PDA

View Full Version : My RSS died...temporarily! Thoughts?

StealthSpyder
02-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,

I have to give a quick shoutout to SL because ever since I got my 2012 neutron, this community has helped me with dozens of modding & tech inquiries! Thank you guys very much for your wealth of knowledge.

On to the issue this time...the battery died. Normally no big deal. Last year, I got the battery tender jr and kept it connected all winter here in KC MO and hopped on the bike sporadically throughout the winter. Global warming sure is allowing us some unexpected additional riding, but I digress.

This winter, since we moved this past summer, I misplaced the battery tender. When I went to go for a ride last weekend, she was dead which forced an exhaustive search for the tender. Finally found it and had it connected for the last week. Red light steady all week.

No power still today.

Not sure if the battery can permanently die beyond recharging? Or can/does the tender actually take weekS (more than 7 whole days) to bring it back to life!?

I'll make sure that I use it to maintain the charge winters moving forward like I did last year to avoid this.

However the other question I have is would there be any danger by attempting to jump the spyder with my 2001 dodge ram 5.9L V8? I have cables and I can finagle it to reach. I was concerned about potential damage since the batteries are different and didn't want to overblast the small spyder battery with the huge one in the truck.

Will this work?

Thanks for your thoughts! :cheers:

--SS

quasi
02-17-2017, 12:04 PM
the tender will maintain a charged battery. not likely to charge a dead battery with one I don't think. best hook a charger to it for about 12 hours.

StealthSpyder
02-17-2017, 12:11 PM
I should add that the whole reason I bought this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

...is because my battery died last winter and you guys recommended it as a way to keep the spyder charger and/or charge it if it died. She died last winter and the charger/tender recharged the battery and brought her back to life. So I'm trying to figure out why it didn't work this time. Surely a week would be enough time I thought but maybe not?

I don't have a battery charger besides this one and really want to ride this weekend so I'm hoping you guys will say you can jump a motorcycle battery with a truck and it won't be an issue!

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 12:14 PM
If you're getting a red light: the Battery Tender won't be able to re-charge it :shocked:.
However; you can certainly try jumping it from your truck! :thumbup:
(Normal precautions about using the proper procedures...)

StealthSpyder
02-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Awesome, thanks Bob! I saw a youtube suggesting that I should NOT have the truck running when I attempt to jump a motorcycle battery. I have always had the jumping car running when jumping a dead battery in another car.

Should I have the truck running or not running when I try to jump the spyder battery?

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Leave it off... you've got plenty of battery capacity for what you need to do.
I'd even just leave it hooked to the Spyder for a little while, before cranking on it. :thumbup:

blacklightning
02-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Awesome, thanks Bob! I saw a youtube suggesting that I should NOT have the truck running when I attempt to jump a motorcycle battery. I have always had the jumping car running when jumping a dead battery in another car.

Should I have the truck running or not running when I try to jump the spyder battery?
I am not 100% sure on the spyder, but on most motorcycles, it is better to NOT have the truck or car running. There should be plenty of juice in the car battery without having to run the vehicle. Good luck, I know the feeling of wanting to ride and your bike not wanting to coorporate.

Chupaca
02-17-2017, 01:00 PM
With those above, you will not bring back a dead battery with a tender. Not even sure about the charger tender. I would start with the jump start like Bob suggested (engine off) then have a good ryde to charge it. Have it load tested once charged, most auto parts can do that for you. A good investment are the micro jumper units. I have the Antigravity and save a few stranded motorists. :thumbup:

cptjam
02-17-2017, 02:13 PM
My rule of thumb:
after two years, watch carefully. If you get a 3rd year, bonus! The first sign of trouble, replace it. They don't get better with age, yours is 5 years old. Time for a new one!

ARtraveler
02-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Ditto on the tender will not charge a dead battery. And, it is time to change out the old battery for a new one. When they do quit, it is always in a place that is not convenient. Think, Murphy's Law. :yes:

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 02:27 PM
:agree:

HayRog
02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
I have two Battery Tenders.
The Battery Tender Plus which charges at 1.25 amps -- and --
The Battery Tender Jnr. which only charges at 750 m.amps

I've found that on really low batteries the "Jnr" won't do the job, but the "Plus" will.
I keep the Jnr. hooked to the Spyder when I'm not riding it.
I'm no expert on this, just my experience.

Bfromla
02-17-2017, 07:35 PM
All above has you set. In future or if you care to find one now try a Jump pack. Fyi will safely jump start you spyder & other vehicles by themselves, (great for back up) they come in many brands & sizes https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170218/827c91d6cc7e3e6afbb56e5ad2b07ddb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170218/038def86d909a336feabaf2f8a6afa01.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170218/2f52e885731fc2ed06a2baae577769a2.jpg

HayRog
02-18-2017, 12:49 PM
let me throw another jump starter in the mix. Real compact and has started my truck, my son's car and his boat on one charge !

Bob Denman
02-18-2017, 01:22 PM
let me throw another jump starter in the mix. Real compact and has started my truck, my son's car and his boat on one charge !

I LIKE that! How much do they cost? :D

HayRog
02-18-2017, 06:01 PM
I picked it up at an intro. price of $70. They then experienced a price hike but then settled back down to around the $70's
I consider it money well spent as I have a "full size" jump starter that doesn't perform anywhere near as good !

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Lithium-Portable-030-0001-WH/dp/B00Q2E2QF0

Bob Denman
02-18-2017, 06:05 PM

It looks as if it's time to get in some trouble by SHOPPING!! :yes::yes::yes:

Firefly
02-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Time for a new battery. Also, hose jump packs are okay, but generally won't work on a totally dead spyder due to the computer needing consistent power many times the spyder will turn over and almost start hurt then the computers reboot due to lack of consistent power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthSpyder
02-19-2017, 12:54 PM
OK guys, the jumping didn't work. Battery might be toast. I was able to fire up the electronics but when I went to turn her over/fire up...nothing.

So, assuming I need a new battery:

-where would you recommend I purchase it from for best price?
-Does the spyder need a specific type of battery and if so what would you recommend for a 2012 RSS?
-what's the procedure for installing it? Is it difficult? I am very mechanically declined, as in, I have never even changed the oil in any vehicle I've ever owned.

Would you recommend that I get it done by a local motorcycle shop? Would have to get it towed if that's the case.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm bummed!!

Bob Denman
02-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Get yourself another YUASA. :thumbup:
No muss, and no fuss!

StealthSpyder
02-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks Bob! Can you recommend a Yuasa model number? How about an online or brick and mortar vendor that you would recommend that I purchase it from that'll have good pricing/value/warranty etc?

Thanks

Firefly
02-20-2017, 08:08 AM
I can't remember the battery specs... probably in the owners manual or at least a service manual.. or do a forum search out here.
Battery Tender is now selling motorcycle batteries that are lithium ion. Expensive but should last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
02-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Thanks Bob! Can you recommend a Yuasa model number? How about an online or brick and mortar vendor that you would recommend that I purchase it from that'll have good pricing/value/warranty etc?

Thanks

YTX 24HL

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/powersports.php

oldgoat
02-20-2017, 10:52 AM
OK guys, the jumping didn't work. Battery might be toast. I was able to fire up the electronics but when I went to turn her over/fire up...nothing.

So, assuming I need a new battery:

-where would you recommend I purchase it from for best price?
-Does the spyder need a specific type of battery and if so what would you recommend for a 2012 RSS?
-what's the procedure for installing it? Is it difficult? I am very mechanically declined, as in, I have never even changed the oil in any vehicle I've ever owned.

Would you recommend that I get it done by a local motorcycle shop? Would have to get it towed if that's the case.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm bummed!!

If you hook up your truck battery negative to the negative bolt under the seat at the rear and the positive one to the positive on the battery side of the starter solenoid then you should get power to both the starter motor & the instrumentation. The dead Spyder battery is out of the equation. If it won't turn over you have a much bigger problem than a dead battery. IMO!