PDA

View Full Version : Knock off or BRP hitch ?

Blackie312001
03-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Just picked up a new Freedom Trailer !! $2300 ... now should I get a BRP Hitch n wiring or a knock off ? Give me ur thoughts please !!

Chupaca
03-03-2017, 02:13 PM
There are now quite a few out there and all seem to work well. I think canamspyderaccesories.com/SpyderTVcom has a great deal on hitches with the wiring. Tell Pierre Gene sent you....it is a choice but the price would be the main thing...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-03-2017, 02:13 PM
:congrats: on the new addition! :clap: :2thumbs:
Do yourself a favor, and get the hitch that was designed for the bike: BRP's!
Ir's a little bit more money, but a whole lot more hitch. nojoke
:nopic: of the trailer? :D

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Just picked up a new Freedom Trailer !! $2300 ... now should I get a BRP Hitch n wiring or a knock off ? Give me ur thoughts please !!
There are almost as many threads here about hitches as oil and tires. Put hitch in the search box and read until your brain goes fuzzy! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
03-03-2017, 02:46 PM
I don't know if it's a big issue for you or not...
Bolting on the BRP hitch will maintain your vehicle's warranty.
(I don't know if that's a thinly-veiled threat or not... but it's worth considering!)

The Bee!!
03-03-2017, 03:31 PM
I too am wonder about the best hitch and wiring for a hitch. I have Bushtec trailer, from what i understand is that the BRP hitch doesn't do well with the different bushtec hitch. And what about the wiring? I also read that BPR wiring doesn't like the set up for bushtec? So looking for recommendations? And what is the difference between a hitch that goes through the axle or attaches to the frame?
Thanks
Teri

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2017, 04:12 PM
I too am wonder about the best hitch and wiring for a hitch. I have Bushtec trailer, from what i understand is that the BRP hitch doesn't do well with the different bushtec hitch. And what about the wiring? I also read that BPR wiring doesn't like the set up for bushtec? So looking for recommendations? And what is the difference between a hitch that goes through the axle or attaches to the frame?
Thanks
Teri
IMHO ....The Bustec design is the best one out there, it is basically a stiff hitch that doesn't allow any slack between the Hitch and the trailer Tongue...... So there is never any snapping back and forth .... this is what causes excessive stress on all the drivetrain components..... In fact the last I heard Honda will VOID your warranty if you attach a Hitch to the drivetrain ...... I have made tow assemblies that use a " TIE-ROD " end from a trk steering rack for all my liteweight trailers ...... Mike :thumbup:

The Bee!!
03-03-2017, 04:15 PM
IMHO ....The Bustec design is the best one out there, it is basically a stiff hitch that doesn't allow any slack between the Hitch and the trailer Tongue...... So there is never any snapping back and forth .... this is what causes excessive stress on all the drivetrain components..... In fact the last I heard Honda will VOID your warranty if you attach a Hitch to the drivetrain ...... I have made tow assemblies that use a " TIE-ROD " end from a trk steering rack for all my liteweight trailers ...... Mike :thumbup:

So, do i get the BRP hitch with the wiring and then get an adapter for the trailer?

Copperman
03-03-2017, 04:43 PM
I say go with the BRP hitch.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2017, 04:56 PM
I don't know if it's a big issue for you or not...
Bolting on the BRP hitch will maintain your vehicle's warranty.
(I don't know if that's a thinly-veiled threat or not... but it's worth considering!)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?102001-Hitch&p=1230333&viewfull=1#post1230333

Lucky
03-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I had the opportunity to see the show chrome hitch and the BRP hitch installed on 2 bikes sitting next to each other. I just liked the looks and substantial feel of the BRP hitch. I found one used on eBay and then went with the Show chrome wiring harness. While it could be a production issue or excessive wear, the installed show chrome hitch was showing some of those small rust spots at the welds. I'm sure there is no impact on its use but just didn't look as nice.

Bob Denman
03-03-2017, 06:04 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?102001-Hitch&p=1230333&viewfull=1#post1230333

But if you have a drivetrain problem? :dontknow:
BRP will make you sweat...
How about an electrical problem from some improvised wiring?
Same thing!

How much is your "Peace of Mind" worth? :D

Blackie312001
03-03-2017, 06:06 PM
I say go with the BRP hitch.
Would I need to take the back wheel off to install the BRO hitch ?

Bob Denman
03-03-2017, 06:09 PM
No. The hitch installation is done "through the existing bolt". :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
03-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Would I need to take the back wheel off to install the BRO hitch ?

No, the hitch has its own axle that goes through the Spyder axle. The BRP hitch goes on and off very easily. Sometimes you may have to coax it off with a rubber mallet but even that is easy.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
But if you have a drivetrain problem? :dontknow:
BRP will make you sweat...
How about an electrical problem from some improvised wiring?
Same thing!

How much is your "Peace of Mind" worth? :D
If BRP can show the improvised wiring caused the failure, you are probably SOL. Same if they can show that a Show Chrome harness, hitch or otherwise, caused the failure.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2017, 07:56 PM
So now that we have heard from the DOOM & GLOOM crowd ..... if anyone has made any purchases from any VENDOR other than BRP ..... according to the aforementioned folks ..... you all need to be shaking in your boots , that your WARRANTY is practically WORTHLESS :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack: ...... Boy that bunch has sure made me feel GREAT :gaah::clap::clap::clap:.... What's really interesting is the Doom & Gloom crowd very often recommends things from the LaMonster garage ...........sort of hypocritical to me ......... Lamont just keep doing what you are doing, I have no BS warranty fears :thumbup:....................... rant over ....... Mike :bbq:

jaherbst
03-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Do yourself a large favor here and buy the BRP Hitch and wiring Harness. You will have far less headaches in the long run. Nothing quite like buying OEM. This site is filled with hitch and wiring problems from people trying after market cheap parts. Then when they install or use it they are asking everyone for help because it does not work properly or in several cases the hitch actually broke.

You get what you pay for. In most cases to get the after market parts to work properly you wind up spending the same as OEM parts plus the grief, frustration and possible divorce! :D

​Jack

Blackie312001
03-03-2017, 09:12 PM
No, the hitch has its own axle that goes through the Spyder axle. The BRP hitch goes on and off very easily. Sometimes you may have to coax it off with a rubber mallet but even that is easy.

Ok .. Now after I purchase the BRP hitch and wiring harness ... I can install the hitch myself .. But what about the wiring module? Has anymore here installed it ? Is it difficult ? Is there a
how to link ?

Yours thoughts again please ....

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Do yourself a large favor here and buy the BRP Hitch and wiring Harness. You will have far less headaches in the long run. Nothing quite like buying OEM. This site is filled with hitch and wiring problems from people trying after market cheap parts. Then when they install or use it they are asking everyone for help because it does not work properly or in several cases the hitch actually broke.

You get what you pay for. In most cases to get the after market parts to work properly you wind up spending the same as OEM parts plus the grief, frustration and possible divorce! :D

​Jack........... So Jack is Super Clamp .....OEM ????? :dontknow:....you seem to love that :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... Mike :bbq:

Mr. Pickels
03-03-2017, 10:25 PM
:congrats: on the new addition! :clap: :2thumbs:
Do yourself a favor, and get the hitch that was designed for the bike: BRP's!
Ir's a little bit more money, but a whole lot more hitch. nojoke
:nopic: of the trailer? :D

:agree:

justcalldon
03-04-2017, 08:15 AM
I like my BRP hitch, it looks good and the extra splash guard helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-04-2017, 08:22 AM
If I'm part of the "Doom & Gloom" club: I nominate Jack for President! :D
Seriously: As an insurance guy, I spend all day thinking about what can go wrong, and how to avoid it. Will a hitch cause a catastrophic component failure on your Spyder? Probably not!
But if something DID happen: wouldn't you want it's resolution to be as trouble-free as possible?

For the record: As of now, I don't have a trailer or hitch. I keep looking and shopping, hoping to find the right combination for when I eventually will need one. That's how I do things: I consider all of the apparent choices carefully, and mull them over in my little pea-brain! :D

Blackie312001
03-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Ok .. Now after I purchase the BRP hitch and wiring harness ... I can install the hitch myself .. But what about the wiring module? Has anymore here installed it ? Is it difficult ? Is there a
how to link ?

Yours thoughts again please ....

Thx

Deer Slayer
03-04-2017, 11:17 AM
I do not wear BRP underware. I did my own wiring with relay isolation unit with battery power. And on the hitch they all work. Do not exceed the BRP recommend pull weight! Now at 32 k miles and no problems. Never use a clamp-on wiring! Go plug and play or do your own with solder connections done correctly.

Firefly
03-04-2017, 12:40 PM
So now that we have heard from the DOOM & GLOOM crowd ..... if anyone has made any purchases from any VENDOR other than BRP ..... according to the aforementioned folks ..... you all need to be shaking in your boots , that your WARRANTY is practically WORTHLESS :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack: ...... Boy that bunch has sure made me feel GREAT :gaah::clap::clap::clap:.... What's really interesting is the Doom & Gloom crowd very often recommends things from the LaMonster garage ...........sort of hypocritical to me ......... Lamont just keep doing what you are doing, I have no BS warranty fears :thumbup:....................... rant over ....... Mike :bbq:

Oh please... stick a sock in it.... ;)
Nothing will outright 'void your warranty' and no one has said that here. What we've said is that you do have bearing/sprocket, etc. related issues that BRP *could* decide not to cover that damage under warranty using the after-market hitch as an excuse. It's a valid concern especially considering some have had bearing and sprocket issues out here.. with and without hitches installed.

If Lamonster Garage, as good as his stuff is, sold a hitch I'd still learn towards the BRP one for the same reasons. This is also probably why he hasn't (and probably won't) release one... the liability would be too great.. if there was a failure things could be catastrophic.... not really the case with aftermarket headlights, pegs, etc....

The Bushtec is a great setup, but ugly as sin.

If someone is hooking to the swingarm, I think the best option is the BRP one. The others I've seen simply are not made as well and may put undo stress in the wrong area. BRP's swingarm hitch was a bit controversial when it came out as many of us felt hooking onto the swingarm was a bad idea. They've proven it can be done and work well.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Oh please... stick a sock in it.... ;)
Nothing will outright 'void your warranty' and no one has said that here. What we've said is that you do have bearing/sprocket, etc. related issues that BRP *could* decide not to cover that damage under warranty using the after-market hitch as an excuse. It's a valid concern especially considering some have had bearing and sprocket issues out here.. with and without hitches installed.

If Lamonster Garage, as good as his stuff is, sold a hitch I'd still learn towards the BRP one for the same reasons. This is also probably why he hasn't (and probably won't) release one... the liability would be too great.. if there was a failure things could be catastrophic.... not really the case with aftermarket headlights, pegs, etc....

The Bushtec is a great setup, but ugly as sin.

If someone is hooking to the swingarm, I think the best option is the BRP one. The others I've seen simply are not made as well and may put undo stress in the wrong area. BRP's swingarm hitch was a bit controversial when it came out as many of us felt hooking onto the swingarm was a bad idea. They've proven it can be done and work well.
Thank you I will after I finish typing this :thumbup: ....... I wrote my post because of my frustration with the very vocal group that espouses the Value and Necessity of going with BRP - PARTS & SERVICE ETC...... TO MAINTAIN WARRANTY ........ and when you look at THEIR LIST OF ..." FARKLES "... half or more are AFTERMARKET stuff which is not BRP - made or AUTHORIZED ........ I will now put that Sock in my mouth.....maybe you should join me.:clap::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack: ...... Mike :thumbup:

MOSESS
03-04-2017, 03:29 PM
I am sitting back and letting the fur fly. I installed the hitch from Pierre and I am very happy with it. and that's all I got to say on that.

Bob Denman
03-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Hey Mike,
Are you going to "take on" Jack and Dan together; or will it be a Tag-Team Match??? :roflblack:
I'm bringing popcorn loaded with bacon grease... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

(Don't forget to cheat... you're 70! :thumbup:

Blackie312001
03-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Just need the hitch n wiring now !!

Bob Denman
03-08-2017, 10:31 AM
:congrats: It looks like a real Beauty! :2thumbs:

easysuper
03-08-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm not part of the Gloom and Doom group and I won't get my pantys in a bunch like some members here do if you disagree with their expertise in all things related to Spyders, but after 4 RTs and 4 BRP hitches later and over 50,000 miles towing a trailer or I should say trailers. What I discovered is that if you do not have the BRP trailer and use the BRP wiring harness you will likely have trouble as the BRP modulator is trying to match up with the non BRP trailer. I have had to replace my BRP harness with a generic harness and have had no trouble with them after thousands of miles of towing. So I would suggest a mix of the two.

KJWEB
03-08-2017, 12:51 PM
I bought the BRP hitch and wiring module for both my 2015 RTL and then again on my 2016 F3T. Why? Simple....it's BRP and if things go wrong it's their worries not mine. Plus, it fits correctly, easy to install, including the wire harness. Nuff said!

I do have at least one accessory from every sponsoring vendor of Spyderlovers. But, when it comes to an accessory that requires wiring if it's not plug and play I wont put it on my Spyder. I have no desire to try and re-engineer this great trike!

BRPcare
03-08-2017, 01:09 PM
If BRP can show the improvised wiring caused the failure, you are probably SOL.
Hey all,
As a general rule, BRP does not "void" warranties. If a warranty claim is made and the issue is shown to not be a manufacturer defect but instead is caused by an aftermarket item or improper installation, it is possible that that specific warranty claim might be denied; it does not
"void" the remainder of your warranty.
Thanks,
Steve

Bob Denman
03-08-2017, 01:13 PM
:D Thanks for clarifying this point! :clap: :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-08-2017, 01:30 PM
It's nice to have BRP confirm what several of us have been saying for the past few years.

Blackie312001
03-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Hey all,
As a general rule, BRP does not "void" warranties. If a warranty claim is made and the issue is shown to not be a manufacturer defect but instead is caused by an aftermarket item or improper installation, it is possible that that specific warranty claim might be denied; it does not
Thanks,
Steve
Thank you BRP'S !!

smurfette
03-08-2017, 07:42 PM
I just got a Freedom Trailer for my '16 RTS SS, and went with the BRP hitch. If for nothing else, it'll give me peace of mind with any potential warranty issues. These machines are too expensive to take that risk, imho

Blackie312001
03-10-2017, 08:30 PM
I just got a Freedom Trailer for my '16 RTS SS, and went with the BRP hitch. If for nothing else, it'll give me peace of mind with any potential warranty issues. These machines are too expensive to take that risk, imho
Anyone no where (address) I send the mail in warranty ?

MOSESS
03-10-2017, 09:42 PM
The Brp hitch and the Unit from Spyder accessories from Pierre I think are equal in quality. He is running a special with the harness at this time.

Blackie312001
03-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Hey all,
Thanks,
Steve
Do u have the address I send the mail in warranty documents in to ?

Mosess01
03-11-2017, 01:28 PM
You send that to your dealer. I had to do the same also watch the dates of coverage .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

michrick
03-11-2017, 05:23 PM
So what I'm hearing is unless you tow a BRP trailer with your BRP hitch and plug and play wiring harness you will have issues. Is this correct

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-11-2017, 06:40 PM
So what I'm hearing is unless you tow a BRP trailer with your BRP hitch and plug and play wiring harness you will have issues. Is this correct
NO!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jaherbst
03-11-2017, 06:49 PM
........... So Jack is Super Clamp .....OEM ????? :dontknow:....you seem to love that :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... Mike :bbq:

Super Clamp was made in CA NA DA. It is a slick method for securing the Spyder to your trailer. Not an OEM part for the Spyder if I read you right.

​Jack

Bob Denman
03-12-2017, 07:54 AM
:shocked::hun:

NO!!!!!!!!!

:agree: But what should be a consideration for anyone who plans of towing, is that an item designed for the bike by the builders of the bike... should probably have FEWER issues. :thumbup:

Deer Slayer
03-12-2017, 09:59 AM

:agree: But what should be a consideration for anyone who plans of towing, is that an item designed for the bike by the builders of the bike... should probably have FEWER issues. :thumbup:
Naw, if one can do it better, then do it. Don't let people drag you down.If a trailer is isolated by relays for each trailer light function, no problem. Nanny has no idea there is a trailer on my RS-S! My trailers, yes two, are isolated by a Goldwing after market relay isolator. No problem on Goldwings in 200,000 miles and no problem on my RS-S in 32,000 miles. Entirely too much bull fodder on here for thread count. Early trailers were on GS/RS units. For the life of me, I don't know why BRP did not use a 5 wire trailer? Why have a 5 wire Spyder and a 4 wire trailer? If the trailer is 5 wire, then no converter is required. However with a computer controled cycle you must have electrical isolation to prevent arching into the computer.

Deer Slayer
03-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Hey all,
Thanks,
Steve
Why did you use a 4 wire trailer on a 5 wire Spyder? Thanks in advance, Bill. W4eh@aol.com

Bob Denman
03-12-2017, 11:05 AM
I might be wrong... but didn't their 2010 setup originally include back-up lights?:dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Electricity is universal. It doesn't care what brand of vehicle it's flowing in! :D If the components that control its flow are designed properly then it makes no difference what vehicle they are in, or who made them. I think the early BRP modules were a proprietary design that didn't conform to normal trailer wiring systems and weren't electrically rugged enough. The newer module is a third party, Hopkins it has been said, standard module that is made to operate with anyone's properly configured trailer. Any reputable trailer will be wired properly. Based on problems reported here reputable does not include the little Harbor Freight trailers! :banghead: All the lights need to have their ground leads connected to the ground wire in the connector plug. In fact I've never had a lick of problem with the lights on my trailer and they aren't connected to the trailer frame at all.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I might be wrong... but didn't their 2010 setup originally include back-up lights?:dontknow:
It might have. There is no user manual for the 2010 trailer on the BRP website. The earliest is for the 2011 trailer and it shows the trailer as being only a 4 wire system, hence combined turn/stop lights and no backup lights.

Bob Denman
03-12-2017, 05:09 PM
The operative part of that quote is, "should probably have". :D

michrick
03-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Ok this may sound stupid but who is Pierre? Secondly I used to pull a trailer behind my Victory it was a 5 flat, I've just retired it back to 4 flat I hope my new 2016 RT Limited will work properly with the BRP wiring set up. If not I will have to try something different.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Ok this may sound stupid but who is Pierre? Secondly I used to pull a trailer behind my Victory it was a 5 flat, I've just retired it back to 4 flat I hope my new 2016 RT Limited will work properly with the BRP wiring set up. If not I will have to try something different.
You shouldn't have any issues with the trailer connected to the RT. You'll need to get or make a 4 square to 4 flat adapter. The easiest way is to cut the 4 flat in two and tape one half above the other and plug it in!

Pierre is SpyderTV. I don't remember what his accessories business name is and I can't find a link right off the bat. He's in Canada.

michrick
03-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Thanks much

IGETAROUND
03-12-2017, 10:08 PM
However with a computer controlled cycle you must have electrical isolation to prevent arching into the computer.

I'm confused; where is all the electrical arching coming from with a trailer?????

Al

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-12-2017, 11:54 PM
However with a computer controlled cycle you must have electrical isolation to prevent arching into the computer.

I'm confused; where is all the electrical arching coming from with a trailer?????

Al
You probably already know this but I read this as a case of the words not conveying the intended meaning. I think he's referring to surges. Apparently the earlier Can Am isolators were sensitive to surges in the ground circuit of the trailer lights if the ground path, or part of it, was made through the tongue and hitch ball contact.

I don't know how vulnerable systems are on other bikes like the Goldwing, but I maintain we need to be careful with the Spyder. The turn signal power comes directly from the cluster with no fuse or other protection in the circuit. If you connect trailer light wiring directly to the bike turn signal wiring you create the possibility of mucking up the cluster. If the turn signal wires on the trailer short out you could, maybe, damage the cluster. That would be a multi hundred dollar repair. You also could strand yourself in the middle of the dessert, or city, or wherever if your cluster goes south. An isolator only pulls enough current from the turn signal wires to activate a relay which sends power from the battery to the trailer lights. If you have a disaster with the trailer wiring the isolator prevents damaging the bike circuits. As for brake and tail lights a short in the trailer won't kill the fuse protecting your bike lights if you have an isolator in the circuit.

The isolator is insurance against unknown failure modes and restricts trailer electrical disasters to the trailer.

Deer Slayer
03-13-2017, 08:26 AM

Al
I will try one more time. If the wiring on the trailer should be come frayed and arc to ground, this is called electrical noise. This is what shorts out components in the converter on a Spyder. The idea is to open the circuit fuse and not take out the the circuit. The isolator I use is powered directly from the battery with a master fuse, and each trailer wire has a fuse. THIS IS TOTAL ISOLATION! This is about the best I can do for those of you that do not have an electronic background or just trying to up your thread count.

Deer Slayer
03-13-2017, 08:27 AM
You probably already know this but I read this as a case of the words not conveying the intended meaning. I think he's referring to surges. Apparently the earlier Can Am isolators were sensitive to surges in the ground circuit of the trailer lights if the ground path, or part of it, was made through the tongue and hitch ball contact.

I don't know how vulnerable systems are on other bikes like the Goldwing, but I maintain we need to be careful with the Spyder. The turn signal power comes directly from the cluster with no fuse or other protection in the circuit. If you connect trailer light wiring directly to the bike turn signal wiring you create the possibility of mucking up the cluster. If the turn signal wires on the trailer short out you could, maybe, damage the cluster. That would be a multi hundred dollar repair. You also could strand yourself in the middle of the dessert, or city, or wherever if your cluster goes south. An isolator only pulls enough current from the turn signal wires to activate a relay which sends power from the battery to the trailer lights. If you have a disaster with the trailer wiring the isolator prevents damaging the bike circuits. As for brake and tail lights a short in the trailer won't kill the fuse protecting your bike lights if you have an isolator in the circuit.

The isolator is insurance against unknown failure modes and restricts trailer electrical disasters to the trailer.
Thank you, Bill...

michrick
03-13-2017, 08:48 AM
I would hope the BRP product would avoid that happening my Yamaha Venture and Victory Cross Country used the happy isolator, no issues plulling the same trailer. If the BRP product dosent prevent any back feed what reason would we use it? I just purchased a 2016 leftover RT Limited and I'm waiting on the BRP hitch and plug and play electrical to come in now I'm on the fence as to what to do

michrick
03-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Last thing I want to do is burn up the Peter, sounds to me that BRP is trying you make you buy a RT622 or a Freedom trailer?

billybovine
03-13-2017, 09:27 AM
I would hope the BRP product would avoid that happening my Yamaha Venture and Victory Cross Country used the happy isolator, no issues plulling the same trailer. If the BRP product dosent prevent any back feed what reason would we use it? I just purchased a 2016 leftover RT Limited and I'm waiting on the BRP hitch and plug and play electrical to come in now I'm on the fence as to what to do

BRP uses the Hoppy Circuit Guardian isolator.

michrick
03-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Great so I should be all set

IGETAROUND
03-13-2017, 09:53 AM
billybovine wrote:

OK, if this is the case when you look at the information on that isolator it says that it's re settable and multiple use for more than one instance of a short occurring.

Now having said this, why are there multiple instances of individuals on this forum replacing their isolators multiple times??? I'm easily confused about things electric.:opps::opps::opps:

Al

billybovine
03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
billybovine wrote:

OK, if this is the case when you look at the information on that isolator it says that it's re settable and multiple use for more than one instance of a short occurring.

Now having said this, why are there multiple instances of individuals on this forum replacing their isolators multiple times??? I'm easily confused about things electric.:opps::opps::opps:

Al

It has an automatic self reset function. A short in the trailer is not going to cause any harm to the unit. The fuse will blow protecting it. Fix the short and replace the fuse no harm done.

In the cases that people have complained that they have burnt out their isolator and it has been blamed on the trailer wiring. The fuse is still intact. The problem is not a short. The problem is a bad intermittent connection. It does not matter if it is a BRP trailer or aftermarket. It can happen on the ground or the power side of the circuit. The electronics in the isolator cannot stand up to being turned on and off hundreds of times per second as the trailer bounces down the road. You have probably followed a trailer down the road with its' lights flickering. That's what kills the isolator module.

pegasus1300
03-13-2017, 12:17 PM

His accessory outlet is www.canamspyderaccessories.com.
Pierre is SpyderTV.net and Can Am Spyder Accessories. They are in Canada but he comes down here to many of the Spyder events. He was at Red Rocks last year and I think he is coming back again this year.

Blackie312001
03-21-2017, 08:41 PM
His accessory outlet is www.canamspyderaccessories.com.
Pierre is SpyderTV.net and Can Am Spyder Accessories. They are in Canada but he comes down here to many of the Spyder events. He was at Red Rocks last year and I think he is coming back again this year.

Hitch and control module on its way from BRP ... Hitch will be no problem .. Little worried about the wiring .. Going to attempt myself .. And videos ? Installation manuals out there ? I have a 2015 RTS trailer is a 2015 Freedom trailer

Send links !!!

Blackie312001
03-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Hitch and control module on its way from BRP ... Hitch will be no problem .. Little worried about the wiring .. Going to attempt myself .. And videos ? Installation manuals out there ? I have a 2015 RTS trailer is a 2015 Freedom trailer

Send links !!!
Hitch n module just arrived .. whoa instructions look horrible !!

Blackie312001
03-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Hitch n module just arrived .. whoa instructions look horrible !!

Installed my hitch n control module on my 2015 RTS

Not difficult at all ... 2.5 hrs and I had never removed Tupperware before .

Whew !! Lol

BlueKnight
03-30-2017, 01:43 PM
I bought an aftermarket hitch off eBay for my 2011 RT Limited, bolted on exactly like the OEM hitch and was removable like the OEM hitch, cost half the price. Also bought an aftermarket tail light converter and wired it to OEM connectors from Tricled so it was all plug and play NO splicing (hate cutting into the harness). Wired it to a standard 4 pin to hook up to a Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer and no problems, I did have to change the lights on the trailer to LED's.