PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist caution

Kwalsh
03-01-2017, 07:42 PM
So I have been trying to sell my spyder so I can upgrade and I keep getting calls and emails wanting to know my address so they can look at bike, when I tell them I will meet them in public place they never contact me again.

be cautious who you give your info to because I am not sure if they want to steal my bike or rob my house

Deanna777
03-01-2017, 07:48 PM
So I have been trying to sell my spyder so I can upgrade and I keep getting calls and emails wanting to know my address so they can look at bike, when I tell them I will meet them in public place they never contact me again.

be cautious who you give your info to because I am not sure if they want to steal my bike or rob my houseThanks for the info. Deanna

rcturner
03-01-2017, 07:52 PM
:agree::agree: Good words of caution. You never know what you will run into with internet shoppers.

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 08:34 PM
Craigslist seems to have a whole lot of problems when it comes to getting ripped off. Your cautions are right.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-01-2017, 09:14 PM
When I sold my 2013 RT the guy who called left a message with his name and number. I did a Google search on it and learned he was a local plumbing contractor. Then I called him back. He bought it with cash on the table!

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-01-2017, 09:56 PM
This is not just Craigslist ...... the entire buy - sell using Ads thing - in the world we now live in, has become something to be very careful when doing. Un-fortunately there are more and more dis-honest people out there and less and less honest ones ...... Do diligence is mandatory - it is definitely more prevalent on the FREE sites than the PAY FOR sites but that is not a guarantee........ X-Leo speaking, watch yourselves , please ...... Mike :thumbup:

Sarge707
03-01-2017, 09:59 PM
I made:clap: it clear in my add that Deal is cash at my local bank ONLY and Title plateswap occurs there? But I took my RT off the For Sale block Because I love the 5 Speed as Much as I love my F3-So I'll keep BOTH!!!:yes:

Mexican
03-01-2017, 10:37 PM
I have bought and sold many things on CL, from cars to motorcycles, in fact i just bought one a few weeks ago, i am very careful but unlike most people, if the seller wants to meet me at a different place than his house i will not do it, to me that raises a flag and tells me that the seller wants to sell me a bad product and he don't want to be found later, never been burned, (yet), i am one of the very few people that still has faith in humankind:):doorag:

Chupaca
03-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Consignment....the only other way to go. Although here they have opened a place next to the police station where folks can do their transactions safely. :clap:

Kwalsh
03-02-2017, 11:00 AM
after 2 more scam emails i came to the conclusion that i do not need craigslist, took bike off and will see what i can do for trade, I am also going to leave up on here and see how it goes.
the nice part about closed forums is no spammers

Firefly
03-02-2017, 01:05 PM
I have bought and sold many things on CL, from cars to motorcycles, in fact i just bought one a few weeks ago, i am very careful but unlike most people, if the seller wants to meet me at a different place than his house i will not do it, to me that raises a flag and tells me that the seller wants to sell me a bad product and he don't want to be found later, never been burned, (yet), i am one of the very few people that still has faith in humankind:):doorag:

Meeting in a public place is best for the safety of the buyer and the seller. There's no need to 'find the seller later' because you really have no recourse... once you buy it.. it's yours.

Bob Denman
03-02-2017, 01:08 PM
...And once you sell it: it's theirs. :thumbup:
(As long as the check clears! :shocked:)

MelloYelloSpyder
03-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Consignment....the only other way to go. Although here they have opened a place next to the police station where folks can do their transactions safely. :clap:
Who does consignment on motorcycles??

Bob Denman
03-02-2017, 03:06 PM
A lot of dealers will; you have to ask... :thumbup:

Tazzel
03-02-2017, 03:12 PM

I have also sold vehicles and motorcycles on CL, as a safety practice I never ever have them meet me at my address!!!!

I also take their drivers license if they take it for a test drive. If they don't agree, then say bye bye.

Tazzel
03-02-2017, 03:14 PM
...And once you sell it: it's theirs. :thumbup:
(As long as the check clears! :shocked:)

Once the sell is agreed on, either take cash or meet at their banking location for transaction.

Knarfoh
03-02-2017, 04:39 PM
after 2 more scam emails i came to the conclusion that i do not need craigslist, took bike off and will see what i can do for trade, I am also going to leave up on here and see how it goes.

Someone must fall for these scams else they wouldn't keep trying. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I use gmail account for my email contact. One that I can simply get rid of if I choose and NEVER my actual, personal email account.

I also use Hangouts or Google Voice to talk to them or text from without disclosing your personal phone number.. A number you can get rid of and NEVER my actual home phone number or personal cellphone number.

NO CHECKS, just cash or we do the transaction at their BANK locally. I have the Bank write the check to me, not the person. Plus we need vehicle title notarized anyway so why not at their Bank. And if they bring cash, we meet at my Bank for the same reason. CASH goes right into my account and title gets witnessed and notarized.

Scammers stop trying once they know the ground rules and only interested people stay in contact. Of course, the lowballers are out there trying to get something for a LOT less then the item is worth, but make sure they know upfront what the rules are and most will leave you alone. Unfortunately, takes some screening and valuable time to sell large ticket items safely on Craigslist Trade-in to a dealer? Only advantage is avoiding the scammers, but that will cost you thousands. But if it gets you peace of mind, it might be worth it.

Mr. Pickels
03-02-2017, 06:21 PM
This is not just Craigslist ...... the entire buy - sell using Ads thing - in the world we now live in, has become something to be very careful when doing. Un-fortunately there are more and more dis-honest people out there and less and less honest ones ...... Do diligence is mandatory - it is definitely more prevalent on the FREE sites than the PAY FOR sites but that is not a guarantee........ X-Leo speaking, watch yourselves , please ...... Mike :thumbup:

I'll second that!

Deanna777
03-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Everyone be care out there when selling/or buying anything...............please!

Deanna

Mexican
03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
AFTER SEEING ALL THESE POSTS I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL FOR SURE!!:shocked::shocked::yikes:

Joerolwing
03-02-2017, 08:48 PM

be cautious who you give your info to because I am not sure if they want to steal my bike or rob my house

Ive had a bike on CL twice this past year, and I've had contacts from to different women who ask vague, minor questions, and a couple emails later, they ask if I have a CarFax type report. When I tell them no, they suggest a particular report that is cheaper than CarFax. I fell for it the first time, and once you have the report you don't hear from them again. I complained to this report company and they refunded my payment.

ruralgirl
03-02-2017, 10:57 PM
I've bought and sold many things thru CL with nary a problem, but I think certain types of items bring more risk than others. In my case, we can't meet off the farms because we're buying or selling large equipment or livestock. My buyers and sellers have always been the epitome of friendliness and, as has always turned out so far, honesty. But maybe that's just more common among that particular market.

Taking precautions is always wise, however, and I'm sure licensed vehicles or expensive jewelry, e.g., are more prone to risks. As a CL seller, I've had frequent scammers email me, but they're so transparent, it's comical. And one seller was so suspicious that a little googling on my part easily proved that the "famous" horse she was selling wasn't even close to who she claimed he was. So, just being alert on CL can help keep you safe.

WackyDan
03-03-2017, 12:43 AM
I've sold stuff via Craigslist. Yes, I get the emails and txt messages from scammers and those are easy and obvious to weed out. I then get the dreamers who will talk my ear off, but they are just window shopping.

I then get the low ballers who are trying to get a good deal, but still don't seem to have the $$$ to buy the damn thing. I had one guy who told me he was a little short and could sell a gun to his buddy to make up the difference. Bottom line... If he didn't have the money then he shouldn't be looking to buy a $10,000 trailer.

I don't have a problem with someone coming to the house once I talk to them a bit on the phone. With selling my toy hauler, it kinda had to happen that way. I have enough neighbors around and security cameras outside. The house is locked up and I'm armed anyway.

To be honest, you don't have much to worry about in selling something versus buying it. I'd worry more about carrying a large amount of cash to a strangers house than having someone bring a lot of cash to my house to buy something.

Doesn't hurt to be careful though.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
03-03-2017, 07:51 AM
when i sold my yamaha last year i listed phone & address of my store because i didn't want anyone to come to the house.
if i didn't have this place i would have them meet in public place & would bring a friend and would take video of them &
their car they come in