PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed on Windshield Arm

GA_Spyderman
02-26-2017, 06:38 PM
We are planning a 5600 mile trip in May, traveling west to southern Utah and up to Yellowstone on our RTL. We have not had any issues so far with the bike. I'm planning to do a complete maintenance schedule on it between now and then.

My question is this:
I've read a lot about the windshield arm cracking/breaking and I'm aware of noboot's billet arm to replace it. Right now mine looks good with no sign of a problem. What do you guys think about proactively replacing the arm before this trip? If it were to break(worst case), would it be a show-stopper? Obviously, it would be an inconvenience. What are the chances this might happen, and is there something I could do to to the existing arm to help it to make it for our journey? As I'm writing this, I may be answering my own question, but I wondered what others might do.

What say you, guys?

Bob Denman
02-26-2017, 06:43 PM
If the OEM arm still looks good: leave it in place, and keep Noboot's arm for when you've got LOTS of time, and no chance of loosing any ryding time! :2thumbs:

SPYD3R
02-26-2017, 06:49 PM
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RT's....
BUT I DO KNOW ABOUT YELLOWSTONE..... IF YOU DO NOT HAVE RESERVATIONS, EXPECT TO NOT BE ABLE TO FIND A MOTEL ROOM WITHIN 200 MILES... AND WHEN YOU DO, CASH IN YOUR 401 TO PAY FOR IT....
2 years ago, i searched the web to make reservations a week ahead of time... the ONLY room i found was over 200 miles from the park, it was a single and the rate was $415 per night... OUCH...! ! ! from Utah, we by-passed Yellowstone, and headed directly to Deadwood...
ENJOY YOUR RIDE, AND DO IT SAFELY....
DAN P
SPYD3R

Snowbelt Spyder
02-26-2017, 07:03 PM
I inspected mine religiously and never saw a crack. But it broke suddenly in the middle of the Adirondacks last year when a log truck passed us going the other direction. When it breaks, the windshield doesn't just go lower, it also folds back towards you with force, and if you've got any speed up at all, it will scare the crap right out of you. We ended up jury rigging a fix to wedge up the two side brackets with a pair of crocs, believe it or not. Had to run that way for another 5 days. It's pretty much a show stopper. So, to me, lesson learned. We don't always see a crack to give us advance warning. You can replace it in one afternoon. Given another chance, I'd replace it proactively. Peace of mind. But, that's just me. Your results may vary. But as is being documented on here lately - make sure you have the correct tools for the job, especially a good and proper sized phillips screwdriver.

Edit: And by the way - considering it will be 5600 miles, how's your rear tire look and is it the original Kenda?

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-26-2017, 07:21 PM
This item is something BRP should have dealt with a long time ago since they have been breaking since 2011 ..... I'm surprised NHSTA hasn't filed a case against them ..... If you are at Highway speeds and it let 's go ...... it's 16 lbs of very hard plastic coming right at your face at almost the same speed you are travelling :yikes::yikes::yikes: ...... That being - apparently no one or not too many have died so far , so BRP isn't changing the PART - YET..... Because it's a known piece of CRAP , when I bought my 2014 RT, this was the first MOD I did. " no boots " hadn't designed His aluminum one yet, so I made a cover of 14ga. sheet steel, two side pieces with a strap welded around the entire arm ..... I have no doubt mine won't break ---- EVER :yes:..... IMHO it's not a case of ...." if ", it will break ..... but WHEN ...... I hope BRP fired the " so called engineer " who designed this ARM ..... Mike :thumbup:

GA_Spyderman
02-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Snowbelt. One vote for replace. The rear tire looks good; got 5200 miles on it. Fronts look even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
02-26-2017, 08:44 PM
NHTSA deals with safety issues; this one is just an annoyance. When it breaks: it's not going to hit you... nojoke

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-26-2017, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1229740]NHTSA deals with safety issues; this one is just an annoyance. When it breaks: it's not going to hit you... nojoke Having the windshield break loose from the bike isn't a Safety issue :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... and your an INSURANCE salesman :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... Than what is it ..... COSMETIC :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... Annnnnnnd why do you think it's not going to hit you :dontknow: :gaah: ..... jmho ....... Mike

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks, Snowbelt. One vote for replace. The rear tire looks good; got 5200 miles on it. Fronts look even better.
Better replace the rear before you leave. It'll be bald as Yul Brenner's noggin about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through your trip. The fronts will be good for 20k + as long as they don't start shaking or pulling to one side or the other, which is unlikely. If the fronts have problems you'd probably haven't noticed it by now. The rear tires are good for only about 7 to 8000 miles before the center will be worn bald.

Don't worry about the windshield link. The rear tire WILL go bald. The link MAY break. Proactively deal with what is sure to happen.

Do you have motel or campground reservations in Utah already? If not, you may be too late already. In 2014 I wanted to go through the Canyonlands in early May. Made no advance reservations. I was able to stay at Bedrock campground south of the south entrance to Grand Canyon. I found a room in Flagstaff, AZ. Had to give up on the idea of going through Utah. Went from Flagstaff to Las Vegas to home.

Idaho Falls, ID hotels are jam packed all summer, early May to late September, with Yellowstone tourists, but you do stand a chance of finding a room there on short notice. It's over 100 miles to the west entrance.

SpyderAnn01
02-26-2017, 09:37 PM
I had the arm break on my 2010 at 40,000 miles - prior to it breaking I kept the windshield in the lowest position. I have had no problems with the bracket on my 14 (97,000 miles) but I keep it up about 1" from the lowest position. Having changed the bracket on a customer's bike this week I would say don't replace it unless you have to.

When mine broke I used duct tape to keep it in place while I was on a cross country trip.

noboot
02-26-2017, 09:52 PM
All Valid comments and everyone to their own choice. We made the arm purely for a safety prospective. When it lets go at Highway speed it may not hit you but the chance of losing control and having some sort of accident is all Possible.
The work involved in making these arms does not justify the cost, many think it's all done by CNC computer which in fact it's not, around 10% maybe done via CNC the rest is all hand made and many hours of individual work. If we have saved one life or someone from a very serious accident then it's all been worth it.

trikermutha
02-26-2017, 09:55 PM
HAs any on a 2014 on up MY year break yet??

I guess I would take off the windshield if it did break until I could get it fixed

noboot
02-26-2017, 10:09 PM
HAs any on a 2014 on up MY year break yet??

I guess I would take off the windshield if it did break until I could get it fixed

Yes 2014 and 2015 models have broken. And yes some have taken off the Windscreen on the side of the road.

Note: if your bike is still under Warranty you might want to look at a replacement under warranty. We have had dealers replace with the Billet arm and covered it under warranty.

SpyderAnn01
02-26-2017, 10:21 PM
All Valid comments and everyone to their own choice. We made the arm purely for a safety prospective. When it lets go at Highway speed it may not hit you but the chance of losing control and having some sort of accident is all Possible.
The work involved in making these arms does not justify the cost, many think it's all done by CNC computer which in fact it's not, around 10% maybe done via CNC the rest is all hand made and many hours of individual work. If we have saved one life or someone from a very serious accident then it's all been worth it.

Your replacement part is great and the price is awesome and I didn't mean to . I just caution people who don't have much mechanical experience or many tools on trying to do the install themselves as it can get dicey if the screws break.

trikermutha
02-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Yes 2014 and 2015 models have broken. And yes some have taken off the Windscreen on the side of the road.

Note: if your bike is still under Warranty you might want to look at a replacement under warranty. We have had dealers replace with the Billet arm and covered it under warranty.

Do you have any of your Billet arms made up? And where can we get them?

JayBros
02-26-2017, 10:30 PM
When mine broke I used duct tape to keep it in place while I was on a cross country trip.

And I know you have a big can of WD-40 in that trailer too!;)

cognaccruiser
02-27-2017, 11:54 AM
I have the other thread going about a problem I have been having with one of the Phillips head screws. At the beginning of my thread I mentioned why I'm replacing mine.

I still think it is worth the effort. There have been enough of these things break that I don't want to be on a cross country trip and have this thing break. Sure you can sit on the side of the road and try and take off the windshield and hope that that goes ok and then I can see my wife holding on to it while we ride along for who knows how long while we look for a place to ship it home. All the while, the trip is going down hill. Loosing valuable time and all the issues involved with not having a windshield.

To me it is just an ounce of precaution to avoid a whole lot of hassle and I'd rather deal with it in my garage than on the road somewhere. Not to mention the risk involved with the thing crashing down at highway speed.

Gary

missouriboy
02-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Hmmmm... no one has mentioned the preventive procedure for this problem. I learned it here on this forum, and have practiced it diligently with both my machines. I drive with the shield in lowest position too, BUT...

When I lower it, I then raise it back up just a tad, just enough to isolate the brackets from resting "at bottom" to avoid the road-shocks that cause the breakage. If I'm stopped, I stand up to look over the bars and make sure they raise up 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so. With over 30k miles now on both machines, I've had no problem.

However, if you have NOT done this for the whole life of the machine, the brackets could already be starting to crack... so be warned.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Hmmmm... no one has mentioned the preventive procedure for this problem. I learned it here on this forum, and have practiced it diligently with both my machines. I drive with the shield in lowest position too, BUT...

When I lower it, I then raise it back up just a tad, just enough to isolate the brackets from resting "at bottom" to avoid the road-shocks that cause the breakage. If I'm stopped, I stand up to look over the bars and make sure they raise up 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so. With over 30k miles now on both machines, I've had no problem.

However, if you have NOT done this for the whole life of the machine, the brackets could already be starting to crack... so be warned.
Well I think this is one of the Spyder " Myths " ...... I've had the entire windshield mechanism apart and bench tested it ....... the " ARM " doesn't actually rest on that so called " stop piece " ....it's very very close but I checked by placing a piece of paper on that STOP piece and when the ARM came down and stopped the paper fell off :banghead::banghead: .... I did this a few times and it fell off every time ...... The ARM is stopped " electrically " in conjunction with a circuit board and magnet in the unit ..... similar to the way an elevator functions ...... do you think something comes out from the shaft walls and stops the box from moving..... Now could the ARM ...BOUNCE and hit that " stop piece " ... I believe that's quite possible ........ just trying to keep it real ..... Mike :thumbup:

Tango
02-28-2017, 07:57 PM
If you can do it before leaving on your trip, do it. And change the rear before leaving! It will go fast! :yikes: Tom :spyder:

GA_Spyderman
02-28-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm planning to do both real soon. Thanks guys.

Spyderleggs
02-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Last year when in the middle of May, I decided to go to Yellowstone, I called first and they told me the roads would be cleared for travel on July 1st.
I was in AZ on my trip west from N.E. OH. I ryde a 2016 RTL. Paige,AZ was snowed in too. You may want to wait a little later in the year to travel in that area. My total trip was just about 9500 miles. The Spyder was a great ryde.

GA_Spyderman
02-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks, we'll call a couple of days before we go up there.

PapaHotel
02-28-2017, 11:18 PM
I was told to back off from the bottomed, or top most point, as that is when jarring from road surfaces will cause it to break.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Last year when in the middle of May, I decided to go to Yellowstone, I called first and they told me the roads would be cleared for travel on July 1st.
I was in AZ on my trip west from N.E. OH. I ryde a 2016 RTL. Paige,AZ was snowed in too. You may want to wait a little later in the year to travel in that area. My total trip was just about 9500 miles. The Spyder was a great ryde.
The north rim of the Grand Canyon doesn't open up until sometime in June.

Bob Denman
03-01-2017, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1229740]NHTSA deals with safety issues; this one is just an annoyance. When it breaks: it's not going to hit you... nojoke Having the windshield break loose from the bike isn't a Safety issue :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... and your an INSURANCE salesman :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... Than what is it ..... COSMETIC :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... Annnnnnnd why do you think it's not going to hit you :dontknow: :gaah: ..... jmho ....... Mike

It doesn't "Break loose" from the bike: it folds down against the upper wind deflectors that are tucked along the bottom corners of the windshield.
And when that arm broke on my 2010 RT: I had the 27" windshield in place. It wasn't even close to hitting anybody! nojoke
So why do I think that it won't hit me? Because it didn't. :thumbup:
Think I'm lying?? Pop the center strut loose from YOUR bike, and see where the windshield ends up laying... :D