PDA

View Full Version : your gear and cost

Rogue Hawk
02-16-2017, 11:39 AM
It amazes me when I add it all up how expensive even a minimum configuration is. Much of this stuff I got on discount, but the price still really added up.

I have a minimum and maximum setup. Minimum is when I ride my F3 and I have to be some place for a while, like a dental appointment I have today. Maximum is for two wheels riding recreationally. I am more aggressive in that scenario.

These costs are estimates.

Minimum
Helmet 90 Bell Vortex
Boots 150 Cortech Accelerator XC Boots
Knee 40 Troy Lee
Pants 90 Bilt Kevlar
Gloves 80 Cortech Hydro GT
Jacket 150 Joe Rocket Atomic 4
Back 50 AlpineStars Nucleon
Chest 50 AlpineStars Nucleon
$700

Maximum
Helmet 430 Shoei RF1200
Shield 150 Shoei Transition
Boots 300 Dianese TR Course
Knee 50 Dainese hard shell
Pants 160 Road Skins Kevlar leggings
Gloves 200 RS Taichi GP-EVO
Jacket 350 Dianese Speed Naked
Chest 60 Dianese
Vest 600 Helite airbag vest
$2300

Chupaca
02-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Good thing is it does not cost that much each time you ryde...:joke: but then again nothing lasts forever and things get newer and better....:banghead:

cuznjohn
02-16-2017, 11:54 AM
like they say about boats, a boat is nothing but a hole in the ocean, that you pour money into

Bob Denman
02-16-2017, 12:01 PM
It's not about what the stuff costs: it's about how well you are protected! nojoke
Try thinking about it this way:
As you enter an intersection: you suddenly realize that you're about to be Broad-sided by a truck. :yikes:
Are you going to be thinking about the money you saved on your gear, or how much of you it will be able to save after this encounter?

rcturner
02-16-2017, 12:05 PM
The cost of safety gear does vary a lot and usually you get what you pay for. I had a nasty accident several years ago and the only thing that saved me was a very expensive Bieffe carbon fiber helmet. I had extensive damage to all of my chest and upper body including lungs, spleen (removed) liver, ribs, heart, etc. My wife has always maintained that there could have been some previous damage to my head but because of the helmet, no new damage. The helmet was used by the Minnesota Motor Vehicle department for a few years to show young people why wearing a helmet makes good sence when riding. I, however, still feel that wearing one should be voluntary. It allows the natural pruning process to proceed unimpeded.

Bob Denman
02-16-2017, 12:09 PM
:agree: You can't legislate Common Sense... nojoke

d.o.spyder-rts
02-16-2017, 12:40 PM
:agree: X2 Dale

pegasus1300
02-17-2017, 12:34 AM
I have a First Gear Scout Leather jacket I bought new in 1993 and I still wear it.

$495/24=$20.63 per year

First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket bought in 2011

$225.00/6=37.50 per year

Leather Chaps bought in 2008

150.00/9=16.66

Helmet 2011

200/6= 33.33

so all in all I think my gear has been pretty cheap. Sometimes the entry fee can be pretty steep i agree, but quality spread over the years is pretty cheap

Fat Baxter
02-17-2017, 01:00 AM
I bought a two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit 18 years ago for about $850, IIRC. Them suckers now start at $1234 and go up. It barely fits now ('cause it shrank!). What do I usually wear? A pair of Diamond Gusset Kevlar-reinforced jeans, and a Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh shirt, because of Alabama's high heat and humidity, which renders a Roadcrafter a suicide wish in the summer.

My Arai Signet-Q helmet set me back $750. I got my deerskin gloves at Bass Pro for $20.

SpyderAnn01
02-17-2017, 02:36 AM
Rogue I didn't realize Shoei had a transition shield. I had a Bell modular with one and I loved the shield but not the helmet. I recently bought the Klim modular with transition and I love it. I will never have a helmet without a transition shield.

ussoldier
02-17-2017, 03:53 AM
In my opinion, SAFETY is my number one priority. Working in the hospital, I have attended many individuals with motorcycle crashes and accidents. And, I have seen individuals not getting the right gear for the best protection. Sure the Can-am Spyder is a trike; however, your still not enclosed with a cage around you such as an automobile. Therefore, studying many safety items to protect myself I bought the best items to begin with. In addition, I worked in the Army Reserve as a Safety Officer. We do have motorcycle programs. I specifically stress about protection. The type of gear that I have bought:

1) Dainese Super Rider Leather Jacket: $900
2) Dainese Freeland Gor-tex boots: $237
3) Dainese 4-Stroke Evo Gloves: $200
4) Shoei RF1200 $437
5) Dainese Charger pants: Planning to buy, it comes with hip protectors and the J1 Knee protectors
TOTAL: $1774

Is it worth? Yes, I think so. But that is my opinion. There is a saying, "Cheaper the protection products the more expensive the medical bills" I would like to get the Air bag Vest. Here is a video with a guy on a Can-am Spyder RT that saved his life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wHxtc0Kwo

This video shows why an airbag awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lVC573IQsA

Pirate looks at --
02-17-2017, 10:13 AM
ARAI Defiant Helmet $600
Rev'it Sand 2 Jacket with Armor $500
Rev'it Sand 2 Pants with Armor $389.00
Rev'it Borealis Gloves with Gortex $229.00
Can Am RT Water Proof Boots $189.00

Total $1900.00

Stumpy6Guns
02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
At least, that's how it seems after reading your lists! My "gear" wouldn't be a blip on the radar compared to yours.
Basic starter stuff- mesh jacket, safety vest, HJC IS-MAX II helmet.

I need to get busy buying some high quality gear; too many people depend on me.

Pirate looks at --
02-17-2017, 01:10 PM
At least, that's how it seems after reading your lists! My "gear" wouldn't be a blip on the radar compared to yours.
Basic starter stuff- mesh jacket, safety vest, HJC IS-MAX II helmet.

I need to get busy buying some high quality gear; too many people depend on me.
Most important is the helmet. I prefer a Snell approved helmet and all Snell approved helmets will bear a sticker on the back. The other gear allows for Ryding in all types of weather. My Jacket, pants and gloves are all water proof and breathable. In SoCal, you may not need all of that. But a good "Brain Bucket" is a must.

Rogue Hawk
02-17-2017, 01:59 PM
In my opinion, SAFETY is my number one priority. Working in the hospital, I have attended many individuals with motorcycle crashes and accidents. And, I have seen individuals not getting the right gear for the best protection. Sure the Can-am Spyder is a trike; however, your still not enclosed with a cage around you such as an automobile. Therefore, studying many safety items to protect myself I bought the best items to begin with. In addition, I worked in the Army Reserve as a Safety Officer. We do have motorcycle programs. I specifically stress about protection. The type of gear that I have bought:

1) Dainese Super Rider Leather Jacket: $900
2) Dainese Freeland Gor-tex boots: $237
3) Dainese 4-Stroke Evo Gloves: $200
4) Shoei RF1200 $437
5) Dainese Charger pants: Planning to buy, it comes with hip protectors and the J1 Knee protectors
TOTAL: $1774

Is it worth? Yes, I think so. But that is my opinion. There is a saying, "Cheaper the protection products the more expensive the medical bills" I would like to get the Air bag Vest. Here is a video with a guy on a Can-am Spyder RT that saved his life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wHxtc0Kwo

This video shows why an airbag awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lVC573IQsA

I bought a Helite vest not long ago. It takes a while getting use to it. True, a helmet is minimum, but what about all the other organs we depend on? I bought mine from Revzilla.

ARtraveler
02-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Needless to say, I have a lot of riding gear. I have two five feet long clothes racks in the garage--just for the assorted jackets. I have leather, textile, mesh, and perforated. Many colors and styles. My oldest is the Hein Geirke from the early 80's. In its day--that was a motorcycle jacket. I still wear it several times a season and it still fits nice. Still looks like new. Lexol leather preservative still works wonders.

Add in the two pairs of chaps, the assorted textile and leather riding pants, and then the Kevlar jeans, and there is more.

Add in the six helmets (all Nolan) and about 15 pair of gloves, three colored high viz vests, four pairs of riding boots, and I think I am about covered.

All the stuff is good enough to keep and use on a regular basis. Cost? I am guessing about $10K assorted--but not counting because I don't want to get scared. When I bought it, I got the good stuff. Have not bought any new stuff in about three years--I am considering new helmets and communicators this year though. I know that helmets get "old." Will see what the upcoming season brings. :yes:

BUZZARD II
02-17-2017, 02:30 PM
I don't worry about the cost for high end gear. It's there for the long run. I have a pair of BMW touring boots made by Sidi. They are 18 years old with at least 200,000 miles on them. I've had them re-soled three times. A 20 year old Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece that I still use mainly for winter riding. The boots are near worn out, this will be the last season. The suit is just ah, dirty.

Steamer
02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Rogue I didn't realize Shoei had a transition shield. I had a Bell modular with one and I loved the shield but not the helmet. I recently bought the Klim modular with transition and I love it. I will never have a helmet without a transition shield.
I also bought a KLim helmet with the transition shield. I had a chance to test the shield transition speed and it is very fast. Great modular helmet in all respects.

Bob Denman
02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Does anybody know if Schuberth has a transition shield available for their C-3 Pro? :dontknow:

jaherbst
02-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Bob does not speak with forked tongue. You normally get what you paid for.

"No s--t Little Beaver" as Tonto would remark! :joke:

Jack

jaherbst
02-17-2017, 07:38 PM
I don't worry about the cost for high end gear. It's there for the long run. I have a pair of BMW touring boots made by Sidi. They are 18 years old with at least 200,000 miles on them. I've had them re-soled three times. A 20 year old Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece that I still use mainly for winter riding. The boots are near worn out, this will be the last season. The suit is just ah, dirty.

Wash that Aerostitch! (twenty years?) Pee-you! :D I second the Sidi's. Fantastic product I have three pair that I will never out live.

Jack

Spyder 42
02-17-2017, 09:28 PM
This year is change out year from my gear. I've replaced the FirstGear winter gear with an AeroStitch R3. The Arai helmet and is 10 years old and needs to go. My summer gear is still available in transition, as I have sold my ill fitting, 10 year old, BMW Airflow suit, but I have yet to find to find a suitable replacement that fits me well. Boots are Kochmann Scouts (winter) and BMW Airflow for summer $200 each pair. Gloves are $100 AlpineStar vented or Gerbings heated $200. Gerbings heated liner and controller $200.

So my my expenses are;

Suit: winter $1200 plus $200 liner, summer, tbd
helmet: $500, estimate
boots: $200 either season
gloves: $200 winter or $100 summer

I guess that the $2500 rider on my insurance might require adjusting

BUZZARD II
02-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Hey, I wash the damn suit every five years or so. Whether it needs it or not.

Bob Denman
02-18-2017, 01:25 PM
:shocked: I don't think that riding through a car wash while wearing it: counts... :roflblack:

ARtraveler
02-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Bob does not speak with forked tongue. You normally get what you paid for.

"No s--t Little Beaver" as Tonto would remark! :joke:

Jack

Wasn't Little Beaver a companion to Red Ryder?

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2017, 06:30 PM

I also bought a KLim helmet with the transition shield. I had a chance to test the shield transition speed and it is very fast. Great modular helmet in all respects.

I don't think Shoei has a transitions-type shield. At least I can't find one on Revzilla.

Does anybody know if Schuberth has a transition shield available for their C-3 Pro? :dontknow:

Bob, I don't think Schuberth has one either. But their new modular E1 helmet (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-e1-adventure-helmet has a removable and adjustable peak.

I've found that even with the internal sun shield down, I often need something on the top edge to shade my eyes. I don't know that a transitions shield would be enough.

Trbayth
02-18-2017, 07:11 PM
I don't think Shoei has a transitions-type shield. At least I can't find one on Revzilla.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-cwr-1-photochromic-pinlock-ready-face-shield

r1100rider
02-18-2017, 07:14 PM
like they say about boats, a boat is nothing but a hole in the ocean, that you pour money into
B break
O out
A another
T thousand

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2017, 08:03 PM
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-cwr-1-photochromic-pinlock-ready-face-shield

Thanks. I guess I should have looked harder.

SpyderAnn01
02-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Bob, I don't think Schuberth has one either. But their new modular E1 helmet (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-e1-adventure-helmet has a removable and adjustable peak.

I've found that even with the internal sun shield down, I often need something on the top edge to shade my eyes. I don't know that a transitions shield would be enough.

My eyes are really sensitive to light and I wear sunglasses along with the transition shield. I used to have a clear shield and a tinted one and I never seemed to change shields at the right time. I'd wait just a little too long and not be able to see. The transition shield allows me to keep riding from day to night without having to stop. Best $150 you can spend.

ussoldier
02-19-2017, 04:56 AM
I bought a Helite vest not long ago. It takes a while getting use to it. True, a helmet is minimum, but what about all the other organs we depend on? I bought mine from Revzilla.

Tell, you truth based off your picture...you are actually in good of protecting yourself. You did your homework. I just look at youtube videos and what is the survivable equipment. In addition, I worked in a Hospital. The crazy things young or old buying gear that can be affordable depends on how you want to survive. Honestly, the helmet is the most important thing. Here is a story:

One of my co-workers decided not to wear a motorcycle helmet. He took his motorcycle around the block. Unfortunately, he was also drinking. His front tire hit the curb, and he landed with his head. He is alive, but he is unable to walk. He wants to ride his bike, but is unable to do so. I mentioned about the Can-am Spyder, but I don't think he wants to ride...you can call it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Here is a link on motorcycle helmets: https://motorbikewriter.com/crash-statistics-motorcycle-helmets/

As far as the helmet, I do like the shoei helmets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbajUIBUgkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me92ffAzoFE

I actually go direct to the Dainese Store located in Costa Mesa, Ca or San Francisco, Ca. I tend to get military discounts. If you need to know about my research on the best equipment. Here are my studies:

These are the friends of mine I know that bought cheap and lack of protection:

1 = Death
10+ = mulitiples injuries
2 = can no longer walk

These are not individuals that I have worked in the hospital as patients.

Bob Denman
02-19-2017, 08:36 AM
My eyes are really sensitive to light and I wear sunglasses along with the transition shield. I used to have a clear shield and a tinted one and I never seemed to change shields at the right time. I'd wait just a little too long and not be able to see. The transition shield allows me to keep riding from day to night without having to stop. Best $150 you can spend.
You're looking at "Glare sensitivity" defined: right here! :shocked: nojoke
Schuberth has an internal drop-down sun-shield...
I added about an inch of 95% light-blocking tint to the inside edge of the regular shield. I will often then also add a set of clip-ons to my glasses...
I think that a normal person could use this setup for heavy-duty welding chores!
I am just looking to simplify this mess! :D

(Diabetic retinopathy, and a detached left retina...)