PDA

View Full Version : I hate to ask but is this a good deal? 2013 Can-AmŪ SpyderŪ ST Limited SE5

shawleyj
03-08-2017, 09:46 AM
I have found a 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited SE5 with 5,900 miles on it. They are selling it for $13,500. Thanks for your help :)

Pirate looks at --
03-08-2017, 10:02 AM
I think that we just saw a dealer that had a couple of left over STLs for $9999.00 brand new.

Tazzel
03-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Offer 10k and see what happens. Also check to see if the recall heat panels were put in. This would be a free service but can be a pain if the dealer is not close by.

Vicspyder
03-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I paid 12,700 for a 13 with less miles. That was 8 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-08-2017, 10:49 AM
2013 wasn't the best year of the STs... They had serious heat problems, that could even melt some of the underbody components. :yikes:
If ALL of the heat attenuation procedures have been completed on it: try offering them 10K. We've heard reports of new leftovers at that price.

Happy Hunting! :thumbup:

shawleyj
03-08-2017, 10:56 AM
This process is exhausting :shocked:. But thanks you all for the advice. This one is at a dealer so I'm sure they won't come down on price. I will keep looking.

Tazzel
03-08-2017, 11:02 AM
This process is exhausting :shocked:. But thanks you all for the advice. This one is at a dealer so I'm sure they won't come down on price. I will keep looking.

I would not be to sure on that. Spyders are a nitch market and can sit unsold for awhile. If they want to move it they will sale at reasonable offer. Don't over pay, there will be others that come up for sale. Remember when you make offer always say "out the door". Dealers can start tagging on all sorts of fees.

My friend has a 2013 ST and just loves it. Getting the heat panels put on not only makes the Spyder look better but really reduced any heat issues that he was having.

He also had to put on the BajaRon Sway bar and Elka front shocks for better handling. ST's steering are a little weak upfront. If you want the Spyder to hold a true line then this would be a must upgrade.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Consider this .................. neither of the above Spyders are being made anymore !!!! ....... The V-twin had a great run, but the 1330 Ace and the changes to the transmission had BRP rethinking the viability of continuing those models......... and they decided they wouldn't ....... Mike :thumbup:

Tazzel
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Consider this .................. neither of the above Spyders are being made anymore !!!! ....... The V-twin had a great run, but the 1330 Ace and the changes to the transmission had BRP rethinking the viability of continuing those models......... and they decided they wouldn't ....... Mike :thumbup:

True but the Used 998 V-twins are a great entry into the Spyder world without the large price tag. The 1330 are a great improvement but the 998 are still great machines and have more then enough power to get you there.

Chupaca
03-08-2017, 12:42 PM
but as mentioned above there are better deals out there. Tough time to shop what with the weather getting better prices tend to go up....:banghead: good luck...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
True but the Used 998 V-twins are a great entry into the Spyder world without the large price tag. The 1330 are a great improvement but the 998 are still great machines and have more then enough power to get you there.

Haze
03-08-2017, 03:40 PM
I would not be to sure on that. Spyders are a nitch market and can sit unsold for awhile. If they want to move it they will sale at reasonable offer. Don't over pay, there will be others that come up for sale. Remember when you make offer always say "out the door". Dealers can start tagging on all sorts of fees.

My friend has a 2013 ST and just loves it. Getting the heat panels put on not only makes the Spyder look better but really reduced any heat issues that he was having.

He also had to put on the BajaRon Sway bar and Elka front shocks for better handling. ST's steering are a little weak upfront. If you want the Spyder to hold a true line then this would be a must upgrade.

Sounds like you are describing my machine.
2013 STS bought a year ago for $11,000 with less than 2000 miles.
Added a BajaRon sway bar and Elka Springs & Shocks. Also found OEM saddle bags to
make the machine tour ready. Dealer installed the 2014 side panels for heat attenuation.
Its a now a great ride.

There good deals available...

ARtraveler
03-08-2017, 03:52 PM
kbb retail price is $15,200 for the LTD. It sounds like a pretty good deal based on kbb.

If it is NOT a limited, the price would be $12,900. Regardless, you should start your negotiations about $2K lower than book. These days, there appears to be a $4K margin for the dealer built into every trade in price.

JimVonBaden
03-08-2017, 04:44 PM
No idea if it is good. But I picked up one in November for my wife, a 2013 SR-S SE5 with 1400 miles on it for $9K.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2013%20Spyder%20ST-S/2013%20Spyder%20ST-S%206.jpg

It came with the backrest, Givi top case and comfort seat, along with the stock seat.

jaherbst
03-08-2017, 05:28 PM
kbb retail price is $15,200 for the LTD. It sounds like a pretty good deal based on kbb.

If it is NOT a limited, the price would be $12,900. Regardless, you should start your negotiations about $2K lower than book. These days, there appears to be a $4K margin for the dealer built into every trade in price.

NADA low retail is $9150. I would not pay a dime over that. This unit is used and four years old with all the heat problems. I had one and was glad to get rid of it!

Jack

ARtraveler
03-08-2017, 08:06 PM
NADA low retail is $9150. I would not pay a dime over that. This unit is used and four years old with all the heat problems. I had one and was glad to get rid of it!

Jack

It pays to check several books (due diligence). You can also take into account that prices may vary from one part of the country to another. KBB was most convenient for me to do some "fact checking." The prospective buyer should be doing the homework so that he comes up with a price that he thinks is "fair." :thumbup:

ARCTIC
03-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Damn!!! You guys are hard on these ST's!! I've got a 2013 ST Limited that I was considering selling but this must not be the right group of buyers. Mine has had the updated panels since day 1 and I've had really good luck with mine. We've got some miles on it too. I like the fact that the body isn't so bulky and huge. It's got a sporty look to it yet has a good seating position with cruise and a radio. The 1330 might be better but the 990 is very reliable with decent power. It's much better looking than the F3 chassis

ingramwc
03-23-2017, 10:53 AM
I agree with ARCTIC, I have a '13 STS SE5 and I am very happy with it! I rode a F3S at a DEMO Day ride and did not like the foot position. For me with short legs, bad knees, and 2 new hips the foot forward just was not good for me, the STS is a perfect fit. I had the 2014 ST air intake panels installed to correct heat issues. I did have the BAJA-Ron sway bar and billet links installed, which fixed handling issues, since I ride solo all the time I do not see any need to change front shocks.
Which ever Spyder you choose, may you enjoy it and ride safe!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

MelloYelloSpyder
03-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Damn!!! You guys are hard on these ST's!! I've got a 2013 ST Limited that I was considering selling but this must not be the right group of buyers. Mine has had the updated panels since day 1 and I've had really good luck with mine. We've got some miles on it too. I like the fact that the body isn't so bulky and huge. It's got a sporty look to it yet has a good seating position with cruise and a radio. The 1330 might be better but the 990 is very reliable with decent power. It's much better looking than the F3 chassis

Yeah. Don't try to sell in here. You will get people trying to low ball you so bad your head will spin. I too have my 13 STS SM5 up for sale. Two years of riding it and I am just not feeling it. So it sits parked until it is sold. I have it on a tender and fuel is stabilized. I will be changing out the oil once it warms up a bit.

oldwarriorrider
03-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Everyone is really hard on the ST here!! I have a 2013 and the only reason I am considering selling it is to get more storage space because I plan on spending more time on it, for longer distances. It is my first spyder but I have never had any issues with heat or steering problems. Maybe I got one that was built on a Tuesday, not a Monday or Friday. LoL

oldwarriorrider
03-24-2017, 12:20 AM
I agree with ARCTIC, I have a '13 STS SE5 and I am very happy with it! I rode a F3S at a DEMO Day ride and did not like the foot position. For me with short legs, bad knees, and 2 new hips the foot forward just was not good for me, the STS is a perfect fit. I had the 2014 ST air intake panels installed to correct heat issues. I did have the BAJA-Ron sway bar and billet links installed, which fixed handling issues, since I ride solo all the time I do not see any need to change front shocks.
Which ever Spyder you choose, may you enjoy it and ride safe!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I wasn't happy with the F3 riding position either.

oldwarriorrider
03-24-2017, 12:28 AM
I have found a 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited SE5 with 5,900 miles on it. They are selling it for $13,500. Thanks for your help :)

I bought my ST SM5 brand new in 2015 with 3 years of warrany for $12,599 before set-up and delivery, now that I am looking to trade can am keeps sending me emails to value my trade. With 9700 miles and a factory backrest and a new old compound rear tire they say excellent condition trade value is $8500. If you would consider a SM5 you could get into mine a lot cheaper!! Hit me up :thumbup::ohyea:

ARCTIC
03-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Everyone is really hard on the ST here!! I have a 2013 and the only reason I am considering selling it is to get more storage space because I plan on spending more time on it, for longer distances. It is my first spyder but I have never had any issues with heat or steering problems. Maybe I got one that was built on a Tuesday, not a Monday or Friday. LoL
we have the Limited and it has the removable hard bags on the side and I was considering getting a top case for the backrest but I'm not sure I need it and I was uncertain of the appearance. My wife and I rode 4 days through Colorado and all of our luggage was either in the frunk or the saddlebags. :2thumbs:

Kwalsh
03-24-2017, 08:33 PM
I still like the looks of the ST, I am considering getting one

Richardv
03-24-2017, 09:08 PM
I bought my ST SM5 brand new in 2015 with 3 years of warrany for $12,599 before set-up and delivery, now that I am looking to trade can am keeps sending me emails to value my trade. With 9700 miles and a factory backrest and a new old compound rear tire they say excellent condition trade value is $8500. If you would consider a SM5 you could get into mine a lot cheaper!! Hit me up :thumbup::ohyea:

I still like the looks of the ST, I am considering getting one.....look and feel of my ST. I don't like the look nor the handling of an RT, and the seating position of the F3, for me at 6'2" it is not comfortable and tiring to my lower back.

I loved the handling of the RSS, but was getting tired and cramped rapidly because of the forward leaning and pressure applied on the hands and wrists by this position. THEREFORE, the ST is the perfect match for ME. !!! It handles like an RSS, and is comfortable like an RT. As far as the heat issue is concerned, with the 2014 free panels offered by BRP under warranty, there is no such issues. ( sorry Bob, but nothing is melting under there)....!!!! 😂

AND, my full face helmet fits in the frunk.... how can say so ???;) :D :yikes: :yes::ohyea:

newbert
04-19-2017, 07:22 AM
It pays to check several books (due diligence). You can also take into account that prices may vary from one part of the country to another. KBB was most convenient for me to do some "fact checking." The prospective buyer should be doing the homework so that he comes up with a price that he thinks is "fair." :thumbup:

I'm looking to buy my first Spyder and want to make sure that I pay a fair price.

I wasn't aware that either KBB or NADA list motorcycle prices/values...and all I see is car info on their sites. Could you provide a direct link to the KBB and NADA sites you're referring too?

Thanks!

Chgospy
07-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Paid $16,700 for brand new Blue Denim (Matte) 2015 St-Limited came with two year warranty. There was a couple of them still out there. Ebay & cycletrader:doorag:

ARtraveler
07-01-2017, 12:59 PM
I'm looking to buy my first Spyder and want to make sure that I pay a fair price.

I wasn't aware that either KBB or NADA list motorcycle prices/values...and all I see is car info on their sites. Could you provide a direct link to the KBB and NADA sites you're referring too?

Thanks!

www.kbb.com/motorcycle (http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle)

That link should do it for you. :thumbup:

The price you should pay? A good question. I usually start somewhere between trade in- and retail. In most cases, there is a $2K to $4K gap. A lot to play around with--if you know what I mean.

knobby
07-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Paid $16,700 for brand new Blue Denim (Matte) 2015 St-Limited came with two year warranty. There was a couple of them still out there. Ebay & cycletrader:doorag:

That's a great price since the MSRP was around 25K. We found ours in April (2016), up in Detroit (couldn't find any Denim Blue's in Ohio) and it cost us $19,900. Had a '12 RS-S SE5 for a couple years and I added bags and a backrest but it just wasn't comfortable for the long haul. Great for the quick, short rides, but the footpegs and seating position were tiring on the long trips. We certainly didn't like the styling of the new F3's and their frunk space is a joke. Very happy with the '15 STL but it did let us down last week when heading to Skyline Drive. Popped out of gear (or something broke) on an uphill run and that was 'all she wrote'. Super hassle, but we finally got it back to Ohio and it's now at the Dealership service department (we were told that it's still under warranty!).

rkba101
07-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Offer 10k and see what happens. Also check to see if the recall heat panels were put in. This would be a free service but can be a pain if the dealer is not close by.

Local dealer told me that there was no recall for the heat panels for my ST.. They stated only RT ?

Yoda22
07-17-2017, 06:54 AM
After reading some of these replies I feel bad. Just purchased a 2014 ST Ltd for 13400 and felt I made a decent deal however after reading some of these I am begining to wonder. KBB had it listed with a 15800 retail.

r1100rider
07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
yes it's been like that for a while here it started when the RT came out it was always why haven't you ungraded yet then the 1330 and again you must up grade and with every change little glitchs throttle body issues heat gear position sensors belt vibrations my 09 s are rock solid have cables going to the throttle body's and my foot is connected to the tranny I'm just fine with no "up grade" and did I mention my old out dated rs weighs less and out accelerates the new up graded latest and greatest

ARtraveler
07-17-2017, 03:03 PM
After reading some of these replies I feel bad. Just purchased a 2014 ST Ltd for 13400 and felt I made a decent deal however after reading some of these I am begining to wonder. KBB had it listed with a 15800 retail.

KBB shows about a $4K gap between trade-in value and dealer "asking" retail. The "real" price should be somewhere in between--depending on area, dealer, etc.

bscofield84
10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
I just bought a 2014 ST Limited SE5 with 632 miles on it for 15,000. Had to drive 500 miles to get it, but well worth it. List new on it was around 24,000.00

mavrik
10-17-2017, 09:48 AM
I just picked one up also, lots of miles put on already. That price is right in the ball park. Remember when it was new it was 24k approxiamately...that means in 3-4 year you are now getting it for half the price!!!! i don't think you can go wrong with the ST limited except the gps...i think i will be removing mine and mounting my phone instead...the gps is antiquated and will be out of date. Heat issue was a goodwill offering from BRP and helped if you had a dealer that would fight for you.