PDA

View Full Version : new scam going around, you should reat this

cuznjohn
02-21-2017, 01:08 PM
it has been on facebook, and posted by a lot of people

http://www.sharetap.it/7221/latest-phone-scam-involves-answering-just-one-basic-question/

Eagle1
02-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Saw it on the news, thanks for posting.

Chupaca
02-21-2017, 01:28 PM
" I don't know...can you hear me..??" when he answers "yes" and before he can ask again....just say thank you and hang up...:roflblack: Having to answer random number due to the airbnb using random number I run into these scams alot. The other is if you don't know the number answer and say nothing but listen for clicks background noise and you will know to hang up....:banghead::banghead: There are a lot out there :banghead::banghead:

Bob Denman
02-21-2017, 01:41 PM
I always respond with:
"What is this in regard to?"
If I don't get a direct answer: I hang up immediately!
If I do: I STILL hang up! nojoke

ARtraveler
02-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Thanks for posting about the scam John. It is getting more scary all the time. :thumbup:

Zip
02-21-2017, 03:42 PM
At first glance, the warning sounded reasonably valid: major news outlets covered it, and a Better Business Bureau satellite office reported the scam as well. But a closer examination revealed some questionable elements.
Primarily, we haven’t yet been able to identify any scenario under which a scammer could authorize charges in another person’s name simply by possessing a voice recording of that person saying “yes,” without also already possessing a good deal of personal and account information for that person, and without being able to reproduce any other form of verbal response from that person.
Moreover, even if such a scenario existed, it’s hard to imagine why scammers would need to utilize an actual audio recording of the victim’s repeating the word “yes” rather than simply providing that response themselves. As far as we know, phone companies, utilities, and credit card issuers don’t maintain databases of voice recordings of their customers and use them to perform real-time audio matching to verify identities during customer service calls.

Bob Denman
02-21-2017, 03:56 PM
I'll be okay: I've got protection! :D

mowin
02-21-2017, 06:43 PM
I also don't see how they can bill you. They don't have any billing info, and if the somehow had my address and sent me a bill, it would be tossed really fast.

MisterP
02-21-2017, 09:12 PM
At first glance, the warning sounded reasonably valid: major news outlets covered it, and a Better Business Bureau satellite office reported the scam as well. But a closer examination revealed some questionable elements.
Primarily, we haven’t yet been able to identify any scenario under which a scammer could authorize charges in another person’s name simply by possessing a voice recording of that person saying “yes,” without also already possessing a good deal of personal and account information for that person, and without being able to reproduce any other form of verbal response from that person.
Moreover, even if such a scenario existed, it’s hard to imagine why scammers would need to utilize an actual audio recording of the victim’s repeating the word “yes” rather than simply providing that response themselves. As far as we know, phone companies, utilities, and credit card issuers don’t maintain databases of voice recordings of their customers and use them to perform real-time audio matching to verify identities during customer service calls.

many of the scams involve "cramming", adding unauthorized charges to your phone bill. Since they already have your number, the coerced agreement is all they need.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Is this quoted from Snopes.com? It looks like it. If so, next time add more credibility by including a link to the page from where you quote. Thanks.

http://www.snopes.com/can-you-hear-me-scam/ They classify it as unproven.