PDA

View Full Version : Help - I have an oil question 2011 Can Am Spyder RT

DarkAcres
03-11-2017, 11:14 AM
I recently purchased a used 2013 Can Am Spyder RT from of all places, a Harley Dealership. It only had 5500 miles on it and it was a great deal. I just thought about checking the oil and realize that it's barely showing at the bottom of the dipstick. (Stupid, I know) I need to drive 30 miles to the nearest Can Am dealership to have them change the oil and check it out. Can I drive it that far without adding oil without damaging the engine? If I should at least add a little oil, I really don't have an idea of what kind of oil the prior owner had in there. What oil should I add that won't cause a mixing problem if I don't add the same kind that is currently in it? Unfortunately, I've put several hundred miles on this bike since I bought it. I know it's not leaking because I have it parked in the garage and there is no oil spot. But last time I drove it, I got a warning, i think it was SS(x) fault, then it went into Limp Home Mode and was running poorly. After reading through lots of messages, I think I could have turned the Can Am off and back on and reset it. But I was afraid to turn it off at the time. Now I'm afraid I've ruined something in the engine. I just want to get it to the dealership so they can change the oil and run some diagnostics So, can I drive it when the oil is that low? And if not, what kind do you guys think I should add. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Chupaca
03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
to the spyder world and this site..congrats on the new ryde..:2thumbs: your model, as all V-twins, do use oil. You should check it every 500 miles and add as needed. the other thing is how you check the oil. You must first warm the engine or take a good ryde and then check the oil while the engine is at operating temp. If in doubt about the oil get some synthetic blend oil FOR MOTORCYCLES and add till you can make a full change. If you have oil showing on the stick you are fine to ryde those 30 miles... Possibly a vss warning that should clear once you shut down and remove the key letting the computers reset...

DarkAcres
03-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks so much! I was checking the oil while the engine was cold! I'll warm it up and check again.

Highwayman2013
03-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Welcome! When you're at the dealer get some BRP oil to add. Our 2012 used about a quart between changes.

DGoebel
03-11-2017, 11:56 AM
:agree:+1 Had the same issue with my Spyder after riding it 150 miles home from the dealer (who showed me the oil level, cold, not properly).
If you're taking it to the dealer for a full oil and filter change, it's safe to do so, just don't romp on it on the way there.

I did just get a quart of full synthetic Valvoline 4tStroke 10w-40 oil from the local AZone as the local Wmart didn't carry it. Just a bit brought it up to the safe zone.

Jeriatric
03-11-2017, 11:59 AM
"Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners... (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners)

:doorag: Keep smiling

quasi
03-11-2017, 12:05 PM
2013 rt, if it hasn't had the heat recall done, make sure your spyder shop does it. also I bought mine at a Harley dealership to.

SPYD3R
03-11-2017, 12:52 PM
my RS v-twin ALWAYS used 1 qt. between oil changes... i would recommend you check yours no less than every 1000 miles, maybe sooner....
CONGRATZ on join'n our group.... many gr8 people on this site.... if you have ANY question, i'm certain somebody here will have the answer...
good luck, ride safely & most of all ENJOY.....
Dan P
SPYD3R

ARtraveler
03-11-2017, 01:40 PM
:congrats: on your purchase. :yes:

Chupaca (post #2) and Jerbear (post #6) have you covered. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-11-2017, 01:48 PM
:welcome:
Your Spyder doesn't carry it's oil in the crankcase: it's in a separate tank... nojoke
As such: the procedure for properly checking the oil level is pretty specific...
Bring the bike up to normal operating temperatures.
(This means "take it for a ride, and check the oil upon your return.)
While you're finding a clean enough rag, and removing the side panel: let the bike idle.
(Thirty seconds or so...)
Shut her down, pull the dipstick, and wipe it off
Re-insert it, and screw it in fully.

NOW...
Pull it again, and read the oil level

Easy-Peasey! :D

Sarge707
03-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Its Important to Note that with the 998 V twin your oil dipstick could possibly show NO or VERY LITTLE oil on the stick when COLD!!! Do Not Make the Mistake of adding a quart of oil because you THINK it is low?? Check It "By the Manual" after a GOOD ride!!!nojoke