PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT SM5 will not shift into reverse

Spyder2012
02-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Frustrated, just got my 2012 RT SM5 back from a rear tire mount and oil change. Rode it a couple of hundred miles on a group run last week, no problems, and a few short trips. I had checked the oil level after getting home from the shop, and it was full, maybe a bit over full. Yesterday it backed out of the garage fine, but I stopped about 80 miles later for a sandwich, and when I started it and tried to shift into reverse, the shifter would not go past first gear. Stopped and restarted it, no luck, tried repeatedly to get into reverse, but no success. Shifted in and out of first several times, and let the bike roll, but still nothing. Got onto highway and stopped on a ramp to try again, but no luck. Tried after cutting my trip short and getting home in the garage, still no reverse. No displayed errors or orange screen. I have about 32,000 miles on the bike, and have had a number of problems, but this is a new one on me. I bought the Spyder new, and have had problems with it. Any suggestions, ideas etc. would be appreciated.

youngers
02-18-2017, 09:00 AM
when you checked the oil was your engine cold , or hot ? on these cycles , need the engine too have ran a bit , get the oil moving around, give a more accurate read, it might have been low and the ride had pushed the oil every where and not enough too get the clutches too move ... if this isn`1t the problem , look for leaks inside the engine area , where oil spots would be seen ! if I remember right , rotax use a little oil in a 1 ,ooo to 2,ooo mile ride , might just too top off the oil ,as these engines are a bit fussy with fluids ...

Chupaca
02-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Start with the oil. The twins use oil and need checking every 500 miles or so. The SE's need to have the oil level close to the full mark to keep the clutch and tranny working properly. If stuck there is a tool in your kit or should be that will allow you to manually shift to get you out of a stuck gear position. Otherwise you may have to check the actuator, sensors etc for clutch and shift system...hope it's just oil....

ottawa-rider
02-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Happened to my riding buddy.

I'm not sure how it works for the automatic, but with the manual, when you press the reverse button on the handlebars, it activate a solenoid at the transmission that allows reverse to be engaged.

In the case of my buddy, a wire had come loose at the transmission end, that was with a 2011 RT SM5.

Spyder2012
02-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Oil level is fine. Either the switch, actuator or wire must be failing. It was fine, then not. Thanks to all who responded. I will check for a loose wire as soon as I can get under there.

Sarge707
02-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Sometimes my 2012 sm5 Will Not shift OUT of reverse Back to 1st Gear as I try to lift the lever? I Kill the engine and it shifts Perfectly- Then ReStart the engine!
Does Not happen often but you might try the Kill Switch and try to shift -then restart??

SpyderAnn01
02-19-2017, 11:37 PM
I think there is a relay for the reverse actuator. It is also used by the trailer module and when I had trailer harness issues my SM5 would not shift into reverse. I remember having to push it out of a tight parking place with the trailer attached. :banghead: