PDA

View Full Version : Brake question

retread
04-08-2017, 05:12 PM
I just found out my '12 RT has a frozen rear caliper, and BRP has no rebuild kit available. The new caliper is almost $600.00!!!!! I know the newer ones have Brembo brakes, what brand is on the '12?

john

pegasus1300
04-08-2017, 05:33 PM
The 12's have the other model caliper,don't remember the name. I think they changed in 2014.
I would get hold of pinwall cycle(a salvage yard for motorcycles) and see what they want for one.
You can google their contact info.

Peter Aawen
04-08-2017, 05:58 PM
..... I think they changed in 2014......

My 2013 RT came with the Brembo brakes...... maybe it's time to consider upgrading your Spyder to Brembos too, retread? Might be cheaper! :shocked:

Bob Denman
04-08-2017, 06:02 PM
My 2013 RT came with the Brembo brakes...... maybe it's time to consider upgrading your Spyder to Brembos too, retread? Might be cheaper! :shocked:
Fitting a Brembo caliper to the rear is feasible...
But for the front: you'd also need to change to 15" wheels and tires also. :yikes:
That's not a BAD thing: just more expensive!

Roadster Renovations
04-08-2017, 06:13 PM
...and may be different with the parking brake issue. You would need the hardware the connects the cable to adjust it correctly.
I rarely use used brake parts, but in this case, that might be the best idea.
You also could pull the caliper, drain the brake fluid and put penetrating oil in it with the piston down so that the oil will go around it. After several hours use a block of wood to keep from damaging the piston, and shoot compressed air in the threaded opening with a rubber noozle. If you can get the piston out, you should be able to use a brake hone to clean the inner surface and find a O ring manufacturer that has a petroleum resistant O ring. We used to do them all the time 30 years ago, but it became cheaper to just replace rather than rebuild. Which in your case, you can't do. You might even be able to reuse the O ring and dust boot if you are careful. Good luck...

Highwayman2013
04-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Cheaper here:
powersportswarehouse.com $430
http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/

KX5062
04-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Check Ural motorcycle parts. The rear calipers appear to be the same. I have not verified this, but I have visually compared them and at least outwardly they look the same.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cptjam
04-08-2017, 11:20 PM
...and may be different with the parking brake issue. You would need the hardware the connects the cable to adjust it correctly.
I rarely use used brake parts, but in this case, that might be the best idea.
You also could pull the caliper, drain the brake fluid and put penetrating oil in it with the piston down so that the oil will go around it. After several hours use a block of wood to keep from damaging the piston, and shoot compressed air in the threaded opening with a rubber noozle. If you can get the piston out, you should be able to use a brake hone to clean the inner surface and find a O ring manufacturer that has a petroleum resistant O ring. We used to do them all the time 30 years ago, but it became cheaper to just replace rather than rebuild. Which in your case, you can't do. You might even be able to reuse the O ring and dust boot if you are careful. Good luck...
Concur. Take it off, take it apart, unstick the piston. Not that big a deal. What idiot said it could not be repaired? The cheap attempt: get a large c clamp. Get a socket big enough to go over the parking brake shaft and nut. Unfreeze the piston. Tighten c clamp, loosen c clamp, step on brake. Repeat as often as needed. Joe

Highwayman2013
04-09-2017, 12:12 AM
I just found out my '12 RT has a frozen rear caliper, and BRP has no rebuild kit available. The new caliper is almost $600.00!!!!! I know the newer ones have Brembo brakes, what brand is on the '12?

john

Check the sliding sleeves too, could be part of it.