PDA

View Full Version : Spyder in pick up truck

Zip
02-23-2017, 10:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kynISHv8AA

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdEZc91eiY)

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
$ 4000.00 + shipping and you MUST own a full size truck ..... also requires you to remove windshield ... or mother-nature will do it for you. :banghead::banghead: ........ I can't think of any reason to own this, let alone BUY one......jmho..... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-23-2017, 11:58 AM
:agree: you may also need additional ramping. As you can see the front end drags when going up. Not saying it isn't a good idea but you can do the same with just folding ramps. It is nice and ones choice....wonder how easy it is to remove and install if you use the pick up for other things....:dontknow:

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 12:01 PM
:shocked: :agree: :shocked: Sigh...
You can buy a trailer for less money. nojoke

GA_Spyderman
02-23-2017, 12:32 PM
I think if you have a bump skid, it would definitely scrape. Not for me. But then, I'd have to buy a full sized pickup to use it. Nah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kngfsh27
02-23-2017, 12:59 PM
And the trailer can be used for other things.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 01:01 PM
And the trailer can be used for other things.
:D See... I wonder why I have to keep telling folks that I'm not as dumb as I look? :D

dieselengine9
02-23-2017, 02:01 PM

a NICE one too.

Zip
02-23-2017, 02:35 PM
I like my trailer.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 02:47 PM
There's no doubt that it's an option...
Somebody who already has the right truck, and no room for storing a trailer... :clap:

trucker1
02-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Ok and where did all the oil end up at in the headlights

kep-up
02-23-2017, 04:55 PM
here is my question; the Spyder has wheels, motor, gas tank, handlebars, and all the other stuff that makes it roadworthy. Why not just ride the dam thing????

vided
02-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Looks like the definition of CUMBERSOME

ruralgirl
02-23-2017, 06:23 PM
here is my question; the Spyder has wheels, motor, gas tank, handlebars, and all the other stuff that makes it roadworthy. Why not just ride the dam thing????

'Cuz it also has a DESS.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Because sometimes: **** happens!

SPYD3R
02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
NOT...... :gaah:
the ONLY reason to EVER trailer a motorcycle of ANY kind, is when it's broken.... i can't even begin to think of a (sound) reason for trailering a motorcycle.... :dontknow: NO, not even behind a motorhome... :lecturef_smilie: SORRY, but if i can't ride it, i ain't going... :lecturef_smilie:
jm2pennies....
Dan P
SPYD3R

pegasus1300
02-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Because at least in my situation my wife does not ride long distances or on freeways. I wish it were different but it isn't and I respect the fact that she is willing to ride sometimes short to medium distance when we get to our riding area. I want my wife with me as much as she is willing so I trailer to the main event and then ride the rides in what ever area we are in. As an example, last year at the end of Feb the local riding group I belong to (Temple Riders) went to San Diego. No problem for me,I would love that ride. She wanted to go too but would not ride that distance or spend that much time on the freeway( I 15). So we trailered to San Diego and then rode with the group all over there and had a ball and then trailered home. For that experience I will gladly put the Spyder on a trailer and ride in the car for a little way.

JayBros
02-23-2017, 06:45 PM
In addition to Mike's comment about the windshield and GA_Spyderman's comment about the bump skid the CG of that load is too high and too far aft for my liking.

duke50
02-23-2017, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=SPYD3R;1228691]NOT...... :gaah:
the ONLY reason to EVER trailer a motorcycle of ANY kind, is when it's broken.... i can't even begin to think of a (sound) reason for trailering a motorcycle.... :dontknow: NO, not even behind a motorhome... :lecturef_smilie: SORRY, but if i can't ride it, i ain't going... :lecturef_smilie:
jm2pennies....
Dan P
SPYD3R[/QUOT

You can have the bed bugs and the sheets that who knows sleep in! I'm very happy trailering my Spyder behind my motorhome.
I know whos slept in my bed. LOL

jaherbst
02-23-2017, 08:49 PM
jm2pennies....
Dan P
SPYD3R

Sounds like Mr. Testosterone speaking or Manly men doing manly things in a manly manner on a manly (????) Spyder. You need to get in touch with your inner self and stop sounding like Mr. Bully. There are many reasons one would trailer or haul a power sport toy. Think about it. If you are mature it will come to you. Some one had to say it.

Jack

murphybrown
02-23-2017, 09:01 PM

That's the way I've been "doing it" for many thousand miles...would not consider do my rydes any other way....:thumbup:

2dogs
02-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Right on Pegasus, right on.

jcthorne
02-23-2017, 11:55 PM
'Cuz it also has a DESS.

Not
any more.....

pauly1
02-24-2017, 07:23 AM
jm2pennies....
Dan P
SPYD3R

You do it your way, Dan, we'll do it our way. And by the way, see the IBA# in my sig before you get more bent out of shape.

Wayne

kep-up
02-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Many years ago when I would ride from my home in Lancaster, PA to bike week in NH, I was always amazed to see the multitude of trailer with MA plates parked outside of town and in motel parking lots. Never could quite figger out why. 2 hours ride..........

Back to the truck.......
CG way too high for the contraption to wiggle and rock the way it does. I've hauled some high loads on pick-ups and was always very nervous about it. I don't like the look of the thing.

Kwalsh
02-24-2017, 07:59 AM
i am not going to get into the argument about trailering or not, everybody has thier own situation so lets not judge them.Now onto the spyder in the back of the truck idea, it looks like all the weight is up high on the end of the bed and over the tailgate.Im sure that would make any normal 1/2 truck ride like a bag of cats fighting over a mouse. not something i would want to drive especially down the highway and in traffic

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Sounds like Mr. Testosterone speaking or Manly men doing manly things in a manly manner on a manly (????) Spyder. You need to get in touch with your inner self and stop sounding like Mr. Bully. There are many reasons one would trailer or haul a power sport toy. Think about it. If you are mature it will come to you. Some one had to say it.

Jack

ruralgirl
02-24-2017, 06:58 PM
'Cuz it also has a DESS.

Not
any more.....

I'm going to expose my ignorance here ..... is there a Spyder model that doesn't have a DESS? Or that won't have soon? :shocked:

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 07:06 PM
I'm going to expose my ignorance here ..... is there a Spyder model that doesn't have a DESS? Or that won't have soon? :shocked:
Probably not. nojoke
BRP has been using it in all of their powersports vehicles for years.
But you CAN have it disabled... IF you know the right person, with the right BUDS software. :thumbup:

ruralgirl
02-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Probably not. nojoke
BRP has been using it in all of their powersports vehicles for years.
But you CAN have it disabled... IF you know the right person, with the right BUDS software. :thumbup:

Right, I'm aware of that stuff, which is why I'm trying to figure out jcthorne's "not any more" response to me. Maybe he's had his disabled? Kinda woulda liked a tad lengthier post. :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-24-2017, 11:26 PM
NO & Never ...............Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Right, I'm aware of that stuff, which is why I'm trying to figure out jcthorne's "not any more" response to me. Maybe he's had his disabled? Kinda woulda liked a tad lengthier post. :D
JC has the B.U.D.S. computer system .. and He bought the additional program ( license ) that enabled Him to dis-able/ dis-connect the DESS part of system ........ Mike :thumbup: ...............my terminology might not be accurate ..sic

jcthorne
02-25-2017, 12:36 AM

Any
Spyder 2014 or newer has the option to turn DESS off. I would be more than happy to do it for you if you were local or want to come by. There are other shops that also offer the service. Its an option in BUDS. Most dealers either cannot or will not.

cptjam
02-25-2017, 02:23 AM
It is an idea. Not cost effective, not particularly stable, but, if you have a shop that hauls Spyders , might be ok. I think a aluma trailer of 1/3 the cost is a bit more sensible, especially if one does not have a truck! Even an economy car can pull a aluminum trailer!

youngers
02-25-2017, 08:27 AM
I like my trailer.

what kind of trailer is that ?

ruralgirl
02-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Any
Spyder 2014 or newer has the option to turn DESS off. I would be more than happy to do it for you if you were local or want to come by. There are other shops that also offer the service. Its an option in BUDS. Most dealers either cannot or will not.

Ahhh, okay! :) THAT'S the rest of the comment I needed from you. I've known from in here for a long time about turning off the DESS (even looked into the cost of the BUDS software), but when you answered me with just "not any more", I was confoozed. :shocked: Don't DO that to an old geezerette worrying about senility! :D

2dogs
02-25-2017, 08:00 PM
An enclosed trailer from Lowe's or Home Depot may come close to the price of the open aluminum trailer. Consider the advantages of what an enclosed trailer can provide you as apposed to an open trailer. I have a Rampage lift and I transported 2 wheel bikes without any issues. But I don't think I will purchase the accessories needed to upgrade to accommodate my spyder, I believe I will sell the rampage and go with an enclosed trailer either a drop tail type or just use ramps to load up. By the way, I won't have all the diehards pointing and laughing at me saying, 'hay look at the trailer queen.' :thumbup: :roflblack:

harry1025
02-25-2017, 08:10 PM
well I wont say yea or nay but living in the great white north and going to the south for the winter I cant ride for the most part but this equipment will allow me to pull a camper behind without having to have a toy hauler thus more living space this may be for me am going to research a little more

seadoomaiden
03-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Some of us have more than one toy we want to take with us. Which is why I'm considering getting some ramps, load the spyder, and pull some seadoos. I'm going to be away from home nearly 2 weeks and want to ride everything!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170309/f3737c8bb30d820052d2995c92086edc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hognit
03-09-2017, 10:17 AM
We, Travel in a motorhome and live in it 4 and 5 months a year. We tow an F150 w/4wd behind it. The last 3 years a 2012 Victory Vision was loaded in the truck using a Rampage Loader. The weight of the bike does not go on the tailgate, it is on the loader itself and that is bolted to the bed of the truck. That being said the Vision weighed in the neighborhood of 900lbs. Towed the whole thing behind a 40ft. motorhome and had zero problems with it. When we got to our destination, we had the best of both worlds. Get to go off roading in the F150 or take the bike out to enjoy the desert southwest! This year we will be taking our new to us 2014 Spyder RTS and staying 5 months near Big Bend National Park. We will have our home base and plenty of roads to travel on as well as a lot of 4WD trails to explore! Retirement is for enjoying what you can while you can! I seriously doubt hauling the Spyder backwards in the truck behind us will remove the windscreen. However we have a rearview monitor on the motorhome and can keep an eye on it. Will remove the windscreen if needed. It's not that difficult.

Bob Denman
03-09-2017, 10:24 AM
:welcome:, and good luck with carrying the RT backwards...