PDA

View Full Version : head light inop

jtoro1
02-22-2017, 01:09 PM
The other day my Canadian friends came over with one light light not operating, I found it was not the bulb , it was the plug burned up lucky we found a plug with wires to fix it at Auto zone good fix143916143917:yes:

JerryB
02-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Hi jtoro1,

Re: the plug burned up

My first thought, without actually seeing it, is that it might not have been seated completely, allowing arcing within the plug.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
02-22-2017, 02:36 PM
:agree: That would be my guess also...
Glad to hear that you found the right parts, and soon had him "Back up on three...:riding:" :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
02-22-2017, 05:08 PM
The same thing happened to me and the light was replaced under extended warranty.

jtoro1
02-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Hi jtoro1,

Re: the plug burned up

My first thought, without actually seeing it, is that it might not have been seated completely, allowing arcing within the plug.

Jerry Baumchen

The plug was seated correctly but most likely it was arcing inside

Peter Aawen
02-22-2017, 06:42 PM
They hadn't fitted higher wattage globes to get better light output had they?? That 'melted connector' thing is something I've seen here a lot, especially on 4WD's, where owners have 'upgraded' their light output (via higher wattage globes) without upgrading their light wiring to suit the increased current draw.... The higher wattage means more heat wherever there's increased resistance, ie especially in the smaller or more enclosed connectors, & eventually they just melt.... :gaah:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-22-2017, 07:15 PM
The plug was seated correctly but most likely it was arcing inside
If the plug was seated correctly - there shouldn't be any ARCHING :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-22-2017, 07:18 PM
They hadn't fitted higher wattage globes to get better light output had they?? That 'melted connector' thing is something I've seen here a lot, especially on 4WD's, where owners have 'upgraded' their light output (via higher wattage globes) without upgrading their light wiring to suit the increased current draw.... The higher wattage means more heat wherever there's increased resistance, ie especially in the smaller or more enclosed connectors, & eventually they just melt.... :gaah:
:agree: .... On my RT I tried 100 watt halogens , and my plugs looked just like the above after 4 mos......... I did find CERAMIC replacements on E-bay for less money ( by 1/2 ) that what I could get normal ones at the Auto parts store ........ Mike :thumbup: