PDA

View Full Version : Dead spyder

greatrides
04-03-2017, 06:50 PM
3 weeks ago I lost all gears. Final drive pulley Spune on the output shaft. I got it to the shop that day 125 miles away. They told me they were 4 weeks out. 4 days later they called and told me pulley and output shaft need replaced. 7 days later they got the parts. 6 days later they started the work and they told me a 2 hour repair. So the next day I call to see if I could still pick it up the next day and that is were it all went down hill. They told me a gadget did not get ordered and they would know more Monday. So I called today Monday April 3. So I don't know if the gasket was an issue or not but now they are replacing every gear and bearing on the output shaft! One part is on back order so who knows when I will get it back. The real cool thing is its been in the shop because of metal in the oil..on the drain plug and the oil filter. The shop said it's all normal. I think I know where the metal came from!! Done with my rant!!

pegasus1300
04-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Do you still have warranty coverage?

Ron2andia
04-03-2017, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping they do with all that work:gaah:

Roadster Renovations
04-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Cost $20 an oil change, but I think it's worth it. We run a oil analysis on each oil change. If nothing else, that gives you a record if something starts going South. We buy ours at NAPA.
Hope they get you straightened out and back on the rode soon. I'm assuming you have an F3?

Chupaca
04-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Interesting shop....gotta know how they are going to change an output shaft, pulley and all the corresponding parts in 2 hours....:yikes: The pulley maybe....sorry you don't have a closer dealer that you can check on. Wish shops would let you get your own parts so you know exactly if and when you will have all the parts needed for the job. The worst is they tear it all down and it sits...and other things happen...parts get lost etc. Do hope they come through for you soon...:pray:

PMK
04-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Time Bomb...they are only fixing the gearbox on a shared sump design.

All the best with it, but don't expect the filter caught every metal peice and that it never got into the engine, clutch, or oil pumps.

Bob Denman
04-04-2017, 08:17 AM
:shocked: :agree: :banghead:

quasi
04-04-2017, 10:50 AM
how do these output shafts get screwed up? aren't they splined at the pulley mounting point? is the bolt securing the pulley coming lose that causes this?

DrewNJ
04-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Nobody is replacing an output shaft in 2 hours. Unless the 1330 is something magical.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DrewNJ
04-04-2017, 02:16 PM
how do these output shafts get screwed up? aren't they splined at the pulley mounting point? is the bolt securing the pulley coming lose that causes this?
yes and yes.
Some bikes are more susceptible to it for whatever reason. It's a good idea to mark the bolt to the pulley with a paint pen and check it when you do an oil change.
I know one guy who has had that bolt start to loosen multiple times and no matter what he did it would start to back out slowly. He finally did a single tack weld between the bolt and pulley. No issues since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

greatrides
04-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Do you still have warranty coverage?

Yes I do

greatrides
04-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Cost $20 an oil change, but I think it's worth it. We run a oil analysis on each oil change. If nothing else, that gives you a record if something starts going South. We buy ours at NAPA.
Hope they get you straightened out and back on the rode soon. I'm assuming you have an F3?

Yes I do 2015 that I bought new July 2016.

greatrides
04-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Interesting shop....gotta know how they are going to change an output shaft, pulley and all the corresponding parts in 2 hours....:yikes: The pulley maybe....sorry you don't have a closer dealer that you can check on. Wish shops would let you get your own parts so you know exactly if and when you will have all the parts needed for the job. The worst is they tear it all down and it sits...and other things happen...parts get lost etc. Do hope they come through for you soon...:pray:

I have a dealer 5 miles from the house but I have been asked not to come back!! Long story ..
It looks like a bearing came apart so now they are waiting on the bearing that is on back order! So new spyder as the motor removed and they fished all of the broken parts out!!!!nojoke

greatrides
04-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Time Bomb...they are only fixing the gearbox on a shared sump design.

All the best with it, but don't expect the filter caught every metal peice and that it never got into the engine, clutch, or oil pumps.

Like this145801

greatrides
04-04-2017, 05:04 PM

That is want I hear the bolt comes loss and it all comes apart.