PDA

View Full Version : RPM shift points?

gnkc
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't mean for this to be a loaded question but here goes.
I'm trying to figure out the rpm sweet spot to where shifting into 5th gear doesn't feel like it's bogging the engine. There is nothing I can find in the owner's manual that talks about rpm ranges for the gears.
I have about 350 miles on my SM5 Spyder now. Had my first long ride of 125 miles on Friday so it's really the first time of riding at different speeds on different types of roads. There were times where it seemed that I was really wrapping up the engine in 4th gear (4500 rpm), but 5th gear just didn't feel right. On twisty hills I just left it in 4th gear. With a full face helmet, I really can't hear the engine that much, but it just felt like the engine was bogging down. The bike idles and runs fine, not overheating or anything. For now, I still have the stock exhaust. I'm trying not to get too crazy with it until it gets to the 600 mile break-in.
I know I'm still in the learning curve with this thing and it appears that the engine doesn't mind high revs, but what is YOUR minimum rpm for 5th gear?? Maybe it just needs more revs than I am used to. Thanks.

Dudley
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't mean for this to be a loaded question but here goes.
I'm trying to figure out the rpm sweet spot to where shifting into 5th gear doesn't feel like it's bogging the engine. There is nothing I can find in the owner's manual that talks about rpm ranges for the gears.
I have about 350 miles on my SM5 Spyder now. Had my first long ride of 125 miles on Friday so it's really the first time of riding at different speeds on different types of roads. There were times where it seemed that I was really wrapping up the engine in 4th gear (4500 rpm), but 5th gear just didn't feel right. On twisty hills I just left it in 4th gear. With a full face helmet, I really can't hear the engine that much, but it just felt like the engine was bogging down. The bike idles and runs fine, not overheating or anything. For now, I still have the stock exhaust. I'm trying not to get too crazy with it until it gets to the 600 mile break-in.
I know I'm still in the learning curve with this thing and it appears that the engine doesn't mind high revs, but what is YOUR minimum rpm for 5th gear?? Maybe it just needs more revs than I am used to. Thanks.

welcome
Thank you for your question. The following Thread asked the same basic question and has several riders' opinions.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10289

Hope this helps you out. As a new rider, we welcome any question you may have. We all learn from each other. My basic rule for highway driving, if it gets below 4500, I drop a gear. Driving in a too low RPM range causes the engine to struggle. It is happier when it doesn't struggle.

gnkc
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your response and the link. I'll just keep the revs up, sounds like the engine can handle it. I understand why it doesn't have a sixth gear, but it would sure be nice.;)