PDA

View Full Version : Tourtank

Bfromla
03-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Ok fyi my long overdue project ( i now have 98% of my parts collected) is a spare AUX 3gal gas tank. :thumbup: Problem is however in the mounting Ive opted to use a rear sports rack it fits my yr bike & can allow alternate options for future use. Ive found 1 pic on google where someone else did what i have planned. 145459 No other information available. :banghead: A previous member sold me his tank but he had a custom built rack to mount 145460 & litteraly drilled hole in gas cap for a gravity feed hose. :dontknow: My plan is a cleaner tap into the tank itself & a proper pump. Back to the problem: the footprint of brackets is right on inner seam of the rack 145461 (inside of rack lid & 1 tank bracket) my plan was/is to get bolt pattern like this:145462 so will be reinforced & all on inside. Suggestions or info on the bike in first pic please:pray: & thanks in advance:firstplace:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Before you get to far into this ............. I think you should make sure what you are doing is going to be Legal in your jurisdiction ( State or Local ). Spending a bunch of money and then finding out you can't register it would really su*k ........ Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
03-28-2017, 09:39 AM
will you be traveling places with no service stations for over 200 miles..?? ( not here in the US) I know I have seen one spyder with an added tank in the frunk. Nicely done but do not remember the capasity. Have seen the aluminum barrel tank on the rack before and looks to work well. Good luck with the project and we would love to see the outcome...:thumbup:

cptjam
03-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Many use a moon tank with a T fitting into the fuel line. Mount on a rear rack. The guy in Chicago with the Frunk fuel tank has not been on in a while. His was superb and very well done, but as I recall, expensive as all get out! He commuted in Chicagoland, and needed extra fuel each day!

JerryB
03-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Hi Bfromla,

Re: plan was/is to get bolt pattern like this:145462 so will be reinforced & all on inside.

That is a photo of how I reinforced my Sport Rack. I just took a couple of pieces of cardboard & kept cutting, trimming until I had the shape that I wanted. The plates are simply 1/8" thick cold rolled steel; available almost everywhere.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) For the cardboard you can use the backing board from just about any tablet.

Bfromla
03-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Hi Bfromla,

Re: plan was/is to get bolt pattern like this:145462 so will be reinforced & all on inside.

That is a photo of how I reinforced my Sport Rack. I just took a couple of pieces of cardboard & kept cutting, trimming until I had the shape that I wanted. The plates are simply 1/8" thick cold rolled steel; available almost everywhere.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) For the cardboard you can use the backing board from just about any tablet.

Thx & yes ive already started with my templates & thx some more for sharing that pic that helped me decide best way to try. Took me some time to catch a rack at the right price for me & is still wrong color but I knew i would be powder coating the finished rack either way. & Mike there will be no registration problems, thx for pointing that out tho. & the expense cap is/ has been under $500.& ez to get back to stock
(Wont try it otherwise)
Fyi one inspiration for this project was my buds happiness after doing his & done oh so right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/56c8c0e28d78935309c59fd8658343dd.jpg im not doing it for IBA or fear of lack of stations completely but Just for a bigger reserve& not having to carry a spare can eating up cargo space.
(I just like to tinker & prove I can)

JerryB
03-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Hi Bfromla,

Re: (I just like to tinker & prove I can)

Nothing ever wrong with that.

:yes:

Jerry Baumchen

Bfromla
03-28-2017, 11:02 PM
Fyi it will NOT be done in time for spyderfest :( but i will finish shortly after.

Highwayman2013
04-07-2019, 09:06 PM
I rode across the country on US 2 and usually didn't go more than 100 miles before I saw a station. You want to carry a liter go ahead. I carried a REDA can quite a while and only used it to help someone else. If you aren't sure of an area look for gas at 100 miles or half a tank. You'll be fine.

ARtraveler
04-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Also think not an issue in lower 48. Most gas is less than 100 miles apart. An extra can of gas in frunk or trunk could become a safety issue. IMO :bowdown: