PDA

View Full Version : Well it had to happen....and it just did!

OJ UK
03-13-2017, 12:40 PM
"Check DPS" scrolling across screen and check engine light on. No power steering.

So it's yet another DPS module failure I suppose or could it be something else?

Any suggestions?

monkeyboymorton
03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
"Check DPS" scrolling across screen and check engine light on. No power steering.

So it's yet another DPS module failure I suppose or could it be something else?

Any suggestions?

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I didn't realise the F3s were susceptible to this fault?

Are you taking it to GS to get it diagnosed?

Bob Denman
03-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Could you just have a wonky sensor? :dontknow:
Please let us know what it turns out to be, and Good Luck! :thumbup:

monkeyboymorton
03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
I've just read a few threads on DPS faults from previous models, most seem to point to electrical issues. The DPS seems to be the first thing to complain if voltage drops in the system.

Don't know if you've done a search OJ but the common things to check seem to be battery, battery terminals, electrical accessories and so on. So if you can it may be worth checking voltage when the engine is running and the fault is on screen.

ARtraveler
03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I cannot offer mechanical advice on the subject. Please inform the site and let us know what happens. :popcorn::popcorn:

OJ UK
03-13-2017, 05:43 PM
I've just read a few threads on DPS faults from previous models, most seem to point to electrical issues. The DPS seems to be the first thing to complain if voltage drops in the system.

Don't know if you've done a search OJ but the common things to check seem to be battery, battery terminals, electrical accessories and so on. So if you can it may be worth checking voltage when the engine is running and the fault is on screen.

No, I shan't be playing with it! It's under guarantee and already on a trailer going to 158 Performance. It should be with them for first thing in the morning and then all will be revealed.

Chupaca
03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Hope it is just a glitch and can be cleared up quickly. :pray:

monkeyboymorton
03-14-2017, 08:30 AM
No, I shan't be playing with it! It's under guarantee and already on a trailer going to 158 Performance. It should be with them for first thing in the morning and then all will be revealed.

Of course, forgot about warranty. Mine's out next month so have almost dismissed it.

jneg2
03-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Do you have lots of accessory lighting wired in?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OJ UK
03-16-2017, 04:52 AM
Do you have lots of accessory lighting wired in?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No. Not a lot. I have two short LED strips on the A arms which have been there since the bike was new.

OJ UK
03-16-2017, 05:25 AM
OK! Despite the recovery company, Mondial, (Can-Am Assistance) deciding to over-ride my wishes and take the
bike to another, geographically closer dealer, I have some resolution BUT another on-going problem has reared it's ugly head!

The error message seems to have been down to a poor battery connection which has been rectified. The fault code has not re-appeared
during the test ride after the work was completed.

HOWEVER upon inspection the front discs are warped and require replacement....there is a slight judder under braking.
BRP say this is down to wear and tear and won't replace discs under warranty (Where have we heard this before?)

There is no sign of overheating either on the pads or the discs and the bike has covered under
10,000 miles and not been subjected to any fierce braking. The pads were in need of replacement with wear at around 60%.
The pads have been replaced at my cost....Fair enough, they're consumable items. I have retained the original pads.

While I am a quick rider, I ride smoothly and don't over-use or ride the brake pedal just as I used to teach my pupils as
a motorcycle instructor some years back.

So what can cause warpage on discs when overheating and general mis-use is not to blame? My money is on a bad batch of discs but unless other
riders have suffered the same fault that theory goes out of the window. Has any one else suffered premature disc warping on an F3?
Apparently the dealer who discovered the problem has changed pads on 1330 RTs after less than 5,000 miles, but that's a different, heavier machine
which is likely to be ridden two-up more often.
There are other possibilities which come to mind but I'd like to hear from F3 owners who have had to either change pads earlier than expected or, in fact
suffered warped discs....Over to you!

Oh! I forgot to mention that the bike is on its way back to me today. I have yet to take delivery of it.

Bob Denman
03-16-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm glad to hear that the DPS failure was an easy one to fix! :clap: :thumbup:
Warped discs DO happen... to almost any vehicle with disc brakes.
Unless you've got almost no miles on the bike: proving a manufacturing defect will no be easy. :shocked:
I honestly can't recall too many reports of this happening; maybe a half-dozen or so?
Good luck, and please let us know what happens next!

monkeyboymorton
03-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear DPS fault was just electrical too.

I've not noticed any issues with the brakes on my F3, other than they could be better - fade too easily after a few big stops for my liking.

I'm goign to be chaning my brake fluid in a few weeks and was going to check pad wear and disc run-out - I'll report back. I'm on just under 11K miles.

SpyderNeil
03-16-2017, 05:07 PM
HOWEVER upon inspection the front discs are warped and require replacement....there is a slight judder under braking.

Has the judder shown up over time, or has it been there from the first. Have the front wheel been removed at any time before the judder appeared?

Neil

BajaRon
03-16-2017, 07:20 PM
I would check on the price of EBC rotors. They are made in the UK and they are much superior to the BRP items. (HH Pads and Rotors)

Glad the DPS was easily fixed. The DPS is a power hog. It must have a good battery.

OJ UK
03-16-2017, 08:00 PM
I would check on the price of EBC rotors. They are made in the UK and they are much superior to the BRP items. (HH Pads and Rotors)

Glad the DPS was easily fixed. The DPS is a power hog. It must have a good battery.

Hi Ron, Thanks for that! I knew that EBC did pads but I wasn't aware that they also made rotors.
Well it's all been settled. My dealer is going to replace the discs FoC so we shall hopefully see an improvement.

Bob Denman
03-17-2017, 07:09 AM
:yes: That is VERY good news! :congrats: :2thumbs:

It sure sounds as if your dealer wnats to keep you as a customer! :D

OJ UK
03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
In the main the UK dealers are a splendid bunch of guys and most are enthusiasts.
They do their best to help the owners where they can and realise that we don't have bottomless
pockets. It's a business model that works especially as other manufacturers look as if they're
going to dip their toes in the three wheel bike pond!
The new discs are on their way from Ghent in Belgium and should be at the dealer for Tuesday.
Then I have a nice 260 miles round trip to have the discs fitted.