PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak in Trunk

Dudley
04-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I have seen this posted a long time ago. Don't know if anyone has solved it. I wash our Spyder today and found water in the bottom of the space used to hold the owner's manual packet. No other place in trunk had water. I believe the water is coming through the seam shown in pic. Am I right? Just as a second thought, I went back and checked, with a flaslight in the daylight and could find no water at the bottom of the trunk, only in the bottom of the manual packet holder. I ran my finger, pushing harder as I did along what look like a seam above the valcro buttons. Yep, water came out of the seam! So, I am gonna get some clear seal and do it to it!

Dudley
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Did some digging. Found the thread posted a bit ago, and seems like I found the leak. Will be doing some sealing!

barkingspyder
04-17-2009, 06:48 PM
can you post the thread? thx, cuz i got a leak...

Dudley
04-17-2009, 06:53 PM
can you post the thread? thx, cuz i got a leak...

Here it is:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5385&highlight=water+leak+trunk

Same thing I found.

barkingspyder
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
thanks Dudley!:2thumbs:

2faston3
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Dudly:

I have an early 2008 spyder sm5 and have had no problems.... However my wife just purchased a late 11/08 made se5 and while installing 12 v socket i noticed that it had sealant across that seam from the factory. Mine however did not. And hasn't leaked....

I would remove the front end and put a bead of silicone sealant across the entire seam...

It should fix your problem.

2faston3

NancysToy
04-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Dudly:

I have an early 2008 spyder sm5 and have had no problems.... However my wife just purchased a late 11/08 made se5 and while installing 12 v socket i noticed that it had sealant across that seam from the factory. Mine however did not. And hasn't leaked....

I would remove the front end and put a bead of silicone sealant across the entire seam...

It should fix your problem.

2faston3
The sealant is not from the factory. It is supposed to be applied by the dealer when the trunk is installed, at the time of setup.
-Scotty

Rando
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
The sealant is not from the factory. It is supposed to be applied by the dealer when the trunk is installed, at the time of setup.-ScottyScotty, I have a copy of the 2008 PDI and there is no mention of sealing the trunk. I re-sealed mine when I had it off to install the 12v adapter since I noticed the sealant was poorly applied.

NancysToy
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Scotty, I have a copy of the 2008 PDI and there is no mention of sealing the trunk. I re-sealed mine when I had it off to install the 12v adapter since I noticed the sealant was poorly applied.
I noticed that, too. Seems that it should be included. Many of the dealers are doing it now. Ours did it last year in March. Much easier at the time of trunk installation.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif