PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg - Spyders in the Smokies Event

SpyderGirl
04-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't know how many of you will be attending Spyders in the Smokies this year but as some of you may or may not know, the planned rides are limited to 25 Spyders only (and even that can be crowded).

SO, I am trying to organize an alternate ride to those who do not wish to go on one or more of the pre-planned rides or were not able to get into one of the pre-planned rides. Considering the hubby and I are leaving too early to catch the ride on The Tail of the Dragon on Thursday, someone on a local MC forum suggested another route which can be done as a loop along with the Tail of the Dragon. From the pictures I've seen of this route it looks like it's really worth going. We are going to do this loop and invite any of you who are interested to join along.

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-3386-1239998827.gif

The route, starting near Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg area is approximately 190 miles and will take at least 6 - 7 hours. There are going to be plenty of places to stop along the way and we should be nice and hungry for dinner when everyone gets together in the evening back in Gatlinburg.

More information and photos can be found at: http://www.cherohala.com/

Please post here and let me know if you think you might be interested in doing this ride and which day (Tuesday or Wednesday). I'll get a list started as soon as I start getting some interest.

This is the PDF of the full proposed route. E-mail me of you can't access this file.

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=7497

zzneonzz
04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I would be up for this if i'm able to make it out to the event. Doesn't matter what day its done to me.

SpyderGirl
04-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Awesome. :doorag:

Hope you can make it. :ohyea:

patches
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Sign me up please. I don't plan to on doing many of the rides this year, it was a bit crazy last year and even with a limit of 25, is still to many for me. I plan to do the long route one day and the devils triangle on another day.

SpyderGirl
04-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Sign me up please. I don't plan to on doing many of the rides this year, it was a bit crazy last year and even with a limit of 25, is still to many for me. I plan to do the long route one day and the devils triangle on another day.

Okay, so right now we're looking at 2 - 3 Spyders. I'm thinking no more than 10 MAX for this route, otherwise it's just too many. Agreed? I think we should do this one on Tuesday.

Devil's Triangle? Do tell. We're looking for another route for Wednesday. :yes:

zzneonzz
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Yea i agree anymore than 10 would be to many. Tuesday sounds good.

Capt John
04-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Sign me up. I plan on making the trip. Since I've never ridden with a bunch of riders, a smaller group seems the way to go. It does not matter what day. I plan on arriving Sunday and staying all week.

patches
04-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I will most likely be +1 spyder and +1 cruiser. So 3 total in my party.
Here is one of the links for the loop. Last year, we found it better to go get lost and then turn on the GPS and find the longest way home. It was by far the best way to go.
Here is a link, I will work on getting some exact routes to make it a full route from Gatlinburg. I plan to stay at the red roof inn again this year. It is nothing fancy but at least clean and walking distance from the watering hole.
http://tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html

Spyderjuice
04-18-2009, 09:02 AM
I plan on the trip this year, so sign me up for this ride please.

Patches I would love to meet you somewhere and ride to Gatlinburg, and any other NC riders that may be going.

Juice :D

patches
04-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I hope we can get Vinnie and some of the other NC riders as well. There are some folks in Wilmington that will most likey go as well. Let me talk to Hevenbound and see if we can't get something together before then. Last year we had a great get together starting in High Point area..can't remember the city. I have a ton going on until the end of May with baseball and soccer stuff but should be able to make it out on a Sunday.

Spyderjuice
04-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I think that ride last year was from Oak Ridge. I couldn't go on that one but look forward to any group rides this year. :ohyea:

Juice

orangespydiegirl
04-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Sign me up, plus one more spyder--RXX777

looking forward to meeting all of you guys and gals.

SpyderGirl
04-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Okay, so we have:

SpyderGirl
Patches
Zzneonzz
Capt John
Spyderjuice
Orangespydiegirl
RXX777

Plus a couple bikes... so we're looking at about 9 right now and I haven't even checked the other forum to see who wanted to go from other there. I have a Ninja friend in TN who might want to go too, I'm still waiting to hear from her.

AWESOME! :2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
04-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I will most likely be +1 spyder and +1 cruiser. So 3 total in my party.
Here is one of the links for the loop. Last year, we found it better to go get lost and then turn on the GPS and find the longest way home. It was by far the best way to go.
Here is a link, I will work on getting some exact routes to make it a full route from Gatlinburg. I plan to stay at the red roof inn again this year. It is nothing fancy but at least clean and walking distance from the watering hole.
http://tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html

That ride looks great. We'll do that one with you on Wednesday if you want. :D

So for the Cherohala Skyway / Tail of the Dragon loop I was thinking we would plan to meet at our resort in the morning where we are staying at in Pigeon Forge, grab an early breakfast, and then ride from there. Just have to pick which direction to ride the loop -- Dragon first or Cherohala first.... decisions... decisions.

I'll also find a place to stop and have a snack / lunch along with rest / fuel stops along the way. I'll get the details worked out before the big ride.

orangespydiegirl
04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Add RXX777 (my husband) he will be on his spyder too.

johnandginger
04-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I"LL BE THERE (EITHER DAY IS FINE),LOOKS LIKE A GREAT RIDE

SpyderGirl
04-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Okay, so we have reached out max amount of 10 bikes with:

SpyderGirl
Patches
Zzneonzz
Capt John
Spyderjuice
Orangespydiegirl
RXX777
Johnandginger

Plus a couple bikes and my local Ninja buddy... so we're looking at 11 for this ride. Please all e-mail me at spydergirl47@gmail.com so I can get you the tentative ride plan for that day. Also, my local Ninja buddy is going to try and hook us up with some photographers for the Dragon ride.

Star Cruiser
04-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Devil's Triangle? Do tell. We're looking for another route for Wednesday. :yes:

Devil's Triangle is an AWESOME road. Hwy 62 east of Wartburg to 116, Frozen head State Park north to Briceville Jacksboro and Lake City area. I was down there in Early April and it is a phenominal road. I can try to set up a GPS route on garmin and send it out your way. We ran a 206 mile route that we found on a "Madmaps" Regional Scenic Tours Map.

I am interested in riding down that way again, either Tuesday or Wednesday (or both) would be fine with me. If there are more than 6 or 7 Spyders, I would suggest multiple groups. We can be 10 minutes a part or so, that way we can still congregate for lunches and stuff. Keeping more than 10 Spyders together would be too much like work.

SpyderGirl
04-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Devil's Triangle is an AWESOME road. Hwy 62 east of Wartburg to 116, Frozen head State Park north to Briceville Jacksboro and Lake City area. I was down there in Early April and it is a phenominal road. I can try to set up a GPS route on garmin and send it out your way. We ran a 206 mile route that we found on a "Madmaps" Regional Scenic Tours Map.

I am interested in riding down that way again, either Tuesday or Wednesday (or both) would be fine with me. If there are more than 6 or 7 Spyders, I would suggest multiple groups. We can be 10 minutes a part or so, that way we can still congregate for lunches and stuff. Keeping more than 10 Spyders together would be too much like work.

Maybe we can do the Devils Triangle on Wednesday? That'd be cool. I've already mapped it out from Pigeon Forge and it's about 180 miles. Not too bad. Maybe you can do a plan for the Wednesday ride??

There aren't going to be 10 Spyders, just 7 or 8 and 3 or 4 motorcycles. It shouldn't be too bad. If we get split up though we all will know the route and will catch up for lunch in Deals Gap. :ohyea:

bjt
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I will most likely be +1 spyder and +1 cruiser. ...

Are you bringing the "Spyder killer" again this year? :D :D :D

spyder3rdr
04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm definitely going to Lamonster's cookout this year :2thumbs: so i'll be there in TN , really can't say when i'll make a pass (or 3) on the Dragon , Hellbender etc., It may be best that i Ryde alone so only I get the ticket :cus: ... :joke: I look forward to meeting alot of you :spyder2:Lovers !!!

bjt
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Not sure if dltang and I will go on any of the sanctioned rides. We might just get a few "nice ride" suggestions from lamonster or strike out on our own like patches recommended, ride around til you're good and lost then use the GPS to get back.

dltang
04-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Not sure if dltang and I will go on any of the sanctioned rides. We might just get a few "nice ride" suggestions from lamonster or strike out on our own like patches recommended, ride around til you're good and lost then use the GPS to get back.
Yup, we'll start a new event "Lost in the Smokies" Does anyone hear bango music? hmmm

patches
04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Are you bringing the "Spyder killer" again this year? :D :D :D

haha..yes, spyderkiller is coming out with me again.

Vinnie, what day will you be leaving. I am looking at leaving on Tuesday morning with 3 others and you are more than happy to join us, we all go your pace anyway.

bjt
04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Yup, we'll start a new event "Lost in the Smokies" Does anyone hear bango music? hmmm

Is that a cross between bongo and banjo? :D

Director
04-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Brian, if you register for the event, there will be a list of suggested routes available for self-guided tours. I only signed up for one organized tour on Wednesday, Sept. 23. Your alternate plan of getting "Lost in the Smokies" sounds good too, though. :thumbup:

Bruce

zzneonzz
04-21-2009, 09:51 AM

This is what i do almost every weekend. I go out hit the back roads keep going till its time to head home then just cut the GPS on and hit the button that says Home.

Smylinacha
04-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Is this the September event? HDX and I will try to go - depending on some things but we'd like to try! I don't want to go on any planned rides - only some casual stuff w/ the Spyderlovers we meet. I'm not a fan for big group rides and I don't listen well to instructions and I tend to zone out when it gets too complicated:2thumbs: Just want to go and have good food, good laughs and meet new Spyderlovers.

Roaddog2
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Is that a cross between bongo and banjo? :DDueling Banjos I Tink :yikes:

Director
04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Is this the September event? HDX and I will try to go - depending on some things but we'd like to try! I don't want to go on any planned rides - only some casual stuff w/ the Spyderlovers we meet. I'm not a fan for big group rides and I don't listen well to instructions and I tend to zone out when it gets too complicated:2thumbs: Just want to go and have good food, good laughs and meet new Spyderlovers.

Yes, it is. There are a lot of hotels to choose from, but a lot of us are staying at the Red Roof Inn (the one in Gatlinburg, not Pigeon Forge). My wife and I are only going on one organized ride. I think a lot of riders will just do their own thing and get together for meals and conversations.
Cheers,
Bruce

Star Cruiser
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Brian, if you register for the event, there will be a list of suggested routes available for self-guided tours. . :thumbup:
Bruce

Bruce, I looked around the brp site to try to register for the event and couldn't find where to register. Spydergirl, if you can add me I would appreciate it. I will send aPM to you (Spydergirl) after I post this.
Bruce is this a "BRP Event"?

Director
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Bruce, I looked around the brp site to try to register for the event and couldn't find where to register. Spydergirl, if you can add me I would appreciate it. I will send aPM to you (Spydergirl) after I post this.

Bill, it is not a BRP event. I sent you a PM with some info.

Cheers,

Bruce

SpyderGirl
04-22-2009, 10:07 AM

I'm with you, I don't want a great big group either. Now that I have like 11 or 12 riders interested I'm thinking we may need to split this group up into 2 and have the other group like about 15 minutes ahead or behind.

I'm up for whatever on Wednesday -- getting lost sounds nice, howeveer we do not have a GPS so we'll have to tag along with someone who does.

I can't wait!

** If you're wanting to go on the the Cherohala Skyway / Tail of the Dragon Loop Ride, PLEASE PM me so I can get a list together and e-mail out the route and planned stops that I have planned for that day - Tuesday, September 22nd. **

SpyderGirl
04-22-2009, 10:08 AM

Got ya. :2thumbs:

zzneonzz
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm with you, I don't want a great big group either. Now that I have like 11 or 12 riders interested I'm thinking we may need to split this group up into 2 and have the other group like about 15 minutes ahead or behind.

I'm up for whatever on Wednesday -- getting lost sounds nice, howeveer we do not have a GPS so we'll have to tag along with someone who does.

I can't wait!

** If you're wanting to go on the the Cherohala Skyway / Tail of the Dragon Loop Ride, PLEASE PM me so I can get a list together and e-mail out the route and planned stops that I have planned for that day - Tuesday, September 22nd. **

I have a GPS so getting lost is no big deal I'll just enter the location in to get us back :D

SpyderGirl
04-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a GPS so getting lost is no big deal I'll just enter the location in to get us back :D

Then I'm riding with you on the "getting lost in the Smokies" Day. :D

patches
04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Same here..got the GPS mojo going. Splitting up sounds good..no worries..we will make it all work. There are always peeps that go slower or faster than the others. Slow peeps in the back and fast ones up front and stop at major intersections until the back catches up. Should be a blast, can't wait.

wildbill6565
07-12-2009, 09:34 PM
My wife and I will be there with our two :spyder:s. Leaving early Saturday morning and staying till Sunday-week. Staying at Smokie Mountain resort!
Looking forward to meeting(:chat:) new Spyder Rider Friends and seeing the ones we have already met. Let the good times ROLL!!
Wildbill
Bill

Questions
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Bill, it is not a BRP event. I sent you a PM with some info.

Cheers,

Bruce
I'M NEW TO THE FORUMS AND CAN'T FIND ANY INFO CONCERNING THE RIDE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I DON'T SEE IT ON THE CALENDAR EITHER. IS THERE A LINK THAT TELLS ABOUT IT?

I'm mot yelling, just forgot the caps!!! :opps:

irish2themax
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd like to link up with some of the "independents" for a ride or two

orangespydiegirl
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
If you're wanting to go on the the Cherohala Skyway / Tail of the Dragon Loop Ride, PLEASE PM me so I can get a list together and e-mail out the route and planned stops that I have planned for that day - Tuesday, September 22nd. **
__________________ Spydergirl started this run so it's not on the "official rides" list on the web site. I found the above quote on one of her post just pm her and see if there's still room for more. RXX777 and I are going on this ride and can't wait to meet up with all of you.

Director
07-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I'M NEW TO THE FORUMS AND CAN'T FIND ANY INFO CONCERNING THE RIDE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I DON'T SEE IT ON THE CALENDAR EITHER. IS THERE A LINK THAT TELLS ABOUT IT?

I'm mot yelling, just forgot the caps!!! :opps:

Check your inbox, tberry. I sent you a PM with a link to the event.

Bruce

irish2themax
07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks OSG...just not sure I'm up for an all-day ryde which is what the Tail of the Dragon looks like. The BRP site has two other rydes....Good Times Ride and Long Ride but, typical for BRP, there are no details. Devil's Triangle looks reasonable....about 3 hours plus time to get there and back

However, if it is the "Short Ryde" (Map), count me in.

bjt
07-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks OSG...just not sure I'm up for an all-day ryde which is what the Tail of the Dragon looks like. The BRP site has two other rydes....Good Times Ride and Long Ride but, typical for BRP, there are no details. Devil's Triangle looks reasonable....about 3 hours plus time to get there and back

However, if it is the "Short Ryde" (Map), count me in.

Tail of the Dragon is not an all day ride, maybe 4 or 6 hours with the group as I recall. IMO, there are tons of great roads down there so "the Tail" isn't really special in that respect but it is the most famous ride in the area. Invariably, if I'm talking with other bikers and the talk comes around to the Smokie Mountains, the Tail of the Dragon gets mentioned as one of the great roads in the area.

SpyderGirl
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
The plan was to do the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway all on the same day. I have heard a lot of great things about the ride on the Skyway.... I still plan on doing this ride on Tuesday the 22nd leaving Pigeon Forge around 9AM and getting back in time for dinner around 6PM. For those who just want to do the first leg of the ride along the Tail of the Dragon you are of course not obligated to continue the ride along the Skyway. For those who want to ride along the Skyway, please feel free to join.

Please e-mail me at spydergirl47@gmail.com to be on the mailing list for the ride I planned on 9/22.... I will be forwarding the information to all interested prior to my departure from California on 9/10.

Can't wait to see you all there!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

bjt
07-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I guess I should have re-read the whole thread before posting. :opps: Sorry irish2themax and spydergirl. Anyways, last years group ride on the Dragon wasn't an all day'er. You might be able to check that out if its still available. I think they put a limit on how many riders were going to be allowed in the groups for this year's official guided rides. :dontknow:

irish2themax
07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
SpyderGirl...I e-mailed you. I'd like to join up for the first portion of the ryde. I'll drop out in Robbinsville when you head out to the Cherohala Skyway.

Thanks for your work in getting us together.

I look forward to meeting you and the others.

Brian

irish2themax
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I am really looking forward to this event. It will be GREAT to meet a bunch of other Spyder Ryders.

Does anyone have directions or GPS coords for the Thursday BBQ at the Monster's? Also, any details such as start time, can we bring anything?, will there be ice for soft drinks, etc.

Are we going to try to coordinate getting together for dinner(s)? I see there is a Meet-N-Greet on Monday night (God knows where though).

Thanks.

Brian

Zerocool
07-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm planning on attending :yes:

Be nice to to finally meet the group and :chat:

More to follow...

SpyderGirl
07-15-2009, 12:03 AM
SpyderGirl...I e-mailed you. I'd like to join up for the first portion of the ryde. I'll drop out in Robbinsville when you head out to the Cherohala Skyway.

Thanks for your work in getting us together.

I look forward to meeting you and the others.

Brian

I didn't get your e-mail, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll put you on the list. Same goes for anyone here that wants to participate in all or part of the ride.

irish2themax
09-18-2009, 07:11 AM
SG....Is this ride still on and am I on the list? I definitely would like to do this

Brian

rnet
09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
SG....Is this ride still on and am I on the list? I definitely would like to do this

Brian Brian I got an email before she left the west coast and yes it's still on. Eat and meet at cracker barrel Tue 7-8:30 am

orangespydiegirl
09-18-2009, 08:45 PM
which cracker barrell, I didn't receive my e mail from her and we"re on the list to ride this day.

rnet
09-18-2009, 08:55 PM
which cracker barrell, I didn't receive my e mail from her and we"re on the list to ride this day. I sent you a PM

johnandginger
09-20-2009, 11:43 PM
I am really looking forward to this event. It will be GREAT to meet a bunch of other Spyder Ryders.

Does anyone have directions or GPS coords for the Thursday BBQ at the Monster's? Also, any details such as start time, can we bring anything?, will there be ice for soft drinks, etc.

Are we going to try to coordinate getting together for dinner(s)? I see there is a Meet-N-Greet on Monday night (God knows where though).

Thanks.

Brian
I have gps set with lamont's home address on it. the meet & greet monday is at Smokey's Pub & Grub (1151 Parkway Gatlinburg,Tn.-traffic light #10)

WackyDan
09-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Any room left on this ride? PM me. I may ditch the thursday ride for this one if there is room.

johnandginger
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Then I'm riding with you on the "getting lost in the Smokies" Day. :D
I'm up for ride on wednesday. got all your info.spydergirl(signed up for rides on tuesday,but will arrive late tuesday.:2excited:my 1st get together in Smokies