PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Post & Grommet change for RT - -REVISION

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Well I learned a better way of doing this at 3am today .... a lot of Can-am dealers also sell Sno-mobile's ... and they should have " used " HY-FAX ( umh plastic ) that they throw away. This would be excellent material ( instead of sheet metal ) to pop-rivet onto the Grommet area. Because they are worn there will be thick and thin area's, I trimmed mine with a table saw ..... you can put a piece on the front side or back side .... depending on the length of the screw you use ..... I choose #10 - phillips - PAN head screws ... #8 would work also ....1" to 1 1/2" in length...... you may want to take both the upper and lower panels off to do this ...... remember the front edge of these panels are what need to match, look at the Panels closely before you dis-assemble them ....... Mike :thumbup:

cptjam
03-07-2017, 02:10 PM
I like it, but why do it? Is the removal/installation such a PIA you decided to re-engineer it? The idea is good. I agree, someone not knowing of the change could break it. My first thought was a dummy bolt head, and a strip of Velcro. Or, mod the holes to take a pushpin. Or, a drop of superglue on the grommets so they can't push thru, and a spritz of windex to lube the rubber so the prong can be inserted. I'll be interested in seeing it at homecoming, Mike. Joe

Bob Denman
03-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Didn't a bunch of guys switch over to DZUS fasteners on their GS/RS bikes a bunch of years ago?
Could they be used on the RTs? (Or F3s?) :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-07-2017, 02:56 PM
I like it, but why do it? Is the removal/installation such a PIA you decided to re-engineer it? The idea is good. I agree, someone not knowing of the change could break it. My first thought was a dummy bolt head, and a strip of Velcro. Or, mod the holes to take a pushpin. Or, a drop of superglue on the grommets so they can't push thru, and a spritz of windex to lube the rubber so the prong can be inserted. I'll be interested in seeing it at homecoming, Mike. Joe
I appreciate your in-put on this :clap:... In my initial THREAD, I said for me it was a PIA .... and I stated in BOLD, if you take to a dealer for work REMOVE them before-hand !!! .... Velcro is good - if you can get the ADHESIVE backing to stick as well as the nubs and fur :roflblack: .... I glued my grommets - so that wasn't the issue .... The DRUZ fasteners are a possibility as Bob said ............... maybe Spyderfest first tho :yes::yes::yes:..... Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Would those little square screw anchors that are used for license plates fit in the grommet holes, I wonder? If so, they're readily available at your local hardware store and would be easy to install.

Chupaca
03-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the update on the project "Dump the dummies". You will find that there will be better ways as you venture forth...::clap: