PDA

View Full Version : limp mode

smokster
04-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Going down a large hill to the coast last night. At the bottom of the hill the bike decided scrolling all sorts of *^$(., then went into limp mode on coast hwy.
First, just a bit enbarrassing. First they are marveling at what a cool bike, then I am on the side of the road.
It turned out to be loose relays. What is up with the relay connections on this bike?
Has anybody ever come up with something that holds these relays in better. I did not need to replace (I carry several), just reconnect.
Rest of the sunset cruise went well.
Today, blues fesival in Carlbad.

ataDude
04-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I haven't done it... yet... but Lamonster came up with the idea of putting some soft foam in the top of the front fuse box to keep the relays in place.

Seems like that would work fine.

Going down a large hill to the coast last night. At the bottom of the hill the bike decided scrolling all sorts of *^$(., then went into limp mode on coast hwy.
First, just a bit enbarrassing. First they are marveling at what a cool bike, then I am on the side of the road.
It turned out to be loose relays. What is up with the relay connections on this bike?
Has anybody ever come up with something that holds these relays in better. I did not need to replace (I carry several), just reconnect.
Rest of the sunset cruise went well.
Today, blues fesival in Carlbad.

Capt John
04-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Seems like I read something on here about a dab of silicone. I think that came from Scotty. I might be mistaken tho.

AMTJIM
04-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I think mine came with foam on top, it's so tight I can barely get the teeth to latch...I also doubt these teeth will hold for very long.

fastfraser
04-18-2009, 01:13 PM
:agree:A small bit of foam glued to inside top of fuse box works great .,just dont make it to thick or cover will no latch.:2thumbs:. The 2009 models alread has this done.

Lamonster
04-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I used a piece of 3M pad that I had. I just cut it to size and stuck it in there. So far so good. :doorag:

NancysToy
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Yep, the dab of RTV silicone idea came from me. Just a dab at the base, touching both the relay and the mounting block will do it, or touching the connector for a single relay. Old motorcycle enduro trick, and it works quite well, but requires a razor blade to slit the silicone to remove the relay.
-Scotty