6mm acorn nuts on all bolts.
3. After cutting Aluminum side mounts/drill 1/4" holes, bolt to side cluster tight.
4. Bolt the bent braces (about 8 1/2" height to rail) using drilled 1/4" hole at bottom of Aluminum brace to rear rail bolt tight.
5. Bolt top of brace in one of 2 holes drilled, using 25mm long 6mm bolts to connect to side mounts finger tight, acorn nuts.
6. Line up top holes of BRP shield on 1" wide angle, having someone hold the BRP F3 shield level in different positions so your handlebars don't hit in full right or left full cock position, with shield at angle that fits your body height. Black marker where the two 1/4" top & short Aluminum piece bottom holes need to be drilled to mount shield, use bib neoprene spacers in between so shield does not get scratched.
(my shield is set at 16" from top of gas cap to top of BRP shield for my sitting height, 1/4" clearance handlebars full lock left/right from edge of shield). Shield rear closer to driver, wind hitting at eye level height seems to work best.
The wind on freeway at 80 mph hits me at eye level, if I raise my full face shield.
Note: by having BRP F3 shield height for wind at eye level gives you clear vision, no full face helmet buffeting; kinda like our motorcycle shields were.
Hope this helps a little.
I really enjoy my DIY mod 2015 F3 BRP stealth shield in Arizona ryding!!
Jim

spyderyderjim
05-04-2017, 11:09 PM
I wonder if the brp gauge spoiler could be mounted under it. I think that would look good.

Yes BRP 2015 F3 gauge spoiler shield would fit under front of raised up BRP shield, about 3 1/2".
You would need 3/4" longer than stock 6mm cluster side bolts with a nut bolting Aluminum side mounts tight; with the plastic gauge spoiler hole at head end of bolt with a neoprene washer on both sides of plastic spoiler hole against the nut.
Jim