PDA

View Full Version : Going to Canada, Read this first

Cruzr Joe
04-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Crossing the Canadian border with a DWI, DUI or Other Drunk Driving Offense

An offense of driving under the influence will typically not cause problems for Canadians entering the United States. However . . . . . .
The biggest surprise for most Americans is that they are very likely to be turned away at the Canadian border if they have any type of alcohol related offense.
https://2vmvfoqqwvt2l6jz72157s7v-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/FWCanada-Ad-Banner-200x200.jpg (http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/linkout/12190)

It does not matter if you are arriving as a passenger in another person’s car.
It does not matter if you have no intention of driving in Canada at all. For example, 4 to 5 passengers a week who take the ferry to Victoria Canada for a one-day walking sightseeing trip are turned back for DUI / DWI offenses even though they do not have a car with them.
It does not matter if your offense was classified as a misdemeanor or a felony.
It does not matter if you are a fan, guest, official, or anyone else entering Canada for special events. Former U.S. President G.W. Bush had to get a special waiver to enter Canada because of his 1976 drunken-driving offense in Maine

REPOSTED TO STAY ON TOPIC

crazycanuck
04-11-2017, 09:59 AM
this feels like groundhog day:shocked:

Bob Denman
04-11-2017, 10:22 AM

An offense of driving under the influence will typically not cause problems for Canadians entering the United States. However . . . . . .
The biggest surprise for most Americans is that they are very likely to be turned away at the Canadian border if they have any type of alcohol related offense.
https://2vmvfoqqwvt2l6jz72157s7v-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/FWCanada-Ad-Banner-200x200.jpg (http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/linkout/12190)

It does not matter if you have no intention of driving in Canada at all. For example, 4 to 5 passengers a week who take the ferry to Victoria Canada for a one-day walking sightseeing trip are turned back for DUI / DWI offenses even though they do not have a car with them.
It does not matter if you are a fan, guest, official, or anyone else entering Canada for special events. Former U.S. President G.W. Bush had to get a special waiver to enter Canada because of his 1976 drunken-driving offense in Maine

:clap: Thank you for getting us back on track... :bowdown:

bscrive
04-11-2017, 10:58 AM
If you do have a DUI/DWI, you can apply for a waiver before you go over. Better to do it now than take your chances at the border.

Just make sure that you don't lie to them about it. They will look you up and if they see that you lied then they will send you back.

Information on applying for a waiver.

Citizenship & Immigration (for related policies and procedures on waivers): http://www.cic.gc.ca/

CBSA home page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

CBSA contact page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

CBSA information for non-Canadians: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

Chupaca
04-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Been years since we crossed over...maybe where as well but with all that is going on these day it is wise to check everything and be prepared....:lecturef_smilie:

Saluda
04-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Kind of over doing it, isn't it ??

Cruzr Joe
04-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Kind of over doing it, isn't it ??

Not sure what you are referring to???

Cruzr Joe

Steamer
04-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Have crossed the border from Washington State/Montana numerous times. Each time my wife goes through each way likity split. Me, however, I get to be researched, bike searched, and thoroughly questioned. While I really don't mind and understand the necessity, but every time!
Because I have held public office, volunteered as youth exchange advisor and was a public school teacher, I have been vetted several times since the inception of background checks.
On two accaisions I had to wait well over an hour. I never cop an attitude and I am always forthwith with their questions.
What gives?
Just venting!

ARtraveler
04-11-2017, 02:08 PM
I think a lot has to do with the "inspector(s)" of the day. When crossing from Skagway AK. back into Canada, the spouse accidently moved ahead before being told to do so. They pulled her aside and gave her the full "treatment." Me, they just let me pass through. :banghead:

SilverFox1
04-11-2017, 03:23 PM
"An offense of driving under the influence will typically not cause problems for Canadians entering the United States. However . . . . . ."

Sorry to tell you this sir but the same thing happens to Canadians when crossing to the US side! Even if you own property of any kind. House , trailer or whatever.

cognaccruiser
04-11-2017, 03:45 PM
"An offense of driving under the influence will typically not cause problems for Canadians entering the United States. However . . . . . ."

Sorry to tell you this sir but the same thing happens to Canadians when crossing to the US side! Even if you own property of any kind. House , trailer or whatever.

I said the same thing yesterday and that thread disappeared so I guess I'll just agree with you.

Canadians going to the US have been asked if they have ever smoked pot. They were not charged or convicted. They just admitted to using it recreationally. They were turned back. I've been asked if I have ever been arrested for anything. I haven't and said so but I'm pretty sure if I had said yes I wouldn't have been going across the border.

I really don't quite get the purpose of this. Border agents from either country can, on any given day, ask whatever they want and decide to exercise their "authority". Please enlighten me.

Gary

2Paw
04-11-2017, 04:55 PM
My brother a 1 time DUI offender has crossed in and out of Canada several time on several different trips without any problems. I suppose that the agents can turn you back for any reason they choose. I hardly ever go anywhere I'm not wanted and didn't loose anything in Canada. I can't think of any valid reason however that I would be turned back. If the NSA thinks I'm okay I ought to be good enough for Canada.:D O course it has been a few years but I haven't been in much trouble the past several years.;) I think a DUI may be a little strict but I am if favor of tighter border control.

Bob Denman
04-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Whenever I approach the Customs Officials: I like to think about this:

It makes it easier to keep a straight face, and get across the Border without causing in international incident. :yikes:

Border Rider
04-11-2017, 06:09 PM
If you present a drivers license, enhanced or regular for an ID at the border crossings they will run a check on it. Any present or prior
violations will get you denied entry. A passport or nexus card does not show any driving infractions, you will be allowed entry. I do it all the time.

blitzkreig
04-11-2017, 06:17 PM
If you present a drivers license, enhanced or regular for an ID at the border crossings they will run a check on it. Any present or prior
violations will get you denied entry. A passport or nexus card does not show any driving infractions, you will be allowed entry. I do it all the time.Well as far as that goes if you are Canadian and attempting to enter the US with just a drivers license you are dreaming from the start ... Whether or not you have a DUI. You require a Passport or you don't get in. :p

DGoebel
04-11-2017, 06:17 PM
AH HA, Now I gotta go renew my passport, though I have no DUI's or DWI's I had a driving record that almost kept me out of the USAF...... back in the day of course... Now only Wisconsin gives me speeding tickets, only Wisconsin.......

crazycanuck
04-11-2017, 06:28 PM
bottom line is you can get denied entry into any country around the world. Going into any country you are not a citizen of, know the requirements to get in, special Visa's etc; answer the questions they ask and go enjoy.

The end.

Cruzr Joe
04-11-2017, 07:27 PM
I said the same thing yesterday and that thread disappeared so I guess I'll just agree with you.

Canadians going to the US have been asked if they have ever smoked pot. They were not charged or convicted. They just admitted to using it recreationally. They were turned back. I've been asked if I have ever been arrested for anything. I haven't and said so but I'm pretty sure if I had said yes I wouldn't have been going across the border.

I really don't quite get the purpose of this. Border agents from either country can, on any given day, ask whatever they want and decide to exercise their "authority". Please enlighten me.

Gary

The other post was deleted by me because it went completely off topic, this was posted as an informational post

Cruzr Joe

blitzkreig
04-11-2017, 07:54 PM
And ... leave the "heat" at home. Any firearm including long arms just are not worth the grief you will get at the border.

Hand guns are not welcome at all. I can't even imagine the paperwork necessary to get a hand gun into Canada unless you are doing professional security work or a member of the intelligentsia.

For Sport shooting and hunting purposes importing of long guns are possible ... but require a fair amount of planning and advance paperwork. Simply not worth the effort for a short blip over the border for a few days.

Highwayman2013
04-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Well I crossed the border in 2014 and all the Canadian border guard said was " Before you come back across please sign your passport."

TIMMB
04-12-2017, 04:28 AM
I crossed a few weeks ago with a expired passport, going in they said something, coming home not a word! Guess I better get it renewed before June!

Saluda
04-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Not sure what you are referring to???

Cruzr Joe

To me (Canadians) denying entry on such a small offense is over doing it. Especially if you're not a driver ?

Bob Denman
04-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Like it or not: these are the parameters that we'll be working with... nojoke

oldgoat
04-12-2017, 08:21 AM
To me (Canadians) denying entry on such a small offense is over doing it. Especially if you're not a driver ?

So you consider driving drunk a small offence do you?

Let's hope no one from your family gets killed by a drunk driver.

Bob Denman
04-12-2017, 08:22 AM
:agree: :banghead:

crazycanuck
04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
sideways...........:popcorn:

vondalyn
04-12-2017, 09:40 AM
you need to get an ETA (electronic travel authorization). I took care of that awhile back so my memory is foggy, but I think it was $5 and lasts for 5 years?

wyliec
04-12-2017, 09:43 AM
you need to get an ETA (electronic travel authorization). I took care of that awhile back so my memory is foggy, but I think it was $5 and lasts for 5 years?

Are you talking anyone flying in, or only those with a DWI or DUI?

jaherbst
04-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Have crossed the border from Washington State/Montana numerous times. Each time my wife goes through each way likity split. Me, however, I get to be researched, bike searched, and thoroughly questioned. While I really don't mind and understand the necessity, but every time!
Because I have held public office, volunteered as youth exchange advisor and was a public school teacher, I have been vetted several times since the inception of background checks.
On two accaisions I had to wait well over an hour. I never cop an attitude and I am always forthwith with their questions.
What gives?
Just venting!

It's because you held a public office that makes you suspect! Think about it. Have you ever met an honest

politician? :joke:

​Jack

Bob Denman
04-12-2017, 09:59 AM
It's because you held a public office that makes you suspect! Think about it. Have you ever met an honest

politician? :joke:

​Jack

:D I think that Jack may be on to something... :roflblack: :clap:

Steamer
04-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Yes I have met plenty of honest politicians that hold their duty as a public servant sacred. My public office was as a Superintendent of Schools. As such, I had to work with many politicians. While most were honest and hardworking the political divide was very difficult to deal with. Working for the public interest is not easy when you have such diverse opinions about the issues. In the end, most of my "issues" about getting funding to replace aging heating systems and roofs were turned down because of political rancor from a FEW powerful individuals in position to stall any funding initiative.
In the end and after several years of leaking roofs and because of the effort of several dogged honest politicians, we got the roof(s) replaced.
politics is a lot of work and I prefer riding my Spyder.

:D I think that Jack may be on to something... :roflblack: :clap:

Bob Denman
04-12-2017, 10:48 AM
:D What a co-incidence: my Missus was on the School Board for 12 years. nojoke

vondalyn
04-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Are you talking anyone flying in, or only those with a DWI or DUI?

I'm talking about ANYONE flying in. The rules changed last year. Luckily you can do it all online and the response is fairly quick.

TicketBait
04-12-2017, 01:54 PM

I'm talking about ANYONE flying in. The rules changed last year. Luckily you can do it all online and the response is fairly quick.

So I went here, and it says US citizens (which I am) do not need an eTA for flying to Canada
"click:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-facts-en.asp

:dontknow:so I am confused?

Doesn't look like it costs much $7 CAD, so you are suggesting to still do it, and if so why?

"click:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp

:popcorn:

vondalyn
04-12-2017, 02:05 PM
So I went here, and it says US citizens (which I am) do not need an eTA for flying to Canada

Doesn't look like it costs much $7 CAD, so you are suggesting to still do it, and if so why?

This page says we DO need it. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp?_ga=1.36215648.1751292631.1492023537#eta-exemptions

I was on an Alaska cruise last fall which sailed from Alaska and ended in Vancouver, BC. We flew home from Vancouver and I asked about it when we were exiting, I asked about it since we'd already registered and by last fall we knew we couldn't take the time off to drive. The folks on the CA side of the border said that we'll need it if we're flying in.

800steve
04-12-2017, 02:07 PM
violations will get you denied entry. A passport or nexus card does not show any driving infractions, you will be allowed entry. I do it all the time.

A passport will not get you in with a DWI.

vondalyn
04-12-2017, 02:13 PM

The first link that you have above, specifically says this:
Take note:

Canadian permanent residents do not need an eTA to fly to Canada, but they do need to travel with their Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or PR travel document. Otherwise, they may not be able to board their flight to Canada.
U.S. permanent residents need an eTA to fly to Canada (as well as their U.S. Green Card). They do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
Students and temporary workers from eTA-required countries who received their student or work permit before August 1, 2015, and intend to travel from and return to Canada by air need an eTA.

see the 2nd bullet point -- we need it.

oldgoat
04-12-2017, 02:17 PM
The first link that you have above, specifically says this:
Take note:

Canadian permanent residents do not need an eTA to fly to Canada, but they do need to travel with their Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or PR travel document. Otherwise, they may not be able to board their flight to Canada.
U.S. permanent residents need an eTA to fly to Canada (as well as their U.S. Green Card). They do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
Students and temporary workers from eTA-required countries who received their student or work permit before August 1, 2015, and intend to travel from and return to Canada by air need an eTA.

see the 2nd bullet point -- we need it.

You are referring to Canadian & US "permanent residents". It does not mean Canadian & US "citizens". They don't need that paper.
There is a big difference between a permanent resident and a citizen.

vondalyn
04-12-2017, 02:22 PM
These links refer to Canadian & US "permanent residents". It does not mean Canadian & US citizens.

I just went by the answer I got when I asked about it last fall. I figure if $5 saves me hassle while I travel, I'll do it. I did apply for and get our eTAs, so I expect one less hassle (in theory).

Firefly
04-12-2017, 09:25 PM
A passport will not get you in with a DWI.

Spoke with someone the other day about going to Canada. His son has a recent DUI and had gone in and out many times with no questions, nothing. Then one time they ran his info and the DUI popped up. He was able to just pay $150 for a waiver on the spot and was allowed in.

I think much of this depends on the person checking you in and what kind of mood they're in. nojoke

SilverFox1
04-12-2017, 10:42 PM
That's the way it works Firefly. Both ways I'm afraid. Honestly I believe most of these guards are on a power trip. However, once when I crossed in Sault-Ste-Marie, the guard kept me there for a good 45 minutes. He stepped out of his booth and came right up to my window, leaned over looked around the van said hi to my wife and kids. Just small talking about what we had seen, hunting , guns. boats. Then I mentioned to him, " Officer I think I should be pulling ahead now. The line is filling up and I don't want to frustrate anyone. He told me with a smile First it's you and then the next one and then the next one " and proceeded to ask me if there was anything else I would like to talk about!!! We did, we talked about boats, guns, fishing and hunting.
Real nice guy( that day For sure )

SilverFox :bowdown: