PDA

View Full Version : Roadside or not to Roadside.....that is the question.

Road-Kill
03-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Hello all. Befuddled by the moaning about a "maybe-might-possible-could happen" tow made me think about Roadside Insurance. I looked at the BRP 2 year policy and it only insures up to $200 USD and even indicates there are areas not covered:shocked:. I looked at AMA and they are one step up but will only tow 35 miles at best.....then you are on your own:joke:. I also looked at AAA and they want an extra (currently I have this for my car) $50.00 for their "recreational" toy policy. Geico is currently charging me $7. yearly :thumbup: for roadside but with very vague terms.

Thoughts anyone as to who has what and if the policy was ever used. By the end of this year I plan on putting 15,000 miles on my beast and would like to know the Billy-Bob tow crew (:doorag:) will not be cleaning me out should I need help.

Firefly
03-25-2017, 04:49 PM
The standard Spyder warranty covers 2 years. The BEST covers you for however many years extra you may have purchased.
I also have Dairyland insurance on my Spyder which comes with roadside coverage.
Over 100,000 miles and never had to use any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murphybrown
03-25-2017, 04:49 PM
As a distance Ryder would not be without. I started with AAA ( no complaints). Used once. Then started looking for the better and that is when I found Good Sam. I had to use last year on way to Spyderfest in the middle of nowhere Kansas... dang jumping rock attacked my right front wheel, as I was gawking at 65 mph, split the rim..Good Sam served me verrrrry well. BRP and AMA ( I have both cause they just come with membership) maybe better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick. But that maybe debatable...
it is an insurance... always would be nice if you never needed. The little Saturday incident would have cost me out of pocket about $2000 to get to a Spyder dealer for new wheel...my cost 0000000. Yep would not be without. :yes:

soaring hawk
03-25-2017, 05:35 PM
:thumbup: When we are hauling the spyder in the toyhauler covers the truck and camper.

Gary

Chupaca
03-25-2017, 06:31 PM
I had allstate and then AAA and they both have been great. What insurance do you have on the spyder and do they offer roadside assistance...? :dontknow:

Road-Kill
03-26-2017, 08:56 AM
I had allstate and then AAA and they both have been great. What insurance do you have on the spyder and do they offer roadside assistance...? :dontknow:

Gieco for $7.00 (I'm not joking) covers my roadside on top of the 2 year BRP roadside. I think I'll leave this until the BRP plan disolves in almost two years cause I only recently purchased my beast. After BRP I'm leaning towards AAA because its an add-on to my current AAA and they are nationwide with excellent customer service.

murphybrown
03-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Gieco for $7.00 (I'm not joking) covers my roadside on top of the 2 year BRP roadside. I think I'll leave this until the BRP plan disolves in almost two years cause I only recently purchased my beast. After BRP I'm leaning towards AAA because its an add-on to my current AAA and they are nationwide with excellent customer service.

Your BRP roadside will only cover about 35-50 miles of hauling your Spyder. Same with Geico (I have Geico on my truck)...and Same with Dairyland that I have on Spyder. Might just be how I travel...but the "little dab will do you" is great for me when I don't need it. As I posted earlier...that answers why I willing buy Good Sam every year.
Of course do what works for you. But I'm just hoping that you will look into how much they are reallllly going to cover if you would need. So many folks have felt they had roadside only to discover that it is very very limited. :bowdown:

threefingers2
03-26-2017, 10:40 AM
We have Progressive motorcycle insurance with roadside and trip interruption for $ 15.00.Roadside assistanceIf you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption

Jeriatric
03-26-2017, 10:50 AM
We have Progressive motorcycle insurance with roadside and trip interruption for $ 15.00.Roadside assistance

If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption

The nearest shop may only prove to be a storage facility. If, they are not a Can Am authorized Spyder dealership.

If you're in the middle of BFE, that'll likely be the case.

Just deciphering the fine print.

threefingers2
03-26-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking that when it says nearest repair shop that wouldn't be a storage facility. Unless storage units have repair services i'm not aware of.
The nearest shop may only prove to be a storage facility. If, they are not a Can Am authorized Spyder dealership.

If you're in the middle of BFE, that'll likely be the case.

Just deciphering the fine print.

mpsicon
03-26-2017, 10:57 AM
AAA RV plus, I would think they have very good coverage area.

R FUN
03-26-2017, 11:18 AM
I also have Good Sam, never used it but have it. It covers all my vehicles including motorcycle. Unlimited millage to closest repair facility. Very reasonable rates. Had CAA which is the sister company of AAA and needed it once in Florida. AAA refused to take it in the US.
Roger

Jeriatric
03-26-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking that when it says nearest repair shop that wouldn't be a storage facility. Unless storage units have repair services i'm not aware of.

No sir, what i meant is that the nearest repair facility if not a Spyder authorized dealer would likely end up being a place of safe keeping for the spyder until it could be relocated to a spyder authorized repair facility.

Nearest repair facility and Can Am authorized dealer are not synonymous.

HayRog
03-26-2017, 11:50 AM
I've had to use AMA's MOTOW on two occasions.
I sure they cover all the vehicles you own. 2,3 or 4 wheels.

Sarge707
03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
I have AMA for 35 miles anywhere! Dairyland appears to be about 35-40 also and I still have BRP on the F3.
I rarely (Never Yet) have gone More than 70 miles from home One way with my Spyders So I'm pretty well covered.
Never yet had a Breakdown and Do Not worry about one.
AMA also does your vehicle and MY jet ski trailer for 35 miles if I ever burn up a wheel hub and I jetski within 35 miles from home!!!:yes:

threefingers2
03-26-2017, 12:04 PM
​Understandable Thanks.
No sir, what i meant is that the nearest repair facility if not a Spyder authorized dealer would likely end up being a place of safe keeping for the spyder until it could be relocated to a spyder authorized repair facility.

Nearest repair facility and Can Am authorized dealer are not synonymous.

Bfromla
03-26-2017, 12:29 PM
I learned also the BRP roadside $200 coverage is per incident say. Flat tire (broke rim, whatever) they will only cover that item for towing once up to $200. :gaah::lecturef_smilie: (I may be wrong but that is how it was explained to me when I had my first flat & nearest dealer with tire in stock was 100 miles out that 1item is done can not use again) Sometimes you may not know why your bike needs a tow till it reaches a dealer. (I had to do the dealer search myself overnight & check tire stock.):coffee:

Road-Kill
03-26-2017, 02:24 PM
AAA RV plus, I would think they have very good coverage area.

I have AMA for 35 miles anywhere! Dairyland appears to be about 35-40 also and I still have BRP on the F3.
I rarely (Never Yet) have gone More than 70 miles from home One way with my Spyders So I'm pretty well covered.
Never yet had a Breakdown and Do Not worry about one.
AMA also does your vehicle and MY jet ski trailer for 35 miles if I ever burn up a wheel hub and I jetski within 35 miles from home!!!:yes:

I learned also the BRP roadside $200 coverage is per incident say. Flat tire (broke rim, whatever) they will only cover that item for towing once up to $200. :gaah::lecturef_smilie: (I may be wrong but that is how it was explained to me when I had my first flat & nearest dealer with tire in stock was 100 miles out that 1item is done can not use again) Sometimes you may not know why your bike needs a tow till it reaches a dealer. (I had to do the dealer search myself overnight & check tire stock.):coffee:

True all. Dairyland and AMA limit the miles needed to tow at roughly 35-50 miles. AAA offers up to 200 miles for extra (always extra!). I currently have AAA for my car at 100 miles and had it for more than 20 years without a single use. AAA RV seems VERY attractive because of their policies. BRP "seems" too restrictive at both the miles and the $200 which is VERY cheap as towing gets VERY expensive when your pants are down in zombie country. My thoughts.

HayRog
03-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Do any of the above --^^^^^^^ in particular AAA, do a short term coverage -- say for a couple of months ?
Have to do some research :dontknow:

TomG
03-26-2017, 02:51 PM
I seem to recall that they cover tow up to 200 miles. i can not confirm right now.

WilderThomas
03-26-2017, 03:17 PM
The standard Spyder warranty covers 2 years. The BEST covers you for however many years extra you may have purchased.
I also have Dairyland insurance on my Spyder which comes with roadside coverage.
Over 100,000 miles and never had to use any of it.

But it probably goes without saying that as soon as you drop the roadside coverage, you're going to end up needing it the next time you ride. And then, what? Not too many handy good samaritans around in time of need with a trailer large enough to transport a Spyder.

Firefly
03-26-2017, 04:14 PM
But it probably goes without saying that as soon as you drop the roadside coverage, you're going to end up needing it the next time you ride. And then, what? Not too many handy good samaritans around in time of need with a trailer large enough to transport a Spyder.

With Dairyland there is no option to 'drop' the roadside coverage.. if you insure through them you get it automatically.

WilderThomas
03-26-2017, 04:20 PM
With Dairyland there is no option to 'drop' the roadside coverage.. if you insure through them you get it automatically.

I have Geico currently, but they will only transport up to 20 miles, before you're charged so much for each additional mile. And the insurance company for the cars which gives excellent service for veterans, does not insurance for motorcycles. I'd have an extended warranty as well, if there were reliable, inexpesive, full service warranties to be had.

JKMSPYDER
03-26-2017, 04:28 PM
I have had AAA insurance for over 20 years and added the premium coverage when I bought my first Spyder in 2013. They will tow my Spyder up to 200 miles for free. I have had to use it once from my house to my dealer 90 miles away. Well worth the extra coverage IMO.

WilderThomas
03-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Hello all. Befuddled by the moaning about a "maybe-might-possible-could happen" tow made me think about Roadside Insurance. I looked at the BRP 2 year policy and it only insures up to $200 USD and even indicates there are areas not covered:shocked:. I looked at AMA and they are one step up but will only tow 35 miles at best.....then you are on your own:joke:. I also looked at AAA and they want an extra (currently I have this for my car) $50.00 for their "recreational" toy policy. Geico is currently charging me $7. yearly :thumbup: for roadside but with very vague terms.

Thoughts anyone as to who has what and if the policy was ever used. By the end of this year I plan on putting 15,000 miles on my beast and would like to know the Billy-Bob tow crew (:doorag:) will not be cleaning me out should I need help.

I see where the Good Sam Club has a new membership deal for $79 per year, and they do cover motorcycles. And will tow an unlimited number of miles. GS was initially created for RV owners, but has expanded to motorcycles. The $79 offer, expires in something like 8 hours plus. But I think I'll be joining this next payday.

murphybrown
03-26-2017, 07:45 PM
I seem to recall that they cover tow up to 200 miles. i can not confirm right now.

200 mile max. 2 allowed per year. Good Sam has no max miles and take you to Spyder dealer. And no max on how many per year...:yes:

Bfromla
03-26-2017, 10:34 PM
True all. Dairyland and AMA limit the miles needed to tow at roughly 35-50 miles. AAA offers up to 200 miles for extra (always extra!). I currently have AAA for my car at 100 miles and had it for more than 20 years without a single use. AAA RV seems VERY attractive because of their policies. BRP "seems" too restrictive at both the miles and the $200 which is VERY cheap as towing gets VERY expensive when your pants are down in zombie country. My thoughts.

:) just be glad the zombies dont play Banjo's !!!
(Deliverance joke)

Crisis
03-26-2017, 11:05 PM
AAA Premier will tow up to 200 miles for one incident and pay for car rental fee for one day. It will
tow up to 100 miles after 1st incident. With this kind of coverage I can almost pick a reputable dealer to have the repair done......, leave the trike and drive home. But I have a GS and have never needed to use AAA:roflblack:

Firefly
03-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Another good 'insurance policy' to have is posting out here on Spyderlovers or looking on the 'Spyders to the rescue' link on the home page of this site. There are hundreds of us across the nation that will come help. I can personally attest to this as a few years back while on a trip one of my HD buds had a problem. I posted out here and a member out here loaded up his tools, jacks, etc and met up with us and went to work on the problems.

Road-Kill
03-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I just off the phone with AAA. I cut the chase after speaking with the girl (lady) and purchased AAA Premiere RV costing me $170.00 a year. This covers both my car + bike. This is what I get (that matters).....4 roadside service calls in one year with up to 100 miles of FREE towing of which one can be up to 200 miles. After the 100 or 200 miles are exceeded I get a discounted rate for the rest of that tow. I have had AAA for more than 20 years without use and they are literally everywhere so it was a no-brainer to continue with them.

What I still get that does not matter are discounts, discounts and more discounts, free hugs and blah blah blah travel interrupt insurance. Never used any of that but its nice to know I get those things should my pants get pulled down in Zombie country.

Road-Kill
03-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Another good 'insurance policy' to have is posting out here on Spyderlovers or looking on the 'Spyders to the rescue' link on the home page of this site. There are hundreds of us across the nation that will come help. I can personally attest to this as a few years back while on a trip one of my HD buds had a problem. I posted out here and a member out here loaded up his tools, jacks, etc and met up with us and went to work on the problems.

From my experience when a bike either goes down or becomes mechanically diabled people swarm like locust to help out. :yes:
Its just nice to know I can now call someone positioned to help with the necessary equipment.

murphybrown
03-27-2017, 11:35 AM
I see where the Good Sam Club has a new membership deal for $79 per year, and they do cover motorcycles. And will tow an unlimited number of miles. GS was initially created for RV owners, but has expanded to motorcycles. The $79 offer, expires in something like 8 hours plus. But I think I'll be joining this next payday.

That $79 will not get your Spyder covered. Ask ?'s...actually as I recall that is for the Good Sam membership (which you do NOT need) only...then the Roadside is on top of that and like AAA you have to specifically ask for the RV/motorcycle coverage. I buy only the roadside...for me the $79 extra has no benefits I want.

Once when I had AAA I got a dead battery on Spyder in middle of Toad Suck Daze Arkansas...thought heck call AAA...did found out the coverage I was paying for did not cover motorcycles....(WalMart was a block away...purchased jumper cables...). At that point had the AAA rep add motorcycle (I think it was like an extra $5)...:yikes:

WilderThomas
03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
That $79 will not get your Spyder covered. Ask ?'s...actually as I recall that is for the Good Sam membership (which you do NOT need) only...then the Roadside is on top of that and like AAA you have to specifically ask for the RV/motorcycle coverage. I buy only the roadside...for me the $79 extra has no benefits I want.

Once when I had AAA I got a dead battery on Spyder in middle of Toad Suck Daze Arkansas...thought heck call AAA...did found out the coverage I was paying for did not cover motorcycles....(WalMart was a block away...purchased jumper cables...). At that point had the AAA rep add motorcycle (I think it was like an extra $5)...:yikes:

I saw two categories in what I thought were membership packages. One was solely for automobiles, and the next pricier one at $117 per year, included motorcycles. I did send GS an email, asking for more information.

sandman53
03-27-2017, 11:57 AM
That 79$ Covers my 4 cars,spyder,toy hauler and boat trailer. Up to seven years,if Paid upfront.Used it three times already!

Road-Kill
03-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Everything comes down to price, miles towed and reliability of insurer.

Geico wants just $7.00 a YEAR but only tows 35 free miles and has no network and simply bids out to an available company.:yikes:

Can Am gave me FREE two years of roadside but only reimburses up to $200.00 per tow leaving a possible HUGE bill on my lap and has in their brochure...... DEAD areas:sour:.

AAA has a NETWORK of qualified tow operators across the country and will tow from 100-200 miles 4x a year (only one 200 mile tow yearly). Extra miles are also AAA discounted and if left stranded they offer lodging-rentals etc. $170.00 yearly covers my car and Spyder and other toys if I had them. The AAA tow operators have a vested interest in doing good work because of customer feedback. They have office locations everywhere and a reputation to maintain. I'm sure those other companies are good but I've been AAA for many years so it was a no brainer in continuing. If I want to save 1/2 the cost of the AAA Premier RV I could have just paid $35.00 extra for the AAA Plus RV. For $35.00 extra they give me hugs and such plus an extra 100 miles.

TicketBait
03-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Everything comes down to price, miles towed and reliability of insurer.

Geico wants just $7.00 a YEAR but only tows 35 free miles and has no network and simply bids out to an available company.:yikes:

Can Am gave me FREE two years of roadside but only reimburses up to $200.00 per tow leaving a possible HUGE bill on my lap and has in their brochure...... DEAD areas:sour:.

AAA has a NETWORK of qualified tow operators across the country and will tow from 100-200 miles 4x a year (only one 200 mile tow yearly). Extra miles are also AAA discounted and if left stranded they offer lodging-rentals etc. $170.00 yearly covers my car and Spyder and other toys if I had them. The AAA tow operators have a vested interest in doing good work because of customer feedback. They have office locations everywhere and a reputation to maintain. I'm sure those other companies are good but I've been AAA for many years so it was a no brainer in continuing. If I want to save 1/2 the cost of the AAA Premier RV I could have just paid $35.00 extra for the AAA Plus RV. For $35.00 extra they give me hugs and such plus an extra 100 miles.

Just to be clear, the one time 200 mile tow only applies to cars, not to the spyder or the RV, still is good with the 100 miles, but I too thought the premier card carried with AAA included my spyder, but only up to 100 miles. I have since down graded to the plus RV:thumbup:

Road-Kill
03-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Just to be clear, the one time 200 mile tow only applies to cars, not to the spyder or the RV, still is good with the 100 miles, but I too thought the premier card carried with AAA included my spyder, but only up to 100 miles. I have since down graded to the plus RV:thumbup:

The one 200 mile tow per year INCLUDES motorcycles. That's how it was explained to me and how their AAA website describes it. For $35.00 extra I went from Plus to Premiere which means nothing more then 100 extra in that one tow.

sandman53
03-29-2017, 05:48 PM
All I'm saying is look at good sam!

Road-Kill
03-29-2017, 06:11 PM
All I'm saying is look at good sam!

I did but I'm sticking with AAA for now. Thanks

TicketBait
03-29-2017, 06:33 PM
The one 200 mile tow per year INCLUDES motorcycles. That's how it was explained to me and how their AAA website describes it. For $35.00 extra I went from Plus to Premiere which means nothing more then 100 extra in that one tow.

Ok, I got the rest of the story...... I called AAA in Pennsylvania, which was southern Pennsylvania and the operator said there are approximately 10 different AAA Clubs in the state, each offering different coverages for different premiums. The one I called she said that her AAA club does not even offer tow for motorcycles or RV's just cars and trucks. She wanted to know which county you were in and I said only knew which part, North East, and she said York?, and I said I have no idea. This is now making more sense to me. So please be careful when you say "AAA" offers this or that. For you it is, but not for me.:( Very troubling that they can do this. But it all boils down to dollars and cents insurance and most likely not profitable for certain regions.:yikes:

You are lucky to have that coverage and hope you never have to use it!:thumbup:

Road-Kill
03-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Ok, I got the rest of the story...... I called AAA in Pennsylvania, which was southern Pennsylvania and the operator said there are approximately 10 different AAA Clubs in the state, each offering different coverages for different premiums. The one I called she said that her AAA club does not even offer tow for motorcycles or RV's just cars and trucks. She wanted to know which county you were in and I said only knew which part, North East, and she said York?, and I said I have no idea. This is now making more sense to me. So please be careful when you say "AAA" offers this or that. For you it is, but not for me.:( Very troubling that they can do this. But it all boils down to dollars and cents insurance and most likely not profitable for certain regions.:yikes:

You are lucky to have that coverage and hope you never have to use it!:thumbup:

You make an excellent point. I never knew AAA varied its product offerings from area to area. My area allows me coverage in areas they refuse to sell certain insurance in. I'm covered all over the U.S. yet those areas have limited AAA offerings. Yes I am lucky. I never understood why they (AAA) asks your zipcode before showing offerings. Thank you for the info.

http://ww2.aaa.com/services/cms/templates/index.html?page=JoinRenewalHome