PDA

View Full Version : Should I do the Oil Change myself?

rkba101
03-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Debating if I should change the oil myself or dealer it.. I called the dealer and they are asking 180. I am very mechanically inclined and watched some of the vids to change the oil myself, but I can not figure out how much it will cost if I do this myself. I do plan on changing the oil plug so the magnetic one will encourage longevity. Anyone know how much an Oil Change kit cost? Thanks Phil..

AY4B
03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Debating if I should change the oil myself or dealer it.. I called the dealer and they are asking 180. I am very mechanically inclined and watched some of the vids to change the oil myself, but I can not figure out how much it will cost if I do this myself. I do plan on changing the oil plug so the magnetic one will encourage longevity. Anyone know how much an Oil Change kit cost? Thanks Phil..

What Spyder do you have? Baja Ron sells kits here that include Amsoil and High Flow filters. I have done it a few times. its not hard and you get to know your machine intimately.:bbq:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

BajaRon
03-20-2017, 06:12 PM

It will cost you in the neighborhood of $85.00 (give or take depending on what products you go with). You dont' say what Spyder you have and that also makes a difference.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
It will cost you in the neighborhood of $85.00 (give or take depending on what products you go with). You dont' say what Spyder you have and that also makes a difference.
" V-TWIN " .....SE TRANS .............. it was in his Bio.......... Mike :thumbup:

AY4B
03-20-2017, 08:59 PM
" V-TWIN " .....SE TRANS .............. it was in his Bio.......... Mike :thumbup:

Not everyone digs into Bio's, Questions like this is why info is posted all about our ryde on our Sig.:thumbup:

rkba101
03-20-2017, 09:38 PM
2013 ST

What Spyder do you have? Baja Ron sells kits here that include Amsoil and High Flow filters. I have done it a few times. its not hard and you get to know your machine intimately.:bbq:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

electricman
03-20-2017, 09:41 PM
I have a 2011 can-am spyder RT.I was told $160.00 for a oil change ,But any ways i got prices on oil, oil fillter,o rings, and going to get two sets of rubber ramps $so with the ramps $185.00 after that about $95.00 or soto use three of them lol then back up on to them that give me 13'' i saw this on other thread well will see.

bzbaeren
03-20-2017, 09:51 PM
I know that some may think me stupid for this but I will pay my dealer because I want that dealer to sty in business. Its a tough business world right now and they need support in the form of our disposable income to stay in business I have seen one dealer fold and one lose interest in support in my area we need BRP to be successful and not go the way others who have shut down lines.

rkba101
03-20-2017, 10:44 PM
What ramps?

I have a 2011 can-am spyder RT.I was told $160.00 for a oil change ,But any ways i got prices on oil, oil fillter,o rings, and going to get two sets of rubber ramps $so with the ramps $185.00 after that about $95.00 or soto use three of them lol then back up on to them that give me 13'' i saw this on other thread well will see.

Chupaca
03-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Go on ebay, for oem kits, and you will find good deals on oil change kits with free delivery. Ron is right about $85.00 for all you will need...:thumbup:

ricford
03-21-2017, 09:28 AM
I know that some may think me stupid for this but I will pay my dealer because I want that dealer to sty in business. Its a tough business world right now and they need support in the form of our disposable income to stay in business I have seen one dealer fold and one lose interest in support in my area we need BRP to be successful and not go the way others who have shut down lines.
I agree totally. My local dealer is still in business, servicing Spyders and the four wheel things, but has quit selling Spyders. He wasn't selling enough to contend with the expense. You had enough money to buy that 30 Grand machine but bitching about the cost of an oil change. I'm of Scotish descent but didn't get the tight gene. So, yeah, Support Your Local Gunfighter!

Ex-Rocket
03-21-2017, 09:35 AM
I say support our Spyderlovers sponsors first and if you can't find what your looking for, its probably not made yet. I have purchased several things from Lamont and from Harvey ( Spyderpops) , Ron with BajaRon and several others over the years.

Bfromla
03-21-2017, 09:50 AM
:ohyea:
But consider all the other things that need inspecting at the same time:lecturef_smilie:
Trained tech knows what & where to look where as you will be learning :hun: as you go.
Heres the link has list of prices& other fine farkles to consider:2thumbs::

(not saying you couldn't find link, just making easier)

pegasus1300
03-21-2017, 09:59 AM
What ramps?
rather then use jacks some of us use car ramps to get the Spyder up a little higher to do the oil change. They are pretty cheap and a one time expense that you can use for other things.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2017, 10:44 AM
:ohyea:
But consider all the other things that need inspecting at the same time:lecturef_smilie:
Trained tech knows what & where to look where as you will be learning :hun: as you go.
Heres the link has list of prices& other fine farkles to consider:2thumbs::

(not saying you couldn't find link, just making easier)
" trained techs " :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack: ......, the only ones I've met so far are the ones BRP sends to BRP sponsored events ..... I could spend hours telling you about horror stories and the idiots I've met since 09 ........ not to mention the totally dis-honest Stealers ......... Don't mis-understand me .... I'm PRO - spyder, Pro -BRP , but I don't drink the Kool-Aid ...........jmho, and your entitled to yours :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: .... Mike :bbq::bbq: