PDA

View Full Version : Wiring

Dirtnapper73
03-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Hello, could anyone point me towards a thread or video that can show me how to wire up a usb plug to my bars. Mainly in looking for the best way to route the wires. Thanks.

Peteoz
03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Hello, could anyone point me towards a thread or video that can show me how to wire up a usb plug to my bars. Mainly in looking for the best way to route the wires. Thanks.

Not sure what model F3 you have, but Lamonster's YouTube videos are a good start point.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfC9JzV93Q

Pete

SPYD3R
03-20-2017, 05:08 PM
GO DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY...
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT TRY TO TAP INTO THE 'OEM' WIRE HARNESS AT ANY POINT... BAD BAD BAD.... :gaah:
HERE'S WHAT I DID ON MY F3...
I MOUNTED A X-MEMBER TO MY WINDSHIELD SUPPORTS, AND MOUNTED THE USB TO THAT, ALONG WITH MY RADAR DETECTOR & GARAGE DOOR OPENER....
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT...
DAN P
SPYD3R

Dirtnapper73
03-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Sorry i forgot to mention it is a 2016 F3-s, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Dirtnapper73
03-20-2017, 09:48 PM
That's strange i was under the impression that the battery was under the seat.

loisk
03-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Battery is in the frunk on f3s. Was under seat on earlier models. Just take out frunk liner via four push tabs, and there's the battery.

you could use the customer accessory circuit located under the safety card little panel and feed wire up to where you want it.

Dirtnapper73
03-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Battery is in the frunk on f3s. Was under seat on earlier models. Just take out frunk liner via four push tabs, and there's the battery.

you could use the customer accessory circuit located under the safety card little panel and feed wire up to where you want it.
Cool thank you very much, you made it a lot easier.

WackyDan
03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
GO DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY...
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT TRY TO TAP INTO THE 'OEM' WIRE HARNESS AT ANY POINT... BAD BAD BAD.... :gaah:
HERE'S WHAT I DID ON MY F3...
I MOUNTED A X-MEMBER TO MY WINDSHIELD SUPPORTS, AND MOUNTED THE USB TO THAT, ALONG WITH MY RADAR DETECTOR & GARAGE DOOR OPENER....
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT...
DAN P
SPYD3R

NOPE...

Just Nope. While a direct connect to the battery is an option there are two problems with that.

1. Unless your USB socket has a separate on/off switch, that USB socket will ALWAYS draw power regardless of whether or not a usb device is plugged in... So you'll have perpetual parasitic draw 24/7 or if it has a switch and you forget to turn it off.

2. BRP provides 3 accessory hookups. One at the Frunk and battery, One on the left side for the bars, and one under the rear seat. They are a switched circuit that only energizes with the engine and are probably the best option for most people.

I have a direct connect to the battery too for when I need it, but it is just a powerlet and not a USB port so no parasitic power consumption when parked and not on a battery tender.