PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon--The Can Am Hybrid

ARtraveler
03-31-2017, 07:30 PM
BRP announced today that the new Can Am Hybrid Roadster would be available in June of 2017. It is a combination of an electric powered unit with a small back up Rotax engine. Mileage on the electric charge is said to be a hundred miles plus (no typo here) and another hundred and twenty five miles on the rotax.

The model will be come in a Premier Edition only and there will only be 250 made for the year 2017. Cost is an unbelievable $36,999. (I was predicting in the $40K or higher range.)

Just a quick FYI.

http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/BBQMV/i-7rcJsXF/0/M/DSCF5570-M.jpg

Kwalsh
03-31-2017, 07:42 PM
i am a fan, 250 miles before stopping, I would take it

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Only 250 :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ...... maybe they will sell all of them in five years ....... My 2014 RT avg's 40 + mpg has 3 X's the storage ...... I'm a :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: person ....... jmho ....... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
03-31-2017, 08:48 PM
That thing has been around for quite a while now..so they are going for a mid year production :dontknow: and a hybrid at that...

jerpinoy
03-31-2017, 08:57 PM
That will the smart move. I hope its not like another Elio motors :banghead:hope:banghead: LOL.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack:

Mr. Pickels
03-31-2017, 10:25 PM
Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfromla
04-01-2017, 02:53 AM
BRP announced today that the new Can Am Hybrid Roadster would be available in June of 2017. It is a combination of an electric powered unit with a small back up Rotax engine. Mileage on the electric charge is said to be a hundred miles plus (no typo here) and another hundred and twenty five miles on the rotax.

The model will be come in a Premier Edition only and there will only be 250 made for the year 2017. Cost is an unbelievable $36,999. (I was predicting in the $40K or higher range.)

Just a quick FYI.

Link plz i can find where they thought it was coming in 2013 but nothing like what you described. Plz share. Thx:ohyea:

armyspydervet
04-01-2017, 05:36 AM
C'mon folks. It's April fools day. You fell for this? :roflblack:

If it is real, I wish they would invest their R&D time and dollars into perfecting what they already make.

RiverCity45
04-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Breech of April Fool's Day protocol! OP posted on 3/31, not 4/1. 🤣

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Highwayman2013
04-01-2017, 08:48 AM
LOL

Road-Kill
04-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Just a quick FYI.

This reminds me of the current cager (4 wheel) Hybrids that cost an average $10-15,000 more than a gas vehicle. You have to drive them more than a million miles to get those extra bucks back. This is virtue signaling by Can-Am and their marketing strategy will sell it as going green to a bunch of gullible fools:joke:

Jeriatric
04-01-2017, 09:06 AM
April first............right?

:spyder::dontknow:

Buckeye Bleau
04-01-2017, 09:21 AM
This reminds me of the current cager (4 wheel) Hybrids that cost an average $10-15,000 more than a gas vehicle. You have to drive them more than a million miles to get those extra bucks back. This is virtue signaling by Can-Am and their marketing strategy will sell it as going green to a bunch of gullible fools:joke:

That is a totally selfish point of view, looking at it squarely from the point of view with economic recovery.:yikes:

How arrogant of you not to consider how the entire planet and all of its creatures are eternally punished by your outlandish activities with the burning of fossil fuels. After all, before the industrial age the planet never had climatic changes, mankind and your foolish internal combustion engines have caused this entire eco system to be destroyed. Meanwhile all you consider is the payback time, how dare you.:opps:

I suppose the next thing you will want is your right to drink and drive returned to you, my goodness, with the insanity never end. :banghead:

Joe

PrairieSpyder
04-01-2017, 09:24 AM
Is that an RS or ST body? Maybe April Fool article, but if not . . . not for me! :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
04-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Did somebody shout "April Fools!" yet? :D

jwulf74
04-01-2017, 11:06 AM
That is a totally selfish point of view, looking at it squarely from the point of view with economic recovery.:yikes:

How arrogant of you not to consider how the entire planet and all of its creatures are eternally punished by your outlandish activities with the burning of fossil fuels. After all, before the industrial age the planet never had climatic changes, mankind and your foolish internal combustion engines have caused this entire eco system to be destroyed. Meanwhile all you consider is the payback time, how dare you.:opps:

I suppose the next thing you will want is your right to drink and drive returned to you, my goodness, with the insanity never end. :banghead:

Joe

And just where does the majority of electricity come from.. coal, nuclear, natural gas... all just as bad or worse than burning gas..

Judge64
04-01-2017, 11:30 AM
And just where does the majority of electricity come from.. coal, nuclear, natural gas... all just as bad or worse than burning gas..

It comes from the Flux Capacitor.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armyspydervet
04-01-2017, 12:11 PM

Joe

The price of having mankind on this planet makes the planet more toxic than it was before we occupied it. With that being said, there is no concrete proof that we are the cause of global warming. For every expert that "proves" we cause it, I will find another that proves we don't. The Great Lakes were formed over billions of years by the receding of glaciers...who caused that global warming?

With that being said, I think we should all be good stewards of the environment and our non-renewable resources. It doesn't matter what technologies we use, they all have some impact on the environment...research how a battery is made and what happens to it after its lifespan is complete...not a very environmentally friendly technology.

Now if they invent a nuclear powered Spyder...I'm in!!!:roflblack:

Deanna777
04-01-2017, 01:57 PM
If it's an April fool's joke or not, I am keeping my 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna

Road-Kill
04-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Joe

You are so correct. After reading this I went to my local bridge.....stood by the edge staring down into the abyss....contemplating my misimformed unjust sancimonious opinion.......and then I realized.......screw it I'll burn some fuel and went for a ride:rolleyes:

ARtraveler
04-01-2017, 03:00 PM
This thread was of course an April Fools posting.

I actually did the same in 2013. For today, the numbers were changed up a bit to protect the innocent. I figured that we have had a few new people on the site since 2013 and wanted to see how many would come forth and comment.

2013: 19 people commented, and 4600+ viewed the thread.

2017: 29 people commented, and 1300+ viewed the thread.

I probably will not repeat this particular one again. The picture looked a bit dated to me this go around.

Hope it was fun for you. :yes:

Bensonoid
04-01-2017, 06:18 PM

It comes from volcanoes.

wd8ajj
04-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Rumor has it they worked with Radio Shack on the battery technology.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-01-2017, 07:27 PM
They actually have been working on an electric Spyder in an F3 body. Go to the Youtube page and you'll see it was posted by CommunicationsBRP last June.

https://youtu.be/Gr11aJ4N_yU

Deer Slayer
04-01-2017, 07:54 PM
April first? If not, if it don't stink like gas, I don't want it!:roflblack:

Firefly
04-04-2017, 09:14 AM

The nice thing about electric vehicles is they can get their power from many sources. As the sources of generating electricity change your vehicle won't know the difference and requires zero modifications. Solar and wind are the obvious clean choices for the future. Nuclear and natural gas are nowhere near as 'bad' as coal or burning gasoline.

If we'd stop dragging our knuckles and embrace solar and wind we'd all be better off...

Firefly
04-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Actually that's not true. You have to factor in all of the various savings of having an electric vehicle. Far less maintenance, etc.
I have friends with a Chevy Volt that get over 500 MPG and the 'extra' $10K the car cost compared to a gas model was saved in a matter of 5 years.

Tesla is the one to watch... along with the new fully electric Chevy Bolt. Fantastic technology that should become the standard.
Those against electric vehicles are reminiscent of those who clung to their horse and buggies back in 1900. The future is an electric one.

Firefly
04-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Just a quick FYI.

Nice try .. a day too early. They made one of these and never really were planning on brining it to market.
A fuel cell electric would be the thing to do.

Zip
04-04-2017, 09:48 AM
The Spyder Hybrid will be able to run in a purely electric mode, with BRP aiming for a top speed of 30 mph and a range of 20 miles. BRP hopes to achieve a total range of 375 miles using both the electric motor and internal combustion engine.

OOOO I can't wait

ARtraveler
04-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Nice try .. a day too early. They made one of these and never really were planning on brining it to market.
A fuel cell electric would be the thing to do.

The day early was intentional--to try to miss the April Fool tipoff.

As I understand it, the model shown of the "green" :ani29:, did not have any engine. :thumbup:

Ron2andia
04-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Loool

jaherbst
04-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Aww Yes, the Frenzy of the Rumor mill at work again and we are gullible once again. What's that song Bob? "Fools Rush In" or a "Sudden rush to Judgement". This has

been around several times before and the amazing thing about it is the same "posters" all bit on it again.

When I am tempted by such matter I click on my Apple app. that says Breathe. Deep Breathe to the expanding blue cloud rhythm and I relax and regain all my senses!

:joke:

Jack

WilderThomas
04-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Actually that's not true. You have to factor in all of the various savings of having an electric vehicle. Far less maintenance, etc.
I have friends with a Chevy Volt that get over 500 MPG and the 'extra' $10K the car cost compared to a gas model was saved in a matter of 5 years.

Tesla is the one to watch... along with the new fully electric Chevy Bolt. Fantastic technology that should become the standard.
Those against electric vehicles are reminiscent of those who clung to their horse and buggies back in 1900. The future is an electric one.

My wife and I have a 2003 Toyota Prius. We moved from Vernonia, Oregon to Wilder, Idaho in 2014 and one of the first things we had to do was register it with the DMV. Amongst the numerous fees associated with registering a vehicle, there was also the $75 hybrid vehicle fee. Presumably for the state to make up, for what it was losing in fuel sales for a fuel efficient vehicle. Fortunately, that was modified in 2017, so now only owners of the hybrid plug in vehicles are required to pay the fee. Perhaps it would be interesting to see hydrogen fuel cell Can Am's, once a national infrastructure was set up to accommodate them. And other vehicles like the Honda Clarity.

Bob Denman
04-05-2017, 07:31 AM
:shocked: Has everybody forgotten that this was just an April Fools post? :dontknow:

Peter Aawen
04-05-2017, 07:54 AM
.....Those against electric vehicles are reminiscent of those who clung to their horse and buggies back in 1900. The future is an electric one.

Except that atm, the bulk of the electricity needed by those vehicles to recharge is generated by burning fossil fuels of one sort or another.... & apart from nuclear power, none of the current alternatives stand any realistic chance of supplying ALL of our electricity needs now or in the forseeable future! :shocked: And that ain't any April Fools joke!

Just sayin' :dontknow:

jcthorne
04-05-2017, 08:15 AM
My wife and I have a 2003 Toyota Prius. We moved from Vernonia, Oregon to Wilder, Idaho in 2014 and one of the first things we had to do was register it with the DMV. Amongst the numerous fees associated with registering a vehicle, there was also the $75 hybrid vehicle fee. Presumably for the state to make up, for what it was losing in fuel sales for a fuel efficient vehicle. Fortunately, that was modified in 2017, so now only owners of the hybrid plug in vehicles are required to pay the fee. Perhaps it would be interesting to see hydrogen fuel cell Can Am's, once a national infrastructure was set up to accommodate them. And other vehicles like the Honda Clarity.

There
is not nor will be a hydrogen infrastructure in your or my lifetime. It does not make economic sense. The ONLY thing driving hydrogen tech is its current advantage over battery electric in range. Once electric solves that issue, the widespread electric infrastructure already in place will make hydrogen a non starter. Other than for a few commercial fleets that have their own local infrastructure, hydrogen is going no where.

I do agree with others posts above about the future being more or less electric. Its the time frame that is open for discussion and is likely still 20+ years before its the dominant seller in the market. You will likely see fleets of self driving taxis become commonplace before electrics take over the mainstream. It will happen on the coasts and population centers first, rual areas and areas that use predominantly larger trucks will lag behind the shift.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Don't dismiss H2 outright. If the economics can be improved it just might be the ideal storage medium for solar energy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Firefly
04-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Except that atm, the bulk of the electricity needed by those vehicles to recharge is generated by burning fossil fuels of one sort or another.... & apart from nuclear power, none of the current alternatives stand any realistic chance of supplying ALL of our electricity needs now or in the forseeable future! :shocked: And that ain't any April Fools joke!

Just sayin' :dontknow:

But the great thing about electric cars is they don't care where the power comes from. Today it's fossil fuels and nuclear.... in the future it will be solar and wind.... with solar being the best choice. Solar could supply all the power we need. It's getting cheaper and more efficient all the time. It's also better for the environment to burnt he fossil fuels in a controlled environment at a power station than having millions of fuel burning cars running around. The emissions can be better controlled at the power station.

It's going to be an electric future.. and I for one look forward to it.

Bob Denman
04-05-2017, 10:58 AM
It's going to be an electric future.. and I for one look forward to it.
:D I hope that your eyesignt remains strong.
As long as solar powered cars are still looking like this:

I don't see much of a practical use for them... nojoke

And I certainly an aware that there's a difference between "electric powered", and "solar powered"...
But why stop in the middle of the technological advances?

crazycanuck
04-05-2017, 12:27 PM
:shocked: Has everybody forgotten that this was just an April Fools post? :dontknow:

thinking of putting a order in.

ThreeWheels
04-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Nobody is thinking outside the box.
The future of automobiles is electric. But not with batteries.

Bury non-contact conductors in the highways. Run the cars like slot-cars, taking power form the highway.
Then, all you need is a smaller batter, like the current range of 40 miles or so, to get you from the highway to your home.
Reverse the process the next day.

Geez, do I have to think of everything ??