PDA

View Full Version : New Member

mrmeeks
04-02-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm a new member from Oregon. I am currently trying to decide which F3S I want and which initial assessors are a must right from the start. I'm a long time rider since I was 18. My last bike was a 2008 Triumph Street Triple. I had an accident in Sept. 2012 and broke my left pelvis all up and a year later had my left hip replaced because I no longer had any cartilage there and arthritis was setting in. Because of my wife having to wait on me hand and foot for several mounts and being traumatized more than I was she didn't want me to get another bike of any type. Well she recently she gave me the OK to get a Spyder. I had let my MC endorsement expire and I'm now going to get a 3 wheal only endorsement. So I hope to have everything sorted out before summer so I can get back into riding.

Chupaca
04-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Scary X-ray, nice bike. Glad you are recooperated and the wife has okayed your getting back out on the road. Test ryde all the models and see which one will be most comfortabel for you. Don't worry about the handling it can be adjusted as you get used to the ryde...good luck...:thumbup:

ingramwc
04-02-2017, 10:42 AM
:welcome:Welcome to the site!!!! There is a wealth of information lurking here on SPYDERLOVERS!!! There is a thread in this topic called "Dos and Do Nots for new Spyder Owners." Be sure to read this, it has great info about all models of Spyders!!! I have had both of my hips replaced, although I did not have the broken pelvis. You should be able to ride a Spyder and be quite comfortable! Happy hunting for your new or new to you Spyder!!! There is a "For Sale" thread here where you might find your next ride!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

fjray
04-02-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm in Lapine so we are neighbors. When you get your ride we need to hook up. If I don't have the spyder I'll still have a wing to ride.

Jeriatric
04-02-2017, 10:48 AM
It keeps many of us up, moving and active and they continue to improve its uses.

Check this out.

Titanium foam bone replacements on the way (http://newatlas.com/tifoam-titanium-bone-implants/16453/)

Welcome back to the other side.

Bob Denman
04-02-2017, 11:00 AM
:welcome: And I LOVE Your Avatar!
Is there any chance of you posting it as a full-size picture? :2thumbs:

Deanna777
04-02-2017, 11:10 AM
:welcome: we are here to help, this site has a lot of useful info. :congrats:

Be sure to check out the "Vendors" and the Events/Rides sections on the homepage.

I know that you'll get farkle ideas from us too!

Deanna

Mr. Pickels
04-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Welcome this a great site and everyone has been very helpful to me. I just bought the F3-T. I have my own injury related limitations and went with the F3-t over the RT, because the riding position was right for me. I can't believe I waited this long to get one lol. What a hoot to drive!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-02-2017, 11:55 AM
:welcome:Welcome to the site!!!! There is a wealth of information lurking here on SPYDERLOVERS!!! There is a thread in this topic called "Dos and Do Nots for new Spyder Owners." Be sure to read this, it has great info about all models of Spyders!!! I have had both of my hips replaced, although I did not have the broken pelvis. You should be able to ride a Spyder and be quite comfortable! Happy hunting for your new or new to you Spyder!!! There is a "For Sale" thread here where you might find your next ride!!!:thumbup::thumbup:
:agree: .......Mike :bbq:

ARtraveler
04-02-2017, 01:23 PM
:welcome: You have come to the right place. Read the Do's and Don'ts as suggested.

Test drive the models you are interested in. Make sure you get the one that works for YOU. Don't make a $26,000 mistake.

RE: Accessories--lights are always a good drive off accessory. I recommend on giving it a 1000 miles before doing any major mods. Get to know YOUR machine and what would be an actual modification that works for you. Many replace the OEM seats also.

Let us know what you do. Pictures are all important. :yes::yes:

JerryB
04-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Hi mrmeeks,

Re: I'm now going to get a 3 wheal only endorsement.

I accept that I do not keep up with the new laws on a daily basis; however, I have never heard of this in Oregon.

Is this for real?

Jerry Baumchen
On the west side of the Cascades

k7xi
04-02-2017, 05:53 PM
I don't think there is a "three wheel only" license in Oregon. You have to take the motorcycle Team Oregon course. The cost is $199, takes 3 days for both the classroom and skills test, the 250cc motorcycle is furnished and if you pass they mail you a certificate to take to the dmv, who then charge you some more. (of course). I see the course is given almost every weekend in Bend. Look up Team Oregon.

k7xi
04-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Oh yeah, the DMV wants about $90 to put an "M" on your license.

fjray
04-02-2017, 06:03 PM
There is a three wheel only license available in Oregon. You have to pass a written test and then pass a practical test. The only field testing sites are in Portland and Salem.

pegmcg
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM
In IL, you can get an "M" or a three wheel only. If you have an M, you can ride 2 or 3 wheels without additional testing. If you are use to riding 2 wheels, it might be easier to take the M test since the Spyder handles differently. The advice about riding them all is the best. I had a 2014 Limited with less than 3,000 miles and traded it for for a 2016 F-3 because of the U-fit system and the lower profile. I am under 5 feet tall, bike has been modified to fit me, so I am one happy ryder!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

mrmeeks
04-03-2017, 09:58 AM
:welcome: And I LOVE Your Avatar!
Is there any chance of you posting it as a full-size picture? :2thumbs:

I'm not sure what you call full size. Are these good enough? I saned this from some stickers I bought off of a French Triumph Street Triple accessory site years ago. I thought it would be good for the new Spyder.

Zip
04-03-2017, 10:44 AM
:welcome: & :congrats:

Deanna777
04-03-2017, 12:18 PM
:nopic:

Deanna

Ranman42
04-03-2017, 12:49 PM
:congrats::welcome: Like everyone else said test , test and test again till you find what you like. And I too love that avatar. Perhaps someone smarter than me could make into the new 1330 emoticon!!! Would make a great sticker too.

Bfromla
04-03-2017, 01:35 PM

I'm not sure what you call full size. Are these good enough? I saned this from some stickers I bought off of a French Triumph Street Triple accessory site years ago. I thought it would be good for the new Spyder.
:2thumbs::congrats: & ya those pics are perfect for the 3 cylinder 1330:firstplace: As far as the full size Bob was asking:dontknow: But still good for the rest of us:thumbup: Thx&:welcome:

south GA Farm Boy
04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Trying getting on and off both the RT's and the F-3's! Then how does the seat feel. Everyone have different opinions. I think the RT's are easier to step up and get on, but with your surgery that may not be true! So try both at a dealer, and then once you decide you can look for a good used one or buy a new one at a good dealer! Shop around once you have tried those two! Most everyone on this site are great people with good advice, just sometime a difference in opinion! Glad to have you as a Spyder owner!

JerryB
04-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Hi fjray

Re: There is a three wheel only license available in Oregon.

I just checked with the Oregon DMV & three years ago they began offering a 'restricted' 3-wheel endorsement.

You can still get an 'unrestricted' motorcycle endorsement ( which I have ) which allows riding any type of motorcycle.

Things change,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) No seperate license, it is an endorsement; like all of the other stuff that can be on your Driver's License.

SPYDERGUY1
04-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Really, did not know that, did the Oregon coastline years ago on my Spyder and never had any issues. Apparently some provinces ans states are quite different from another. Would suck to go for a ride somewhere only to find out you did not have the proper classification of license. Been through Oregon, Montana, Washington, California, and never any problems. Perhaps the Canadian plates ?? No idea.

LateLifeCrisis
04-03-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm a new member from Oregon. I am currently trying to decide which F3S I want and which initial assessors are a must right from the start. I'm a long time rider since I was 18. My last bike was a 2008 Triumph Street Triple. I had an accident in Sept. 2012 and broke my left pelvis all up and a year later had my left hip replaced because I no longer had any cartilage there and arthritis was setting in. Because of my wife having to wait on me hand and foot for several mounts and being traumatized more than I was she didn't want me to get another bike of any type. Well she recently she gave me the OK to get a Spyder. I had let my MC endorsement expire and I'm now going to get a 3 wheal only endorsement. So I hope to have everything sorted out before summer so I can get back into riding.

:yikes: That's quite that x-ray! As you read thru these forums, you'll find quite a few of us "Bionic Spyder Ryders" that have had hip and knee replacements; so welcome to the club. Where there's a will, there's a way! My hip replacement gave me my life back......:dg1:As for accessories - between the dealer and online sites, it's like you're a kid in a candy store. One I would recommend is a driver backrest. You'll thank me later.......

mrmeeks
04-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Trying getting on and off both the RT's and the F-3's! Then how does the seat feel. Everyone have different opinions. I think the RT's are easier to step up and get on, but with your surgery that may not be true! So try both at a dealer, and then once you decide you can look for a good used one or buy a new one at a good dealer! Shop around once you have tried those two! Most everyone on this site are great people with good advice, just sometime a difference in opinion! Glad to have you as a Spyder owner!

F-3S is my OLLY consideration for sure! Would not be happy with anything else.145784 I want the 1330 engine with the 10 more HP. Soon after my accident I was considering the RTS (I think it was. The sporty model. I'm not a bagger type for my bike. Not against them ether.} but the F-3S didn't sxist then.

easysuper
04-04-2017, 08:47 AM
At one time you could get a restricted 3 wheel licence but that has now changed, my wife just made it under the wire 3 years ago and she was lucky as she had no desire what so ever to get up on two wheels. But in three years she has logged over 40k on her spyders. Bend has a great dealer as I have stopped several time as we have passed through visiting friends we made when we lived there 40 years ago. Central Oregon has some great rides and you wont regret getting the spyder, just keep in mind you will need to relearn a few things and don't compare your spyder to your 2 wheels. All the great twistys over there will be fun in a whole new way.