View Full Version : not on your life would i do this

cuznjohn
03-28-2017, 06:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sghKc4sYu0

JerryB
03-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi cuznjohn,

Re: not on your life would i do this

I worked for Boneville Power Administration for 30 yrs and those are our transmission lines.

They have an award for Hot Hands, anyone who has touched a hot power of line of at least 230kV. Yes, that is 230,000 volts.

Jerry Baumchen

Peter Aawen
03-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Dunno why not, Cuzn?! Not a bad way to spend a day at the office! :thumbup:

And hey, just lookit the scenery from the office window!! :2thumbs:

I know people who'd kill for that sort of view from their office?!? :shocked:

ARtraveler
03-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Amazing. I got the heebie jeebies just watching those linemen. :bowdown::bowdown:

cuznjohn
03-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Hi cuznjohn,

Re: not on your life would i do this

I worked for Boneville Power Administration for 30 yrs and those are our transmission lines.

They have an award for Hot Hands, anyone who has touched a hot power of line of at least 230kV. Yes, that is 230,000 volts.

Jerry Baumchen

jerry i was a electrician for 30 plus years. and i have worked in some vaults when the power coming in would make the hair on your arms stand up. i am also not afraid of height's, but when you have that much voltage, plus the height, i will pass

TXrider
03-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Even he has respect for those high-flyers!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

JerryB
03-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Hi akspyderman,

Re: Amazing. I got the heebie jeebies just watching those linemen.

Actually, those are not linemen. They are line construction workers. They would be working for some company who has a contract to put the towers up. I worked with many of those companies over the years.

Not to take anything away from those guys; however, linemen are the guys who do the maintenance on the lines.

About 30 yrs ago I had to go to Amarillo, TX. Our line crews wanted a maintenance device that this guy made. It was a little gas-powered cart ( a little smaller than a go cart ). It would hook over the conductor and then a lineman would ride it out onto somewhere on the conductor to either do some inspection or some maintenance. Only about 80 ft in the air sitting on this little cart.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryB
03-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Hi cuznjohn,

Re: i have worked in some vaults when the power coming in would make the hair on your arms stand up.

BPA has a lot of high voltage substations & I have been in many of them. Yup, the hair on your arms does stand straight up. It is an interesting experience; and a little un-nervy the first time or two.

Jerry Baumchen

Chupaca
03-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Not even gonna ask what part it is your gonna do....:roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-28-2017, 11:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sghKc4sYu0
Considering how those guys were moving back and forth between the powerline and the tower those lines couldn't have been hot.

Now..... this is a little different!

https://youtu.be/oBJyyEAw-6g

pitzerwm
03-28-2017, 11:34 PM
Kudos to the helo pilots, thats what makes it safe.

Bob Denman
03-29-2017, 06:49 AM
Jerry Baumchen
Hi Jerry!
Is that an award that is usually given posthumously? :shocked:

PrairieSpyder
03-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Kudos to the helo pilots, thats what makes it safe.

:agree:

besides the danger to the guys working on the lines, that helo pilot was doing some precision work. I wonder what the wind conditions were.:dontknow:

JerryB
03-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: Is that an award that is usually given posthumously?

The only guy I ever worked with who had the award died many years later of a heart attack.

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen