PDA

View Full Version : Respect ??

Zip
03-27-2017, 01:11 PM
So when you are out for a ryde do you get respect from 2 wheel riders? I have noticed that people on Harley's, Gold Wings, traditional Trikes, and similar will wave when passing or come over and talk when parked. But on the other hand most people with sport bikes or "Jap Bikes" will ignore you.

DaveM
03-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Most of the sport bikes will ignore you anyway if your not riding a crotch rocket. Don't let it bother you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
03-27-2017, 01:15 PM
The subject comes up once in awhile. I will start by saying that I do not worry if someone does not do the wave or acknowledge us. That is their prerogative.

As to types, it does seem that sport bikes and beemers seem to be the biggest "offenders."

Life is short, enjoy the ride and don't worry about the few. I like to make a growl in my helmet when it happens. We get a laugh at it and continue down the road. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-27-2017, 01:17 PM
:D Perhaps you should ask me if I care about what they think...

P.S. I don't! :thumbup:

2dogs
03-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Those crotch rocket guys/gals are for the most part, a different breed. :dontknow:

Zip
03-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Not that I am worried or even care. Just an observation.

NSPYTE
03-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Wow...totally opposite for me...more waves from the sport bikes...less from the solo Harley riders and the "adventure" bike crowd.

Bob Denman
03-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player,
seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance
themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Spyder Ryders Don't Wave Back
10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turnsignal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
4. They were mentally rehearsing the "explanation", that they'll need to give their Spouse for the
last Farkling episode.
3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death"
make an appearance.
1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising
the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Top Ten Reasons Why Conventional Trike Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Their arms were too tired to raise... no power steering!
9. Your "Unusual" configuration has them confused. They thought you were going the other way!
8. They just had hit a pothole, and felt their first bad "Head-Shake". They're not letting go of anything!
7. They are lost in thought: How much is their Trike worth on trade, for a new Spyder?
6. They're still laughing at thgemselves for trying to put their feet down at the last stoplight.
5. The last time they waved at a "foreign" bike; their riding buddies made them buy the beer!
4. Didn't know WHAT you were, as you went by.
3. They only wave at conventionals...
2. They thought that their passenger waved... (She was asleep!)
1. The glare from all of the chrome had them momentarily blinded.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-27-2017, 02:13 PM
I stopped waving years ago after I got my first spyder. I now wait to see if they wave .... then I'll wave back. I got tired of not getting a return wave .......... To this day I don't think I've EVER received a wave from anyone riding a BMW :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ....... But we all about that type :gaah:...... Mike :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
03-27-2017, 02:45 PM
AKSpyderman is right. This issue gets discussed a couple times a year. My reaction is "who cares?"

murphybrown
03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
From other bikers, little kids, truckers, train engineers (try to get them to blow their horn...about 60% success on that one). AND I could care less if they return the wave. I do it for ME, ME, Me......yep all about ME...:roflblack::yikes::thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-27-2017, 02:55 PM
:D So do I! :2thumbs:

And whether they return the wave or not:

ArachnidRyder
03-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Wow...totally opposite for me...more waves from the sport bikes...less from the solo Harley riders and the "adventure" bike crowd.

My experience as well. I sort of wrote it off to Spyders having lots of plastic bodywork and not a lot of chrome.

Safety Man Tom
03-27-2017, 03:28 PM
I stopped waving years ago after I got my first spyder. I now wait to see if they wave .... then I'll wave back. I got tired of not getting a return wave .......... To this day I don't think I've EVER received a wave from anyone riding a BMW :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ....... But we all about that type :gaah:...... Mike :thumbup:

Guess you never passed by me. I ride a K1600GTL and have made it a point to wave at these cool Spyders. Now I ride one! Go figure. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steamer
03-27-2017, 03:45 PM
I use to ride with a BMW guy and on our long tours he would have a really enthusiastic wave. It was the kind of wave that was so engaging it begged a response. Loved riding behind him to view the oncoming responses. Those that did not wave back, looked annoyed.
This was in the early nineties when the wave was a symbols of "common ground" and respect.
I always wave and so does my wife and I would have to guess that we get 90% response.
Don't really notice what kind of bike does not wave back.

JacCh
03-27-2017, 03:53 PM
I ride a Gold Wing trike and have the same experience also Harley riders mostly don't wave at Wingers either.

wolphspyder
03-27-2017, 04:00 PM
I just wave to everyone....doesn't matter if they wave back or not........:2thumbs:

Dave7691
03-27-2017, 04:16 PM
I just go out to ride, I will always wave if I get respect back great if not who cares I'm just enjoying the wind therapy. Whether in on my Harley or my F3s im just out for the ride and dont really care if they wave . There are a lot of new riders out there that have a hard enough time trying to hold on for dear life nevermind wave. .:joke:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
03-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player,
seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance
themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Spyder Ryders Don't Wave Back
10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turnsignal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
4. They were mentally rehearsing the "explanation", that they'll need to give their Spouse for the
last Farkling episode.
3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death"
make an appearance.
1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising
the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Top Ten Reasons Why Conventional Trike Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Their arms were too tired to raise... no power steering!
9. Your "Unusual" configuration has them confused. They thought you were going the other way!
8. They just had hit a pothole, and felt their first bad "Head-Shake". They're not letting go of anything!
7. They are lost in thought: How much is their Trike worth on trade, for a new Spyder?
6. They're still laughing at thgemselves for trying to put their feet down at the last stoplight.
5. The last time they waved at a "foreign" bike; their riding buddies made them buy the beer!
4. Didn't know WHAT you were, as you went by.
3. They only wave at conventionals...
2. They thought that their passenger waved... (She was asleep!)
1. The glare from all of the chrome had them momentarily blinded.

so where does my indian fall in?

blacklightning
03-27-2017, 04:29 PM
So when you are out for a ryde do you get respect from 2 wheel riders? I have noticed that people on Harley's, Gold Wings, traditional Trikes, and similar will wave when passing or come over and talk when parked. But on the other hand most people with sport bikes or "Jap Bikes" will ignore you.
I do get fewer waves on the spyder than I did on the M109 (it got waves from everybody). But, I have noticed that I get more waves on the RSS than on the RT. I have found that I get waves from fewer harley riders than I do any other group. As for the sport bike group, I always get waves from them if I am on the RSS, but not always when on the RT. Either way, it doesn't matter to me, I wave anyway.

Bob Denman
03-27-2017, 04:29 PM
"Indian"??

Isn't it "Native American"? :dontknow:

R FUN
03-27-2017, 04:54 PM
I"m with Murphybrown, Maybe its just an old habit from my Harley days but I gotta say, most bikes still wave back but those that don"t is there loss.
Roger

crazycanuck
03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
:chat::bdh::coffee:

Bob Denman
03-27-2017, 06:01 PM
:chat::bdh::coffee:

Yet for as long as you've been around; you haven't figured out that new folks are always joining, and it might be a brand new topic for them. :dontknow:

crazycanuck
03-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Yet for as long as you've been around; you haven't figured out that new folks are always joining, and it might be a brand new topic for them. :dontknow:

is it really? say it, say it, saaaaaaaay it!
its not the quantity, its the quality.

SPYD3R
03-27-2017, 06:16 PM
WOW, IF IT WEREN'T FOR HAVING 'NOTHING' TO TALK ABOUT....
WE'D HAVE 'NOTHING' TO TALK ABOUT.... :shemademe_smilie: :yes:
just say'n....
Dan P
SPYD3R

Bfromla
03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Nothing said about enjoying showing off a RH wave (Thx to cruise control). ?? Also for my area if i see another spyder (1:im most likely on errand requiring caged wheels, 2:still got shock factor WOW another spyder! & always going another direction :( ) when waving tho give them the three downhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/31168e9c156420521fb5bb1cfa099ec2.jpg

SPYD3R
03-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Nothing said about enjoying showing off a RH wave (Thx to cruise control). ?? Also for my area if i see another spyder (1:im most likely on errand requiring caged wheels, 2:still got shock factor WOW another spyder! & always going another direction :( ) when waving tho give them the three downhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/31168e9c156420521fb5bb1cfa099ec2.jpg

YEARS AGO, i posted this:

Chupaca
03-27-2017, 06:42 PM
I wave at them all...don't care if they don't...i don't know them anyway....:roflblack::roflblack:

marty1096
03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
When I am on freeway crotches always come up next to me turn their head and smile then leave me like I am standing still at 80.

marty1096
03-27-2017, 06:50 PM
So so funny laughed out loud...Thanks for sharing

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Guess you never passed by me. I ride a K1600GTL and have made it a point to wave at these cool Spyders. Now I ride one! Go figure. :).

Of course I wasn't referring to you :firstplace:...... I meant the other 10,000 or so OTHER BMW driver's I had passed :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ........ If there was a Poll done on which opr.of which make was Least likely to wave to you .... BMW owner's would lead it by a wide margin ........... Mike :thumbup:

Safety Man Tom
03-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Of course I wasn't referring to you :firstplace:...... I meant the other 10,000 or so OTHER BMW driver's I had passed :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ........ If there was a Poll done on which opr.of which make was Least likely to wave to you .... BMW owner's would lead it by a wide margin ........... Mike :thumbup:

I won't argue with that. So, if you want to be waved at a bunch, just ride a BMW! When I sold my Goldwing and purchased the BMW suddenly almost everybody waved at me: other BMW's, all sport bikes, almost all Goldwings, probably a third of the HD riders and of course all of those people riding those crazy looking vehicles called Spyders! Like almost everybody here, I wave at everybody. If they wave back great. If they don't wave back I don't give it a second thought.

Mr. Pickels
03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
I won't argue with that. So, if you want to be waved at a bunch, just ride a BMW! When I sold my Goldwing and purchased the BMW suddenly almost everybody waved at me: other BMW's, all sport bikes, almost all Goldwings, probably a third of the HD riders and of course all of those people riding those crazy looking vehicles called Spyders! Like almost everybody here, I wave at everybody. If they wave back great. If they don't wave back I don't give it a second thought.

Ditto....[emoji108]

PapaHotel
03-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Beemer Drivers believe ATGATT means "All the grips all the time." They are not allowed to take a hand off the grip once underway...

Peter Aawen
03-27-2017, 08:02 PM
.... AND I could care less if they return the wave. I do it for ME, ME, Me......yep all about ME...:roflblack::yikes::thumbup:

Yep, ^^^ That's it!! :thumbup: :firstplace::yes:

jaherbst
03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Aw yes, "To Wave or Not To Wave" that is the question. I only wave to the girls! Mostly after April 7th I will

be celebrating my 66th year of riding and at my age I'm kinda busy to wave to everyone. I do wave but

not in busy traffic, corners or when I am doing "wheelies". :D

Jack

G3F3
03-27-2017, 08:37 PM
I only wave at kids on scooters.....cause.....you know.....respect :doorag:

Crisis
03-27-2017, 08:56 PM

:agree:

wolffspyder
03-27-2017, 11:11 PM

When they are riding a crotch rocket they have a lot of pressure on their hands. They don't have the comfy ride we do. Don't hold it against them [emoji4]

Sonnymerrill
03-27-2017, 11:24 PM
I have found that all bikers wave and all bikers don't. I don't really care. My wife and I wave and if we get waved back God Bless and ride safe and if not God bless and ride safe:spyder:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
03-28-2017, 12:50 AM

Same here. I always get waves from the crotch rockets. I have actually been ignored by some Spyder riders. Go figure.

Bob Denman
03-28-2017, 07:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzX3X9iD7U

Buckeye Bleau
03-28-2017, 07:24 AM
I have found that all bikers wave and all bikers don't. I don't really care. My wife and I wave and if we get waved back God Bless and ride safe and if not God bless and ride safe:spyder:

Joe

Fatcycledaddy
03-28-2017, 08:06 AM
:agree: I am having to much fun in my happy place when I ride to care if they wave back or not. We wave to everyone and take it as a bonus if they wave back.

Pirate looks at --
03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
I can't say that the type of ryde makes a difference. I wave to all, don't care if they wave back......but most of them do, and it is evenly spread accrossed all types of rydes. I guess we are just more friendly out here is California!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bfromla
03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Another pic shared here b4https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/71256956f58c7d8b857faef1b7d96ff9.jpg & some people just DONT get it :)

Bob Denman
03-28-2017, 02:14 PM
:clap::agree::2thumbs:

crazycanuck
03-28-2017, 06:26 PM
:clap::agree::2thumbs:

so where are we with this:popcorn:

finless
03-28-2017, 06:37 PM
Out here in Cali, most everyone waves no mater what they ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLc2zy0G5o

Bob

Wildrice
03-28-2017, 06:56 PM

It's the opposite for me--Harley riders--when in a group won't wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3b_MRimbk

PistonBlown
03-28-2017, 10:15 PM
It's the opposite for me--Harley riders--when in a group won't wave.

The ones who gave me the finger on SH1 the other day are probably regretting it - I was raising my hand to do the 'cops ahead' wave but decided not to bother.

Bswank
03-28-2017, 10:42 PM
This is a courtesy thing not mandatory. I've had groups as large as 20 on Harley's and all of them wave. Also had crotch rocket riders warn when police are ahead. Sometimes I haven't waved because of a distraction. Bikers in general are good people.:f_spider:

Pirate looks at --
03-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Out here in Cali, most everyone waves no mater what they ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLc2zy0G5o

Bob

:agree:it will be interesting to compare states as we ryde to Valcourt!

Bob Denman
03-29-2017, 07:33 AM
As you cross the Continent: keep track of the total number of bikes you pass, and the total number of waves that you get... :thumbup:
(It's a good job for your Co-Pilot!)

Pirate looks at --
03-29-2017, 09:08 AM
As you cross the Continent: keep track of the total number of bikes you pass, and the total number of waves that you get... :thumbup:
But alas, my Co-pilot will be piloting the RTL while I ryde alongside her on the F3L. I just don't have that many fingers and toes!:roflblack: But I certainly will try to get a feel for percentages.

Bob Denman
03-29-2017, 09:16 AM
:D That gives you room for a passenger... :thumbup:
I'd suggest a Co-Ed Statistics major... and keep out of sight of the RTL! :shocked:

MelloYelloSpyder
03-29-2017, 10:07 AM
I just bought a Harley Road King a couple of months ago and I will say that even some Harley riders don't wave to other Harley riders. I was on my way home and I generally wave or nod to all riders unless I am distracted by traffic or road conditions. So I wave to this other rider on a 30 mph city road, no other traffic around and he goes on by....NOTHING....So I look in the rear view and see he is a member of one of the douche bag clubs that think they are bad asses in this area...THE FAMILY...Whatever no big deal....

AY4B
03-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Out where I live everybody waves at everybody. If they dont that means they must be a city slicker.:yes:

Mr. White
03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
I always wave and 97.8% return the wave. I am saying, I am having a good time riding my scoot, how about you? No wave returned tells me they don't enjoy our sport, sorry 'bout that.

:spyder2:

Pirate looks at --
03-29-2017, 11:24 AM
:D That gives you room for a passenger... :thumbup:
I'd suggest a Co-Ed Statistics major... and keep out of sight of the RTL! :shocked:
Not a bad Idea, but my missus processes payroll for a living and she is very good with numbers, and in her eye, 1+1+ 1 doesn't compute?:yikes:

Bob Denman
03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
:shocked: Her Math is better than my morals... :shocked:

:joke:

pdepalma
03-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Be careful grouping "all" of a certain riding group together. Its about the type of person riding...not the brand of bike. One of the friendliest people I know rides a BMW and one of the poorest excuses for a Human Being that I know rides a Spyder...and there are all different types in between.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

WilderThomas
03-29-2017, 12:23 PM
The subject comes up once in awhile. I will start by saying that I do not worry if someone does not do the wave or acknowledge us. That is their prerogative.

As to types, it does seem that sport bikes and beemers seem to be the biggest "offenders."

Life is short, enjoy the ride and don't worry about the few. I like to make a growl in my helmet when it happens. We get a laugh at it and continue down the road. :thumbup:

Life is short. Therefore, I don't have the inclination or time to worry about the "little people" who refuse to acknowledge. I'll wave, and if they wave, I'm grateful. If they don't, so be it. There are just some people who don't understand or comprehend brotherly courtesy.

rcturner
03-29-2017, 04:32 PM
I live in southern Minnesota on I-90. By the time the bikers going to or coming from Sturgis get here in August they just don't have much wave left in them. Most try for a few hundred miles but, after a while they just can't keep it up. When we talk to them or when we are out there most are friendly and congenial. They just can't keep the waiving up any longer.

spacetiger
03-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Since I have a few bikes of all types and I generally wave at other riders, I will say it is harder to do on sport[y] bikes because your riding position requires the arms to carry some of the load. That means to wave, you have to shift weight off one arm while still maintaining control of the bike. There are times that is impossible to do, so in those condition I don't wave - but I do nod my head. Watch for the head nod and might find there are more riders "waving" than you think.

Safety Man Tom
03-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Have my co-pilot count bikes? Are you completely nuts?

Bob Denman
03-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Have my co-pilot count bikes? Are you completely nuts?
:D Believe me: you're not the first one to say that... :clap:

dndfindley
03-31-2017, 12:01 AM

That is my experience entirely. People on sportbikes always do the wave. People on cruisers, particularly Harley's, are about 50/50 when it comes to the wave. BTW I ride a sportbike that is more a sport touring (Yamaha FJ-09). Along those lines when police are running a speed trap I always get the 'head tap' from sportbikers and never ever get it from cruisers. I always give the head tap to anyone approaching and that includes all makes of motorcycles and I will even flash my lights to cars.

GD_TVM
03-31-2017, 11:53 AM
I agree with the last few posts about cruiser riders not waving. I also have a sport bike (ZX7R NINJA) and am a Spyder Tech so always wave at folks out on their Spyders. Even when I'm out on test drives with RT's or F3's I rarely get a wave from cruisers or Harleys. With Sport bikes I do a great BIG wave and give em no choice but to wave back LOL.

PrairieSpyder
03-31-2017, 12:43 PM
The ones who gave me the finger on SH1 the other day are probably regretting it - I was raising my hand to do the 'cops ahead' wave but decided not to bother.

This is a courtesy thing not mandatory. I've had groups as large as 20 on Harley's and all of them wave. Also had crotch rocket riders warn when police are ahead. Sometimes I haven't waved because of a distraction. Bikers in general are good people.:f_spider:

So what is the wave to warn of LEOs?

Out where I live everybody waves at everybody. If they dont that means they must be a city slicker.:yes:

It's like that in the rural areas around here. In my car or on my Spyder, going down a county road, everyone waves - usually with 1 or 2 fingers.

Bob Denman
03-31-2017, 12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftRE-SLGM-E

crazycanuck
03-31-2017, 01:33 PM
some good info here

Pirate looks at --
03-31-2017, 04:51 PM
So what is the wave to warn of LEOs?

It's like that in the rural areas around here. In my car or on my Spyder, going down a county road, everyone waves - usually with 1 or 2 fingers.

Tapping the top of your head with the palm of your hand.!

PistonBlown
04-01-2017, 12:43 AM

Or holding your hand above your helmet palm forward and opening and closing it a couple of times i.e. like a flashing light.

...or sometimes just frantic waving

ARtraveler
04-01-2017, 12:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftRE-SLGM-E

We actually get the train honks a lot here. The tourists love the sight seeing trains and they also are fascinated by seeing the :spyder2:'s. We give them the horn pull sign just as shown. :yes:

amelectricdavid
04-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Means the is a cop ahead

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Mr. Pickels
04-01-2017, 09:09 PM
I got several waves from sport bikes, cruisers and kids in cars lol 2 ignores from non helmet wearing chopper dudes oh well [emoji12]

MRH
04-02-2017, 01:33 AM
In Los Angeles I've found that if I'm riding up in the mountains where it may require some skill and where you'll usually find people who are about the ride, they usually wave back.

On Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, where the bikes are more about how cool they look than about how well they ride, they often seem to think they are above waiving back. These are the people who put fewer miles on their bike in a year than I put on my Spyder in a month. I doubt they would even go out if there weren't people out to see them riding.

spydercruza
04-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Most bikers in my area wave if not I don't give a rat's ass. No matter where I stop I get Lookers and people that come up and ask questions about the Spyder and a lot want to take pictures, I get this from young and old alike. I never got that attention from my Harley Street Glide and I had one beautiful Harley....But hey there every where, same copy cat look, leather chaps, vest, chain off the hip pocket, bandana, loud pipes, polished chrome and that same old cocky look. Nothing original, I do miss my Harley but love my Spyder.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

spydercruza
04-02-2017, 07:32 PM
On a closing note the big offenders are the Mopeds, they never wave I think that's funny cause I wave at everyone of them.

LateLifeCrisis
04-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Hubby and I were out today AFTER SEVERAL DAYS OF RAIN :mad: so needless to say there were A LOT of bikes out on the road and NOT ONE rider failed to wave at our "pesky" Spyders. Maybe the biking culture is coming around to the realization that is doesn't matter if you ride two or three - at least we're all out of our "cages!" :dg1:

Pirate looks at --
04-03-2017, 09:51 AM
On a closing note the big offenders are the Mopeds, they never wave I think that's funny cause I wave at everyone of them.

You know yesterday my wife and I ran into two scooters and they both waved!:yes: