PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, new Spyder owner here!

Jeronimo
03-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Hello all! Just this past Saturday I picked up a new to me 2009 Spyder with 24k on the clock and I am mostly pleased with the results. The short story is that I rented a trailer with the intent to haul the machine from Yakima WA to Spokane WA. Thinking that a machince 5' wide would fit on a trailer 6' wide made perfect sense at the time, but due to a circus involving multiple uhaul stores :banghead: and time becoming a issue I failed to measure the actual opening that the drop down ramp covered. I discovered the opening was less than 5' upon the attempt to load the machine, again :banghead:. I had a window of clear dry weather and accommodating road conditions, so the best alternative was to drive the 200 miles back to Spokane, on the Spyder, while my wife drove the truck pulling the trailer, back to Spokane. Fortunately, I thought to bring my foul weather gear- standard issue Alaska riding gear that is, for I am a recent transplant. It made the 32*F ride comfortable with exception to the lack of heated grips. Before departure I instructed my wife to stop at EVERY Rest Stop along the way so that I could thaw my hands. What a life saver that was, The gloves I wore, thought they were my snowmobiling gloves, were only thinly insulated and low wristers, also they were designed for use with heated grips. Basically they were great wind breakers.

As for the Spyder. I had driven one only once before and it was a dealer test drive at low speed around a silly little cone marked course in a parking lot, what I got most out of it was the different riding positions between the RSS and the RT, 2013my. Hardly informative to the nature of the beast, so to speak, but I did have a very good preconception of the handling dynamics and familiarity with the driver position. Anyone who has experience riding snowmobiles knows exactly what I mean, the similarities are many and I was instantly comfortable once I was on the road.

The handling is very predictable, the ride very smooth and comfortable- the Ultimate seat the previous owner had installed was easy on my back side- I was very happy with the lack of vibration overall and especially at how little there was transmitted to the handle bars. The power was smooth and responsive, fuel economy was 35mpg+- as expected. Now, due to all of the delays with the aforementioned trailer, we were already behind the clock.

As darkness fell I noticed that the headlights were poorly aimed, low and left :gaah:, so much so that I had no time to adjust course if an obstacle, or pothole, was in my path. I was also disappointed with the intensity of the beam. Fortunately, I arrived home without incident due to poor headlights.

I did notice a thread regarding headlights and an LED replacement option, but I did not see a solution as to how to actually install the LED's. I removed the necessary parts to gain access to the headlight bulbs and housings in order to adjust them, in doing so I noticed two things; 1) I could only see 1 adjustment screw - for horizontal movement - I could not find a vertical adjustment. Am I missing it, or does it not exist? 2) looking at the bulb and retainers and comparing them to what I see online http://www.xenondepot.com/H7-Xtreme-LED-kit-p/xt-led-h7.htm I do not see how one could properly mount the new LED system. Any solutions out there for this?

Another issue I have is with the mirrors, all I can see with the mirrors are my XXXL hands with the mirrors at maximum adjustment. Is there an alternative mounting location and replacement option, or an extension available for stock mirrors?

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to being part of the Spyder community.

Chupaca
03-01-2017, 12:41 PM
144229To both the spyder world and this wonderful site...congrats on the new ryde...:2thumbs: As for the mirrors there are some adapters that move them up and out so you can see behind you. Check our vendors or online Ebay etc. As for the lights you only have the up and down adjustment. Check that the housings are not loose or out in any way. Nice start to your spyder experience...at least the ryding part....

Bob Denman
03-01-2017, 12:42 PM
:welcome::clap:
Aren't trailers fun?? :D
I'm glad to hear that you got the bike home; now you can go about making it perfect for YOU!! :thumbup:
And don't forget to brush your teeth after each ride! :D

Roadster Renovations
03-01-2017, 12:50 PM
:welcome::congrats: on the new ryde!

We have some Blind Spot Mirrors that work pretty well. Can be installed in several locations. I have mine in the upper inside of the mirror. That is a blind area in the mirror for me.

Use a big computer to view.

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/products

dpetrick
03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
I also purchased a 2009 RS SE5 last October. Rode it 100 mile home on a cold windy day. with occasional light rain. I also have a Kawasaki Nomad, so had warm gear. I only got a few rides in before putting it away for the winter. I am looking forward to spring. Enjoy the Spyder, and great to see another 2009 rider on the forum.

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 02:04 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the 2009 RS. Glad you made it home safely. I ended up putting those small blind spot mirrors on both my 2008 and 2009 and they worked well for me. At least, I did not have to look at my hands all the time. :yes:

Cavman
03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the Spyder world!
Check to see if Lamonster has LED replacements for your headlights? I just installed a set in my RTS and they are great.

SPYD3R
03-01-2017, 03:24 PM
you should have called me.... i would have come over with my trailer to help you out..... oh well, water under the bridge....
all you need to do now is RIDE LIKE YOU STOLE IT, but be safe doing so....
WELCOME to your new life....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R