PDA

View Full Version : Oil/dip stick

Steamer
03-19-2017, 11:35 AM
I just changed the oil in my 2015 F3SE. I put in 5 qts.-3oz, ran the bike for 9 miles, let it idle for approx. 7 minutes and then tested the level on the dip stick. It read just above the first "add bubble"
i have read all the previous posts about the change in the amount of oil you should add, but if I add the correct amount of oil and follow the procedure for measuring the oil, what should the dip stick read? Full? Half way? Just above add?
BTW I ordered the oil change kit (minus the oil) from Baja Ron and the delivery was made within two days and the price was very reasonable.

JayBros
03-19-2017, 11:45 AM
If you're above the first "Add" bulge you have more than the minimim requirement. Add another four ounces and see where that reads. Get it in the middle of the range and ride, ride, ride!

Beachbum
03-19-2017, 11:50 AM
I did an oil change on an F3 SE6 and it took 5qts+6oz to bring it right up to the full mark on the dipstick after a 15min ride and letting it idle 'till the fan cycled twice.

Steamer
03-19-2017, 12:03 PM
OK, thanks for the responses.

Bob Denman
03-19-2017, 12:45 PM
How's it looking now?

WackyDan
03-21-2017, 09:59 AM
OK, thanks for the responses.

Yeah... When you add, only do like 2 ounces at a time. It doesn't take much to get that to over filled on the dip.

Chupaca
03-21-2017, 10:15 AM
the capasity and the amounts used and the recommondations do not match especially from unit to unit. You should add oil back in and get it to just below the full mark and check it regularly on the V-twins. Much of the differences will be in when and how you change the oil, how hot it is at change, how long you let it drain, if you change the filter/s on each change. Never add all the recommended amount all at once start with 3 or 4 quarts then start her up recheck and add till you get to the correct level...:thumbup:

Steamer
03-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Chupaca, thanks for your guidelines on oil level. I actually changed the oil on both our 2015 F3se and followed the manual for oil capacity which was 5qts 9oz. I then made sure to follow the directions for checking the oil level, warm up, 9 miles, idle, and check. Dip stick read full to the top bulb.
THEN I looked on the forum and contacted Baja Ron and found out that the recommended oil change capacity with the filter change was 5 qts. Drained some oil and made the capacity 5qts and 2oz. Dip stick now reads just above the add mark.
This is crazy. Shouldn't the oil read at the full mark?

AeroPilot
03-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Can Am has this "feature" of making the dipstick a challenge to read just so some of us Obsessive Compulsive types have something to worry about. If you have at least 5 quarts in after an oil change and the oil is above the lower bulb, you have plenty of oil to take a good run. I usually put about 6 oz out of a separate Qt bottle and it will be over halfway between the lower and "full" bulb on the stick. The only time I run with oil on the top bulb is during break in with the oil from the original set up still in the bike.

I figure with most 2.3 litre car engines only requiring 4 to 4.5 quarts of oil, that the 5 qts in our 1.33 Litre Rotax engines should be plenty to keep it cool and lubed:2thumbs:

I check the oil about once a week after a 100 mile ride and it's expanded to be on the upper half of the interval between the bulbs. I hardly ever have added oil between changes and usually only a couple ounces on these 1330's.