PDA

View Full Version : Fall Trip 2017 to Utah, looking for recommendations -----------

spydaman60
02-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Leaving New Jersey for Red Rock Spyder Rally in September, right after Spyderquest, with the RV and Spyder "in tow". Need recommendations on routes (less mountainous) if possible, as wife doesn't like riding the RV on mountainous roads. Also need recommendations on campgrounds, National Parks to visit, and time needed for each park! Great eatery information, on the way out and back, will also be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Chuck and Carol

SPYD3R
02-28-2017, 05:11 PM
head south on 81, 77, 26, then west on 64... or head further south on 26 to 25, and find you way to either 82 or 84 via 221... all 3 head west, and all are AWESOME rides...
which ever way you go, go safely and enjoy....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Joerolwing
02-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Leaving New Jersey for Red Rock Spyder Rally in September, right after Spyderquest, with the RV and Spyder "in tow". Need recommendations on routes (less mountainous) if possible, as wife doesn't like riding the RV on mountainous roads. Also need recommendations on campgrounds, National Parks to visit, and time needed for each park! Great eatery information, on the way out and back, will also be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Chuck and Carol

Bonneville Speed Week-August 12-17 if want to leave early. I was there last year and was well worth the time. Flaming Gorge in NE Utah was a nice trip.

Scotts8826
02-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Take I-70 west. Your wife will have no problem driving through Kansas.

armyspydervet
02-28-2017, 07:05 PM
STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALD'S!!!:roflblack:

Brentc
02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
If you pass through this neck of the woods, I can arrange for one nice meal!

RykerUSA
02-28-2017, 08:30 PM
Burr trail!!

oldgoat
03-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Burr trail!!

I would be scared stiff on my Spyder. But it is magnificent.

PrairieSpyder
03-01-2017, 10:04 AM
I toured the national parks in Utah last year on the way to Red Rocks. I had lodging reserved ahead of time, but in one place I wanted to stay two nights and had to change hotels because neither had two nights open. So I'd say to plan and reserve your Utah lodging well ahead for your travels to and from the rally.

Highwayman2013
03-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Take I-70 west. Your wife will have no problem driving through Kansas.

Until they get to Denver.

Highwayman2013
03-01-2017, 10:10 AM

I did I-81 to I-40 when I came out with the moving truck. It will be great to see you here and I hope you can come to Las Vegas.

spydaman60
03-01-2017, 02:25 PM
STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALD'S!!!:roflblack: was planning on hitting the one we hit on the way to spyderfest Chris!

armyspydervet
03-01-2017, 03:14 PM
was planning on hitting the one we hit on the way to spyderfest Chris!

Which one? I think we hit all of them!!! Do not stop for gas in WV...lesson learned.

Cavman
03-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Check to see if you can get a pass to the national parks. $10 for life time senior pass. Lifetime Access Pass is free for all ages for handicapped persons. Otherwise it's about $80 a year for everyone else. Just to cut thru Zion NP in southern Utah is $45 one way!

Pickup a copy of the Trailerlife Campground Directory at a Camping World for your camping needs. They are also online. The book is great when you are where there is no internet service.

Hope this helps?

oldgoat
03-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Utah is mine & wifey's favourite state to visit.

A few miles north of Moab is a left turn up to Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands NP both with magnificent views.

Just north of Moab is Arches NP - not to be missed.

Just before you get to Arches NP is a right turn which takes you along the Colorado river where you can turn off to see Castle Rock.

Bryce NP. Zion NP + Kolob Canyon. Monument Valley. Cedar Breaks NP followed by the Nebo Loop.

The list is endless & we aren't tired of visiting almost every year for 26 years.

cognaccruiser
03-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Utah is mine & wifey's favourite state to visit.

A few miles north of Moab is a left turn up to Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands NP both with magnificent views.

Just north of Moab is Arches NP - not to be missed.

Just before you get to Arches NP is a right turn which takes you along the Colorado river where you can turn off to see Castle Rock.

Bryce NP. Zion NP + Kolob Canyon. Monument Valley. Cedar Breaks NP followed by the Nebo Loop.

The list is endless & we aren't tired of visiting almost every year for 26 years.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty much done all the same routes. I don't think there are any bad roads/highways in Utah.

Gary

Trbayth
03-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Which one? I think we hit all of them!!! Do not stop for gas in WV...lesson learned.

I'm still having nightmares about that gas station.

Copperman
03-01-2017, 07:43 PM
I'm still having nightmares about that gas station.

It sounds like there's a story in there we'd all like to enjoy. Who's going to tell it?

oldgoat
03-01-2017, 07:55 PM
North from Monument Valley to Mexican Hat then to Goosenecks State Park to overlook "The Great Goosenecks of the San Juan River"

Carry on up the Moki Dugway (with care, maybe leaving the RV behind) then at the top taking a left to Muley Point, a little known amazing viewpoint up a packed sandy road.

Then on to Natural Bridges SP

Then a wonderful drive up to Hanksville & over to Torrey. Magnificent rock formations.

South from Torrey to Bryce NP, passing the road to the Burr Trail - leave the RV & go on the Burr Trail on the Spyder. You won't forget it in a hurry - it is paved as far as the Waterpocket Fold.

That should keep you busy for a while.

armyspydervet
03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
It sounds like there's a story in there we'd all like to enjoy. Who's going to tell it?

On the way to Spyderfest we stopped at a gas station in West Virginia. Was in the middle of nowhere and wasn't a heavily visited station by outsiders, but we needed gas BECAUSE THOSE WITH A 998 NEEDED TO STOP MORE OFTEN :roflblack:

Anyway, half the pumps would not work properly...you put in your credit card and it would take five minutes to get $1.00 worth of gas. While we were playing musical pumps trying to find one that worked, "locals" started coming out of no where...just like in Deliverance. :opps: Kept asking to sit on the Spyders and telling us how "perty" they were.

Needles to say, we got the hell out of dodge!

pegasus1300
03-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Leaving New Jersey for Red Rock Spyder Rally in September, right after Spyderquest, with the RV and Spyder "in tow". Need recommendations on routes (less mountainous) if possible, as wife doesn't like riding the RV on mountainous roads. Also need recommendations on campgrounds, National Parks to visit, and time needed for each park! Great eatery information, on the way out and back, will also be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Chuck and Carol To stay out of the mountains as much as possible I would come West on I 40 to Albuquerque the head north out of there to Gallup and Cortez. That will put you near Mesa Verde then go to Monticello pick up 191 north to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands. From there head west on I70. Stop for lunch in Green River at Ray's Tavern. You have to get off the freeway and go into town but well worth it. Best burgers and steaks around. At Cove Fort (worth a stop) go South on I15 to St.George. Stop in Cedar City for some of the best BBQ at Sonny Boy's. Cedar is worth spending time in for all the Shakespeare stuff. Or park the RV and head east out of Cedar for Cedar Breaks NM. Or come a little south and see Kolob Canyon NM. At the top you can see into the backside of Zion's. Beautiful little Spyder ride. Some of this stuff will be on the agenda at the rally but there is so much you can't see it all so going to some before wont ruin the rally for you.
Hope that gives you some ideas.

If you go south out of Monticello and come thru Kanab stop at Nedra's for lunch. back in the day all the movie stars making westerns ate there. Great drive but much more mountains that way.

SPYD3R
03-01-2017, 08:31 PM
UTAH is AWESOME....
it's a MUST to ride Rt. 12... it's known as AMERICA'S MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY and it truly is... stop in Boulder, UT at Hell's Backbone Grill for lunch... http://hellsbackbonegrill.com i can't believe how such a wonderful place is out in the middle of 'NOWHERE'....
I've ridden Rt. 12 3 times, and i'll ride it again when in Utah...
Dan P
SPYD3R

Highwayman2013
03-01-2017, 09:16 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/a89b62e0515059aae9c5a72246571187.jpgValley of Fire State Park in Nevada and Snow Canyon State Park in Utah.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/0346cb6d9b9e5db8729edc5dc26f7ea8.jpg

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-01-2017, 10:16 PM
You can never know what you just might find in the rocks out there, even in Nevada!

Trbayth
03-02-2017, 08:33 PM
On the way to Spyderfest we stopped at a gas station in West Virginia. Was in the middle of nowhere and wasn't a heavily visited station by outsiders, but we needed gas BECAUSE THOSE WITH A 998 NEEDED TO STOP MORE OFTEN :roflblack:

Anyway, half the pumps would not work properly...you put in your credit card and it would take five minutes to get $1.00 worth of gas. While we were playing musical pumps trying to find one that worked, "locals" started coming out of no where...just like in Deliverance. :opps: Kept asking to sit on the Spyders and telling us how "perty" they were.

Needles to say, we got the hell out of dodge!

And the reason none of the pumps worked with a credit card is they wanted you to come into the store, tell them how much gas you were going to buy, then pre-pay for it and come back for a refund if you bought less (which they hoped most people wouldn't bother for a dollar or two.) I bet they made a killing on killing on that.

SPYD3R
03-02-2017, 09:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/a89b62e0515059aae9c5a72246571187.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/0346cb6d9b9e5db8729edc5dc26f7ea8.jpg

NICE PIX..... BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THESE WERE TAKEN..... WERE YOU IN AUSTRALIA, ITALY, ROCKIES.....??? where>?

PrairieSpyder
03-02-2017, 09:12 PM
To stay out of the mountains as much as possible I would come West on I 40 to Albuquerque the head north out of there to Gallup and Cortez. That will put you near Mesa Verde then go to Monticello pick up 191 north to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands. From there head west on I70. Stop for lunch in Green River at Ray's Tavern. You have to get off the freeway and go into town but well worth it. Best burgers and steaks around. At Cove Fort (worth a stop) go South on I15 to St.George. Stop in Cedar City for some of the best BBQ at Sonny Boy's. Cedar is worth spending time in for all the Shakespeare stuff. Or park the RV and head east out of Cedar for Cedar Breaks NM. Or come a little south and see Kolob Canyon NM. At the top you can see into the backside of Zion's. Beautiful little Spyder ride. Some of this stuff will be on the agenda at the rally but there is so much you can't see it all so going to some before wont ruin the rally for you.

If you go south out of Monticello and come thru Kanab stop at Nedra's for lunch. back in the day all the movie stars making westerns ate there. Great drive but much more mountains that way.

What's wrong with the mountains? They're beautiful to ryde through.

Utah Geezer
03-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Avoid I-70 if you don't like the mountains. It is very mountainous in Colorado and eastern Utah all the way to I-15. I have traveled east from St. George Utah many, many times and If you want a flat easy ride in the RV pulling the Spyder you will want to take I-80 to Utah and then make your way south to St. George via I-15.

See ya at Red Rocks. You will enjoy the area here with all our National Parks and scenic rides. Zion's National Park, Bryce Canyon, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Snow Park State Park, and much much more.

Take I-80 west all the way. Easiest and least construction and tolls. I do it all the time going to colorado.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-02-2017, 11:02 PM
What's wrong with the mountains? They're beautiful to ryde through.
The OP's wife doesn't like riding in the RV on mountain roads. They're towing the Spyder. See the Post #1.

Highwayman2013
03-02-2017, 11:22 PM
NICE PIX..... BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THESE WERE TAKEN..... WERE YOU IN AUSTRALIA, ITALY, ROCKIES.....??? where>?

1 Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, a ride from St. George, Utah at the Red Rock Rally.

2 Snow Canyon State Park in Utah, another ride at the Red Rock rally. ( Sorry forgot to label.)

Utah Geezer
03-03-2017, 07:16 PM
How could I have forgotten the Valley of Fire.

1 Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, a ride from St. George, Utah at the Red Rock Rally.

2 Snow Canyon State Park in Utah, another ride at the Red Rock rally. ( Sorry forgot to label.)

spydaman60
03-06-2017, 08:33 PM
To stay out of the mountains as much as possible I would come West on I 40 to Albuquerque the head north out of there to Gallup and Cortez. That will put you near Mesa Verde then go to Monticello pick up 191 north to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands. From there head west on I70. Stop for lunch in Green River at Ray's Tavern. You have to get off the freeway and go into town but well worth it. Best burgers and steaks around. At Cove Fort (worth a stop) go South on I15 to St.George. Stop in Cedar City for some of the best BBQ at Sonny Boy's. Cedar is worth spending time in for all the Shakespeare stuff. Or park the RV and head east out of Cedar for Cedar Breaks NM. Or come a little south and see Kolob Canyon NM. At the top you can see into the backside of Zion's. Beautiful little Spyder ride. Some of this stuff will be on the agenda at the rally but there is so much you can't see it all so going to some before wont ruin the rally for you.

If you go south out of Monticello and come thru Kanab stop at Nedra's for lunch. back in the day all the movie stars making westerns ate there. Great drive but much more mountains that way.thanks for the food stops. we love to try new and great places!!:2thumbs:

spydaman60
03-06-2017, 08:36 PM
What's wrong with the mountains? They're beautiful to ryde through. Patti, Carol loves the mountains on the spyder, just doesn't like taking the class a RV thru the mountains with a 16ft. trailer tagging along!:opps:

AeroPilot
03-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Or I-40 to the south and then up. Mountain highways including I-70 get congested thru Colorado. Great to cruise on the Spyder, but not so much with RV and trailer unless you're traveling on more of the "shoulder" seasons.

asp125
03-07-2017, 12:03 AM
I-70 through Glenwood canyon is one of the most scenic interstates around. Have your wife ride the Spyder through it while you follow in the RV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-07-2017, 01:24 AM
Patti, Carol loves the mountains on the spyder, just doesn't like taking the class a RV thru the mountains with a 16ft. trailer tagging along!:opps:
Take a virtual tour of I-70 on Google maps using Street View, or use Google Earth. As has been said it's a beautiful drive and being an Interstate I don't think driving it with an RV and trailer will be any problem at all. Now, going through or around Denver is another matter. Traffic is heavy there and on I-70 up to the Georgetown area.