PDA

View Full Version : Spyder up on jacks and ready to...

BigGuy66
03-25-2017, 08:08 AM
...do my own oil change. Been sitting and engine is cold. I want to run the engine to warm up the oil. Question - do I need to put it into gear and run the rear tire to get to the oil in the transmission? It's up on jacks and would run without any resistance. Or can I just warm up the engine without running the transmission? I'm doing this for my first time.... be gentle. 2010 RT SM5.
Jim

Trbayth
03-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Best way to warm it up is go on a ride. Do not run the rear tire while it's on the jacks; the computer will see the rear wheel spinning but the front wheels not spinning and will assume something is wrong and will throw an error.

BigGuy66
03-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Best way to warm it up is go on a ride. Do not run the rear tire while it's on the jacks; the computer will see the rear wheel spinning but the front wheels not spinning and will assume something is wrong and will throw an error.

... because I can't go on a ride - the tupperware is off and already on jacks - I WON'T run the transmission for the reason you said... next time I'll know.
Jim

Bensonoid
03-25-2017, 10:28 AM
I cut out a section of the belly pan so I could access the sump drain plug without removing it. That way I can pull it into the garage after a ride, jack it up and get the oil draining right away. If your pan is stopping you from doing this now is the time to modify it so you can next time.

Highwayman2013
03-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Warm it up and drain it, no need to put it in gear. If the belly pans bother you take them off and leave them off, won't hurt anything.