PDA

View Full Version : What Size Fuse

ZOSO
04-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I installed BRP 12 volt jack using the stock harness. What is the largest fuse I can use for this?

Secondly, fuse port marked F6, assessory not switched: To make this hot, do you use a fuse with a pigtail? What is the largest fuse allowable?

NancysToy
04-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I installed BRP 12 volt jack using the stock harness. What is the largest fuse I can use for this?

Secondly, fuse port marked F6, assessory not switched: To make this hot, do you use a fuse with a pigtail? What is the largest fuse allowable?
3 amp max for each, 20 ga wire in harness, as I recall. The unswitched accessory wiring harness is fastend under the trunk, too.
-Scotty

ZOSO
04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
thanks Scotty

ZOSO
04-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't see a wiring harness for unswitched accessory.

bjt
04-20-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't see a wiring harness for unswitched accessory.

I think they are normally fastened (zip tie, cable tie, ty-wrap, whatever you call them) to the frame or other wires at the left side of the Spyder, just behind the trunk. Its just two wires with the push on terminals that attach to the BRP 12 volt outlet.

NancysToy
04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
I think they are normally fastened (zip tie, cable tie, ty-wrap, whatever you call them) to the frame or other wires at the left side of the Spyder, just behind the trunk. Its just two wires with the push on terminals that attach to the BRP 12 volt outlet.
There are two harnesses, just as there are two fuse locations. The switched accessory connector is stored in the front lateral frame section on the left side, near the suspension, unless the trunk outlet is already installed. It is well hidden. That harness contains a violet wire with a yellow stripe plus a black ground wire, both 20 gauge.

I can't find the forum reference to the other harness. It may be stored in the same area, but I seem to remember reading that it was tie-wrapped elsewhere (to another wiring harness?), nearby. That (unswitched) harness has a violet wire with an orange stripe plus a black, also 20 gauge. It is fed by Fuse 5 in the fuse box.
-Scotty

Spydr in KS
04-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I can't find the forum reference to the other harness. It may be stored in the same area, but I seem to remember reading that it was tie-wrapped elsewhere (to another wiring harness?), nearby. That (unswitched) harness has a violet wire with an orange stripe plus a black, also 20 gauge. It is fed by Fuse 5 in the fuse box.
-Scotty

The unswitched harness is located near the trunk latch, hidden behind the main harness. It has a white connector on the end that is clipped in place. The wiring colors are as Scotty described.

ZOSO
04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I see it, above flat part of the frame held in place my a white connector holder.

Rando
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
This may sound stupid but what type of accessory would you want to connect to an unswitched accessory harness? Why would BRP have included it?

ZOSO
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
A cell phone charger.

wyliec
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
This may sound stupid but what type of accessory would you want to connect to an unswitched accessory harness? Why would BRP have included it?

I have an unswitched for a battery tender.

Big Arm
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM

I would think this would be ideal also for a GPS power source, so as not to have to reprogram it when the power is normally shut off.