PDA

View Full Version : Canoe from scratch

Cavman
04-10-2017, 10:23 AM
http://m.wimp.com/the-making-of-a-traditional-dugout-canoe-from-start-to-finish/

Motorcycledave
04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
I would've made one hell of a bad pioneer and even a worse Indian

http://m.wimp.com/the-making-of-a-traditional-dugout-canoe-from-start-to-finish/

mowin
04-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Definitely some skilled craftsmanship.

But that thing looked as steady as me on a balance beam after drinking a quart of vodka. :shocked:

Bob Denman
04-10-2017, 05:47 PM
:clap:
But I would really have liked to hear him describing the process, as he was working. :thumbup:

Saluda
04-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Love canoes and kayaks. Always wanted a wooden canoe but they get beat up so easy if you use them a lot. We have plastic, does great but not as nice looking.

Explorer
04-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Before you can learn to carve a boat, you must learn to sharpen your tools. Most people do not understand what sharp is. Many aspiring wood carvers give up in frustration simply because their tools are not sharp enough. It was a pleasure to see those tools work like they were designed to.
Roger

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Definitely some skilled craftsmanship.
No question that is some real craftsmanship. I'm glad they didn't try to play it as a reenactment of making a genuine native American dugout. The native Americans, or Indians as we usually refer to them, burned the inside out of the log. They also didn't have nails! :) And they didn't put the strengthening ribs in there either. And the Indians' dugouts weren't nearly as smooth and fine looking as the one in the video.

Chupaca
04-10-2017, 10:50 PM
They cheated.....propane torch at the end....:roflblack::roflblack: that is amazing..long video longer making it...:thumbup:

cognaccruiser
04-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Before you can learn to carve a boat, you must learn to sharpen your tools. Most people do not understand what sharp is. Many aspiring wood carvers give up in frustration simply because their tools are not sharp enough. It was a pleasure to see those tools work like they were designed to.
Roger

I agree. Those were the exact thoughts I was having when watching. It is as much an art to learning how to properly sharpen those tools as the building of the canoe itself.
As beautiful as it is, it wouldn't be of much use to me for the places we canoe.

Gary

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I agree. Those were the exact thoughts I was having when watching. It is as much an art to learning how to properly sharpen those tools as the building of the canoe itself.
As beautiful as it is, it wouldn't be of much use to me for the places we canoe.
My dad used to say something to the effect you cut yourself with dull tools, not sharp ones. What he was saying is that dull tools slip and then you cut yourself. Won't happen if your tool is sharp.

cognaccruiser
04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
My dad used to say something to the effect you cut yourself with dull tools, not sharp ones. What he was saying is that dull tools slip and then you cut yourself. Won't happen if your tool is sharp.

Obviously he was a wise man!! :thumbup:

Gary

Bob Denman
04-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Actually; when it's sharp: it just cuts deep enough to make things more interesting! nojoke

Been there: done that! (own the sign...)

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Obviously he was a wise man!! :thumbup:

Gary
Yep, the same man who, back before good night lighting was available, said, "The daylight laughs at the night's work!" :thumbup:

He also said this about mistakes when building something that remain when the job is finished, "The foolish man won't notice it and the wise man knows better than to say anything!"