PDA

View Full Version : Pizza...

Bob Denman
02-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Did you see how Iceland's President got in trouble for his statements about pizza toppings?? :dontknow:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/world/europe/pineapple-pizza-iceland.html

(https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/world/europe/pineapple-pizza-iceland.html)

Al Gully
02-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Hawaiian pizza invented in Canada in 1962:popcorn:

Contrary to conventional wisdom, pineapple-topped pizza did not originate in Hawaii, but in Canada in 1962, when restaurateur Sam Panopoulos decided to mix ham with canned pineapple on his pie.

wyliec
02-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Newsworthy?:hun:

SteveLaoyster
02-22-2017, 09:30 PM
At Infinito's pizza buffet. Great stuff!!!

HAM HOAGIE THINLY-SLICE HAM, JUICY TOMATOES, RED ONIONS, AND A DASH OF HERBS AND SPICES TEAM UP WITH OUR MOZZARELLA TO MAKE THIS CRAZY DELICIOUS PIE. IS IT A HOAGIE? IS IT A PIZZA? DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. IT'S DELICIOUS.

Chupaca
02-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Touchy people out there....if they can have anchovies why not pineapple..:dontknow:

2Paw
02-23-2017, 12:02 AM
I've said the same thing for years.:D I do however like canadian bacon, even if it's not really bacon.

ARtraveler
02-23-2017, 01:38 AM

I did not know that. :bowdown::bowdown:

ARtraveler
02-23-2017, 01:39 AM
Lot's of crazy flavors out there these days. I have tried a few--one time only. I will stick with the tried and true. :yes::yes:

wyliec
02-23-2017, 07:35 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/iceland-hawaiian-pizza-inventor-windsor-1.3994970

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 08:10 AM
So what do you like on YOUR pizza? :D
We're into:
Pepperoni
Sausage
Black Olives
Onions

and of course: extra sauce and cheese! :thumbup:

wyliec
02-23-2017, 08:27 AM
We're into:
Pepperoni
Sausage
Black Olives
Onions

Plus anchovies, and peppers. No pineapple for me.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 08:50 AM
This place is about 45 minutes from our house, and they have an AWESOME selection... :bowdown:
If we're in Middletown: we get our pizza from them! :thumbup:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/joeys-olde-world-pizza-middletown-2

PrairieSpyder
02-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Bob, are you trying to start another controversial thread? :dontknow:

I don't mind Hawaiian pizza now and then, but my fave is Italian sausage and mushrooms.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 09:20 AM
:shocked: I certainly HOPE not!
Sausage and Mushrooms on your Pizza??

BigGuy66
02-23-2017, 09:46 AM
... I had pizza in Santo Domingo, Rep Dom, that had CORN on it. Yep, they opened up a can of corn and added that to the pizza. It was pretty good.

2Paw
02-23-2017, 09:53 AM
We're into:
Pepperoni
Sausage
Black Olives
Onions

Pepperoni
Onions
and
Japalenos

I also like a good Supreme, hold the mushrooms, now and then.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 10:02 AM
... I had pizza in Santo Domingo, Rep Dom, that had CORN on it. Yep, they opened up a can of corn and added that to the pizza. It was pretty good.

:D I have GOT to try that; Thanks! :clap: :2thumbs:

mowin
02-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Meat lovers pizza.. :bbq:

Definitely no anchovies...:barf:

JerryB
02-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: So what do you like on YOUR pizza?

Pizza is one of my favorite foods, will probably have one tomorrow nite.

I like: Red Sauce + extra sauce, Salami, Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Olives = Yummy

YMMV,

Jerry Baumchen

ARtraveler
02-23-2017, 03:02 PM
We're into:
Pepperoni
Sausage
Black Olives
Onions

Add mushrooms, green peppers, and sometimes Canadian bacon. That makes for a good Supreme. Kill the veggies, and you have a good Meat Lovers. Throw in an occasional deep dish from Papa Murphy's and you have me covered. YUM! PS. Guess what I am going to have tonight--now that the subject has risen. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 03:11 PM
:shocked: Damn... All of these FANTASTIC combinations is making me hungry! nojoke
Guess what I'll be snacking on during the Can Am Twin 150s?
That's right: we've got NASCAR racing tonight! :yes::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
02-23-2017, 03:20 PM
:shocked: Damn... All of these FANTASTIC combinations is making me hungry! nojoke
Guess what I'll be snacking on during the Can Am Twin 150s?
That's right: we've got NASCAR racing tonight! :yes::yes::yes:

Guess I will have to check that out also. It is sounding like the best of both worlds. :yes::firstplace:

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Pizza actually never needs a reason... :D
But since Can Am is the race sponsor: :bowdown:

LateLifeCrisis
02-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Have friends living in Hawaii and they are adamant they have THE BEST pizza topping/combination......pineapple and wait for it.................SPAM!!! :bbq:

ARtraveler
02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Have friends living in Hawaii and they are adamant they have THE BEST pizza topping/combination......pineapple and wait for it.................SPAM!!! :bbq:

Yup! Spam is a well known Island food. A carry over from WWII "C" rations.

R FUN
02-23-2017, 04:12 PM
When we were in Italy last year we went to a famous pizza parlor and tried several types of pizza. They were the worst pizza we ever had. When we told them of the variety of pizza we have back home including pinapple,meats etc. they could not believe it and said they are not pizzas, everyone for there own.
Roger

2Paw
02-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Yup! Spam is a well known Island food. A carry over from WWII "C" rations.

My Dad was in the Navy during WWII, I remember my Mom would only fix Spam when he wasn't home because he would not touch it.
I'm kind of the same way with meatloaf, because of too much bad meatloaf when I was in the Air Force.

Bob Denman
02-23-2017, 05:47 PM
When we were in Italy last year we went to a famous pizza parlor and tried several types of pizza. They were the worst pizza we ever had. When we told them of the variety of pizza we have back home including pinapple,meats etc. they could not believe it and said they are not pizzas, everyone for there own.
Roger

There's actually no such thing as a bad pizza! nojoke
It's just that we all have our favorites! :D

cognaccruiser
02-23-2017, 07:56 PM
We almost always make our own pizza's and have done so for many years including the dough. We have one almost every week. We like to experiment a little bit especially in the summer when we do them in the BBQ. Those usually get a pretty thin crust and don't take long to cook.

Most often this is what we have for toppings: Our own home made tomato based sauce with a little balsamic vinegar drizzled on, onions, mushrooms, sweet red or yellow or orange bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, black and/or green olive slices, bacon bits, pepperoni, sometimes a little pre-cooked ground beef, mozzarella cheese (lots).

Not opposed to pineapple on pizza but I like it much better just by itself and never out of a can.

Doesn't pizza cover almost all the required food groups (if beer or wine is included).

Gary

JerryB
02-24-2017, 01:29 AM
Hi R FUN,

Re: They were the worst pizza we ever had.

The worst that I ever had was about 20+ yrs ago in Brazil. They put mayonaisse, corn, beans, etc on them.

UGH!

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Please pardon my apparent ignorance...

But wouldn't ordering pizza in Brazil be about like trying to drive a SuperCar in Tokyo's rush-hour traffic? :dontknow:

(I get the corn and beans; but the mayonnaise??? :shocked:)

wyliec
02-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Please pardon my apparent ignorance...

But wouldn't ordering pizza in Brazil be about like trying to drive a SuperCar in Tokyo's rush-hour traffic? :dontknow:

(I get the corn and beans; but the mayonnaise??? :shocked:)

When I think of Brazil, I certainly don't think of pizza.

http://www.oxygen.com/sites/nbcuoxygen/files/styles/blog-post--computer/public/field_blog_image/2016/08/screenshot_3392.jpg?itok=VLg_el77&timestamp=1471273859

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Neither do I: Brazil makes me think of Beaches... and bikinis! :yes:

vided
02-24-2017, 12:35 PM

stillriding
02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
We almost always make our own pizza's and have done so for many years including the dough. We have one almost every week. We like to experiment a little bit especially in the summer when we do them in the BBQ. Those usually get a pretty thin crust and don't take long to cook.

Most often this is what we have for toppings: Our own home made tomato based sauce with a little balsamic vinegar drizzled on, onions, mushrooms, sweet red or yellow or orange bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, black and/or green olive slices, bacon bits, pepperoni, sometimes a little pre-cooked ground beef, mozzarella cheese (lots).

Not opposed to pineapple on pizza but I like it much better just by itself and never out of a can.

Doesn't pizza cover almost all the required food groups (if beer or wine is included).

GaryNow you got me drooling !

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 01:20 PM
:D:agree: The Party is at Gary's!!! :yes::yes::thumbup:

JerryB
02-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: Brazil makes me think of Beaches...

And the beaches there are well decorated; most are topless.

Ask me how I know :yes::yes::yes:

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 03:57 PM
:shocked: Why on earth would you ever leave the Beach for Pizza? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

This reminds me of a story... :D
My folks went to Munich in 1972 (Right after the Olympics...)
They had to go see all of the sights; most of them involve being at the top of a mountain...
And my Dad is terrified of heights
(He gets nosebleeds if he has to stand up straight.)
Anyway: they up at the top of a place that sounds a lot like "Oberamergau", but I know that the spelling is incorrect.
Dad is sitting on the bleachers; staring off into space... he's got this blank, horrified look on his face, and his knuckles are white from the grip that he's got on the seat... :shocked:
Right below him: a young woman is happily sunning herself, in all of her feminine glory!
He never even knew that she was there nojoke

Bob Denman
02-24-2017, 07:03 PM
When I think of Brazil, I certainly don't think of pizza.

http://www.oxygen.com/sites/nbcuoxygen/files/styles/blog-post--computer/public/field_blog_image/2016/08/screenshot_3392.jpg?itok=VLg_el77&timestamp=1471273859

:D You have a fine eye, for the choicest cuts... :bowdown:

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 02:54 PM
If we go back to Hawaii, we are going to do food a bit differently. My other three trips, we covered all the "fine" dining places, but tried to stay away from "chain" restaurants. The four star hotels liked me a lot as well as a few other establishments.

I am a big fan of watching triple D. (Diners, Drive In's, and Dives). Guy does find the interesting places where the "locals" congregate. Have driven by many but only stopped at a few. Was never disappointed when we did though. We had some great wood fired pizza, great BBQ (Hawaiian style), and Loco Moco (with a burger on it--sorry, no spam this time). Cost wise--you can't beat it. Taste wise--does not get much better. Buzz's wharf (one of my favorite places on Maui) closed its doors a couple years back--so that is off the "locals" list now.

Better quit, or I will be on Expedia arranging another trip. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Next time you go: check this place out!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kona-dogs-kailua-kona-3

And see if you can talk them into shipping me some! :clap:

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Next time you go: check this place out!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kona-dogs-kailua-kona-3

And see if you can talk them into shipping me some! :clap:

Thanks for the suggestion. That is pretty much how I am going to do it. Same pattern for Las Vegas--off the strip--where the locals eat--with one exception--have to go back to Gordon Ramsays Steak for the Beef Wellington and Guy Fieris burger joint for that $29 fishbowl cocktail.

There is a funny story to go with the cocktail. Brother & Spouse were along last trip. He is a non-drinker and not afraid to mention that. I asked him if it would be all right if I had just one cocktail with my meal. He of course said yes. When they brought that one to the table, the look on his face was absolutely priceless. Even I did not finish it, with a designated "pusher" for my wheelchair at the time. :yes:

Bob Denman
03-01-2017, 03:18 PM
:D A "Fishbowl Cocktail"?
There's got to be a story behind that! :thumbup:

:shocked: But I hesitate to trust anyone who's not willing to get drunk with me...

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 03:27 PM
:D A "Fishbowl Cocktail"?
There's got to be a story behind that! :thumbup:

:shocked: But I hesitate to trust anyone who's not willing to get drunk with me...

And that Fishbowl Cocktail was one of the biggest I have ever seen or drank. Linda did help me a bit though. It is a signature item at Guy's. They have the "tropical" version and a "bloody mary" version. I did the tropical. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Next time you're swimming around in one of them: take a picture of it for us! 144235

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Next time you're swimming around in one of them: take a picture of it for us! 144235

How's this?

https://b.zmtcdn.com/data/reviews_photos/b7a/8d68e1d57312426a365eda43ef923b7a_1483743689.JPG?fi t=around%7C200%3A200&crop=200%3A200%3B%2A%2C%2A

Fresh from his website. And they were generous with the booze infuse. :bowdown::clap:

Bob Denman
03-01-2017, 05:41 PM
I can hear your guts screaming...

cognaccruiser
03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
If we go back to Hawaii, we are going to do food a bit differently. My other three trips, we covered all the "fine" dining places, but tried to stay away from "chain" restaurants. The four star hotels liked me a lot as well as a few other establishments.

I am a big fan of watching triple D. (Diners, Drive In's, and Dives). Guy does find the interesting places where the "locals" congregate. Have driven by many but only stopped at a few. Was never disappointed when we did though. We had some great wood fired pizza, great BBQ (Hawaiian style), and Loco Moco (with a burger on it--sorry, no spam this time). Cost wise--you can't beat it. Taste wise--does not get much better. Buzz's wharf (one of my favorite places on Maui) closed its doors a couple years back--so that is off the "locals" list now.

Better quit, or I will be on Expedia arranging another trip. :roflblack:

While you were in Maui, did you happen to try 'Mamma's Fish House' on the north shore. Pretty pricey but the food and service were amazing (to us). Others may feel differently. The seafood really is fresh caught every day. I can't remember the names of some of the other places we ate but we were at Mamma's 3 or 4 times.

Gary

ARtraveler
03-01-2017, 08:38 PM
While you were in Maui, did you happen to try 'Mamma's Fish House' on the north shore. Pretty pricey but the food and service were amazing (to us). Others may feel differently. The seafood really is fresh caught every day. I can't remember the names of some of the other places we ate but we were at Mamma's 3 or 4 times.

Gary

Yes, we were there. My impressions were the same. We also did Roy's when he was in the shopping strip by Hilo Hatties. Have not been to the new place where he moved to NW Maui.