PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this kind of pet trailer on your Spyder?

robhowen
02-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Has anyone tried this kind of pet trailer behind a Spyder? I don't mean this specific brand; I mean this lightweight style pet trailer that's designed to be pulled by a bicycle. My initial reaction is greater danger to the pet, but I don't know. I also know I'd have to change the hitch, maybe the wheels/tires, put on running lights, etc. I see this as likely all doable. I like the idea if reasonable as I don't need a trailer for space, but I'd like to take my dog with me.

Thanks,

Rob

rcturner
02-17-2017, 10:47 AM
I think the only reason to put a dog in a trailer behind your bike would be to see how much exhaust it can take before it expires. I cannot believe this would be a good idea with any trailer.

Highwayman2013
02-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Here are some made for the purpose.http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/pet-hauler-motorcycle-trailers/
http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/pettrailer (http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/pet-hauler-motorcycle-trailers/)

Spyder 42
02-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Mmm, no. A bicycle trailer does not have the strength, nor the physical characteristics that you would want in a highway trailer. First, the wheels and bearings are not built for the speed. Second, the wheels and bearings are not designed for the lateral forces that it would be subjected to at highway speeds. Third, the weight of the trailer is due to the light weight materials used. Thatnylon would not stop a rock traveling at 60 mph.

That said, there are several specialized trailers that can be purchased and there are many highway capable trailers that could be converted to a dog carrier.

Brentc
02-17-2017, 11:38 AM
I don't believe that trailer would hold up well on road at highway speed. I wouldn't trust my pet in it

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 11:47 AM
It would be a great idea, ONLY if nothing ever goes wrong. nojoke
Leave your furry family member home; where he's safe! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Has anyone tried this kind of pet trailer behind a Spyder? I don't mean this specific brand; I mean this lightweight style pet trailer that's designed to be pulled by a bicycle. My initial reaction is greater danger to the pet, but I don't know. I also know I'd have to change the hitch, maybe the wheels/tires, put on running lights, etc. I see this as likely all doable. I like the idea if reasonable as I don't need a trailer for space, but I'd like to take my dog with me.

Thanks,

Rob.... I'm a DIY'er , my thoughts are the same as others .... wheels, tires, bearings, axel, lights, etc..... if you get past that ( and I think you could ) ...the strength of frame would be of concern ....but if you took off the canvass and RE-PLACED IT with 26 - 28 Ga. galvanized sheet metal ... I think this could be doable, because once the sheet metal is attached it would act as a monocoque frame ............. jmho ... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-17-2017, 01:10 PM
If you worked to get up to par for a motorcycle trailer the cost would be more than buying a pet hauler...:dontknow: but unless you are ryding around the block at 5 mph I would not go that route...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
How hot can it get in Tucson? :dontknow: You want to be extra careful about possibly carrying your pets around in a "Slow-Cooker"... nojoke

ARtraveler
02-17-2017, 02:40 PM
I think the previous posters have you covered. To much can go wrong here. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Now that we've all shared our opinions: we never said that it can't be done! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Y_JMBzTXk

Bfromla
02-17-2017, 08:39 PM
!!!DONT!!!! Please if you love your pet DO NOT! Try this anything faster than bicycle speeds >20MPH it simply will not hold up. Read its manual it has proper limits stated. Think of it this way, when it fails your pet will be trapped & dragged till you find out!:(

LateLifeCrisis
02-17-2017, 09:15 PM

Thanks,
Rob

A friend of ours uses a carrier similar to the ones shown in this video - here's the link: https://youtu.be/TwSZnHywTWE

WA5VHU
02-18-2017, 12:47 PM
I saw a SUV on the exit ramp of a 70 mph Interstate highway pulling one of those kiddie bicycle trailers. Looked like the family was coming back from a weekend outing, with 3 or 4 bicycles on the back rack and that poor little trailer attached to the hitch on the SUV. No kids inside. I expected to see smoke coming from the tires or bearings but that little trailer was trucking right on down the road, very stable looking.

I wouldn't do it.