PDA

View Full Version : GIVI Bags Dismount

Dudley
04-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Has anyone with GIVI V35 bags had any issue about taking them off to "carry-away"? Tried yesterday, one finally came off, the other one two of us rocked the Spyder trying to get it to release...no go. Today I tried again, finally got them both off. Anything I should know that would help???

igor
04-20-2009, 12:22 AM
have the same problem and i must pull one real hard

johnboyjohn.pretious
04-20-2009, 07:00 AM
A little lubrication on the hinge locks works wonders !!!

Also make sure the bags are pushed hard down onto the bottom lugs, these may need to be adjusted if too tight. If not down properly the hinges will NOT release. (safety feature).

bjt
04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Has anyone with GIVI V35 bags had any issue about taking them off to "carry-away"? Tried yesterday, one finally came off, the other one two of us rocked the Spyder trying to get it to release...no go. Today I tried again, finally got them both off. Anything I should know that would help???

have the same problem and i must pull one real hard

A little lubrication on the hinge locks works wonders !!!

Also make sure the bags are pushed hard down onto the bottom lugs, these may need to be adjusted if too tight. If not down properly the hinges will NOT release. (safety feature).

Same here as far as the tough release. Director told me his come off kind of hard also. I did give them a decent squirt of WD40 on the rotating latches and the center latch (not so much the latches themselves but trying to get the lube into the mechanism) and they came off much easier the past few days. Before, I worried I was going to snap the latches off by pulling so hard. I would try to lift up on the handle while pushing the button and pulling away from the rack and that seemed to make things easier also.

Dudley
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I did spray some lube in the 2 latch areas, and also the center latch that looks like a door lock mechanism. After spraying everything, with the bags off I could get the latches to snap open without any assistance. The most difficult operation is pushing down on the red button with one hand and pulling/tugging/lifting with the other. The mental telepathy communication going on between me and the bags was a bit furious!
While I was at it, I also put some 3-in-1 oil in the key locks. I was unable to unlock one of them Saturday. Still cound not unlock it yesterday until after applying the 3-in-1.
I will continue playing with them and see if I can improve anything.

BRPjunkie
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Do you have I7 or Givi racks? My V35 cases come off the Givi racks very easily. I have shown them to lots of people and each time they click off and on with ease.

jnt
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
+1 on lube. I took ours apart to replace the lock cylinders to match the top case. One bag needs more lube. What's behind the 'red button' to release the mounting latches is more complex than needed IMNSHO.

igor
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
i have Givi racks...and problem onli with one bag...ill try some WD40

Dudley
04-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Do you have I7 or Givi racks? My V35 cases come off the Givi racks very easily. I have shown them to lots of people and each time they click off and on with ease.

I have the I-7 racks.

bjt
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM

i have Givi racks...and problem onli with one bag...ill try some WD40

My problem with the GIVI bags on the I7 rack started with the left bag first, the right would always come off easily. About 4 months later, both were difficult to remove. I'm thinking that dust can work its way into the mechanisms and cause problems. WD40 probably isn't the best thing to do for them as it will have a tendency to attract and hold dust even more but it worked for the short term.

bjt
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
+1 on lube. I took ours apart to replace the lock cylinders to match the top case. One bag needs more lube. What's behind the 'red button' to release the mounting latches is more complex than needed IMNSHO.

Does this mean we can access the mechanisms? I haven't looked at it that closely but I might in the next few days as time allows.

Dudley
04-20-2009, 05:13 PM
My problem with the GIVI bags on the I7 rack started with the left bag first, the right would always come off easily. About 4 months later, both were difficult to remove. I'm thinking that dust can work its way into the mechanisms and cause problems. WD40 probably isn't the best thing to do for them as it will have a tendency to attract and hold dust even more but it worked for the short term.

Dust was my first thought. Where we live it's desert, so go figure what's stuck in that assembly. Guess either keep spraying or keep them on if they refuse to detach. Still like'm.

Dudley
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
OK, after all our discussions I took the bags off again today. They were a lot easier than before the oil. Setting them down I could easily pop the end latches...no problem. Then the light bulb came on! The center locking device, the one that locks underneath that silver piece on the rack! Now, I may be the only one doing it wrong, but...what happens when we pull up on the bags to release them? The center lock pushes harder into the silver piece. If the tumbler or whatever it's callled does not go down as much as it should, it keeps the bag from being pulled from the rack, causing pressure against the end latches, making them harder to release. So, when I just push the red button, let the end latches start to release, then pull out they release totally and the bag is in my hand.

BRPjunkie
04-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the Givi racks come with the bottom rack lugs and center top rack latch assembled. I see in the I7 instructions that both the bottom rack lugs and the top center rack latch need to be attached. While everything should align, it does not take much for a for a slightly misaligned three point attachment system to bind. Might want to check to make sure all are tight and straight.

Dudley
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the Givi racks come with the bottom rack lugs and center top rack latch assembled. I see in the I7 instructions that both the bottom rack lugs and the top center rack latch need to be attached. While everything should align, it does not take much for a for a slightly misaligned three point attachment system to bind. Might want to check to make sure all are tight and straight.

Bottom lugs are good. Will check the center latch. Thanks.

Saluda
04-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Thought I was the only one. Great bags and I'm not sorry I bought them but for the money this should not be an issue.