PDA

View Full Version : Car Tires and Insurance

I-Day
03-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Just wondering if you put a car tire on if that will have negative effect on your insurance God forbid you would ever have to make a claim?

Deanna777
03-23-2017, 05:35 PM
What year is your spyder?

What spyder model do you have?

Someone will chime in to help.

Deanna

BajaRon
03-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Just wondering if you put a car tire on if that will have negative effect on your insurance God forbid you would ever have to make a claim?

Just do it and don't look back. I am not aware of anyone having an issue of the insurance nature with installing a less expensive, better tire on a Spyder. The Spyder comes with inferior car tires from the factory. You're simply improving the situation.

cognaccruiser
03-23-2017, 05:51 PM

The Kenda is in actuality a car tire already. They just call it a "bike tire". My answer would be no. With as many folks as there are that have put other car tires on their Spyder I just can't see a problem and I'm never going to worry about it but that's just my opinion.

Gary

Bob Denman
03-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Will a car tire affect your insurance?

NO!! nojoke

39 years in the Insurance business...

...And I run a Kumho on the rear of my Spyder! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-23-2017, 06:07 PM
#1 - They would have to notice ......... #2 - they would have to prove having THAT tire caused the problem ..... #3 - I can't think of any Car tire that Doesn't EXCEED the specs of the Kenda tire ................. as Ron said above , don't worry about it ....... Also the " Kenda is a car tire that is stamped " for special motorcycle use only " .... because ............... IT'S A WARNING ----- DO NOT USE IT ON A CAR - IT WILL FAIL ....... they could say it more understandably this way " This tire is GARBAGE " , but that would cause loss of sales and nervousness :yikes::yikes: :roflblack: .. Mike :bbq:

I-Day
03-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone! A car tire it is. I just purchased a 2017 F3 Limitted which is my first Spyder. Been on two wheels for 35 years but I love the Spyder and have many questions. It's nice to be on these forums and ask for advice! I am not anticipating the stock tire to last very long!

I-Day
03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
What year is your spyder?

What spyder model do you have?

Someone will chime in to help.

Deanna

I have a 2017 F3 Limitted

I-Day
03-23-2017, 06:42 PM
#1 - They would have to notice ......... #2 - they would have to prove having THAT tire caused the problem ..... #3 - I can't think of any Car tire that Doesn't EXCEED the specs of the Kenda tire ................. as Ron said above , don't worry about it ....... Also the " Kenda is a car tire that is stamped " for special motorcycle use only " .... because ............... IT'S A WARNING ----- DO NOT USE IT ON A CAR - IT WILL FAIL ....... they could say it more understandably this way " This tire is GARBAGE " , but that would cause loss of sales and nervousness :yikes::yikes: :roflblack: .. Mike :bbq:

Thank You!

Peter Aawen
03-23-2017, 08:10 PM
....I am not anticipating the stock tire to last very long!

What Blueknight said ^^ really does highlight the whole insurance furphy!!

As for how long they last, for what it's worth, I wouldn't waste potentially great ryding time & wait for the Kendas to wear out, especially for the rear tire - altho thinking about it, while the fronts might sorta last OK, they too could be a whole lot better when it comes to traction, handling, & ride etc! :p

So sure, run the Kenda rubber for a while, long enough to get a feel for it (they really aren't ALL bad!! Close to it, but not all, cos there's no denying that they do mainly keep the metal bits off the ground OK!! :shocked: ) Don't waste too much time tho, before getting some real tires underneath it to give you better ride, traction, handling, all weather performance, arguably even less road noise, so you can start exploring how great these Spyders CAN ryde & handle - once they have 'proper' tires providing the best of that all important link between them & the ground!! :thumbup:

Sarge707
03-23-2017, 08:23 PM
I had the Kenda Rear on my 2009 GS for 16,000 Miles with absolutely NO problem- Kenda on my 2012 RT for 16,000 miles with absolutely NO problem! Switched to the Kumho on the RT because it was HALF the cost- No Problem! Don't throw the Kenda away- That would be stupid? Replace it with something cheaper when the time comes!

Peter Aawen
03-23-2017, 08:43 PM
I agree that many people may have been prepared to accept running Kendas & experiencing no 'problems' in doing so, but the significant thing about running them is that at best they are only providing a sub-par feel for what the Spyder CAN be like & how good it CAN ride & handle when it has a better tire underneath it!! :shocked:

The more I see & experience with them, the more obvious it becomes that the major shortfall on all Spyders is the Kendas - sure, a/mkt sway bars, shocks, even shock adjusters & other stuff can improve things like that squirrelly ride & handling some complain about; but I believe that the single most significant improvement anyone can make to their Spyder is to throw away the crappy Kendas & fit just about any other similar sized tire that has at least the specified load & speed ratings, altho almost all other tires that will safely go on the Spyder rims (ie, car tires) exceed those specs... and the 'better' the tire, the greater the improvement in everything that tires can impact! ;)

So sure, you can stick with the Kendas & complacently accept the ride & handling you'll get from them, OR you could fit almost any other tire & discover how much better the Spyder can be.... And I'd suggest that it's pointless wasting time on sticking with the Kendas when they aren't doing all that much for you anyway & just about anything else is gonna be soooo much better in so many ways, cost being just one of them!! (but if you want to call doing that 'stupid', I won't argue the point! :sour: ) Your call tho, I am well aware that some people are perfectly happy accepting mediocrity; I don't, & I don't really understand WHY they would do that, especially when it comes to their Spyder, especially when it's so easy to resolve/replace the source of the problem & thereby get to experience more of what these great machines are capable of?!? :dontknow: But if that's what you want to do.....