PDA

View Full Version : spyderfest newbie [maybe ] ?

irvin48
02-11-2017, 07:25 AM
if we wait till april to get a motel room can we still find one? trying to figure
out how to get there and a trailer. have an 07 mountaineer with the v6 and
am looking at a 5.5 x 10 aluminum utility trailer to build a quick enclosure on just to keep out of
the elements. think it would be to much tongue weight with an rt ? this is a class 2 factory hitch.
used to haul a show car on an 18 ft trailer but i had a truck and equalizer hitch then.
its a little over 500 miles for us to get there according to mapquest. thanks for any
help. never been to a large event before,just mercury shows.
irvvin and joyce toms:bowdown:

harleydavee
02-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Not sure that the trailer you are talking about getting is actually big enough to enclose. A friend of mine uses a 6x10 tiltbed open traller and had to modify the front rail to enable getting the bike forward enough to get sufficient weight on the tongue. 5.5' is 66" with a bike that is approximately 62" wide. IMHO too tight a fit.

Cruzr Joe
02-11-2017, 08:47 AM
There will always be a hotel room somewhere close, but the guest hotels fill up fast and have the most fun. Why not Ride you Rt to Spyderfest?? you could make an adventure out of it by riding halfway and spending the night at a hotel then finish the ride the second day.

Which ever way you decide you will enjoy Spyderfest.

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2017, 12:32 PM
I recall reading somewhere Springfield has over 5000 rooms ...... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Why not see if you can reserve a room now? Just make sure that you know exactly what your rights are, if you cancel...

Mazo EMS2
02-11-2017, 05:17 PM
We use our 6cyl ford escape and does ok for the 550 mile trip. We pull our RT on an open 6x10 alum trailer. As for rooms, you'll find one...it might not be as close to the fairgrounds as the host hotels, but you'll be fine. I'd be willing to bet that regardless of where you stay, there will be at least a handful of Spyder ryders there. I think you'll be happy with trailering. It offers a bit of freedom and ease....

kngfsh27
02-11-2017, 06:10 PM
As Bob said, go ahead and get a room now. You want to check with the host motels and if nothing else get on their wait list. Rooms will probably open up closer to Spyderfest as you will have folks that find they need to cancel. I had a room reserved two years ago and due to family obligations my cancellation opened up a room. As for trailering your Spyder, keep in mind that a RT is only 1k#. If you have it set on the trailer right the tongue weight should not be that bad. You should be fine for the trip to and from Springfield.

Bob Denman
02-11-2017, 06:21 PM
(:D Gotta say it...)

Why not ride the Spyder to Springfield?? :clap:
It's not that far: just under 500 miles. :thumbup:

irvin48
02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
just where in springfield are the fairgrounds and host hotels. not a lotta info for us newbies.

vinsanity666
02-11-2017, 08:02 PM
We talking Ohio? Any in California?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kngfsh27
02-11-2017, 08:47 PM
just where in springfield are the fairgrounds and host hotels. not a lotta info for us newbies.
The fairgrounds(Ozark) are on the north side of Interstate 44. Can be reached from Hiway 13 or Hiway 65. The host motels and others are on Glenstone Ave which runs north/south thru Springfield somewhat on the east side. Pitbull Powersports is on Glenstone also. Springfield is pretty easy to get around in. Hope this helps.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Google maps is your friend here. The fairgrounds is Ozark Empire Fairgrounds. Do a search in Google maps for the hotels and click on directions and put in the fairgrounds.

irvin48
02-12-2017, 07:23 AM
thanks guys and gals. :bowdown::D

Bob Denman
02-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Would you like to know how I found the Fairgrounds?

I just followed the Spyders! nojoke
I'm not joking! :shocked: It took me a couple of tries to figure out how to get there!
But it was worth it! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
02-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Your 5.5' trailer is too narrow. I'd suggest ryding to Spyderfest unless you just want to get a new trailer.

Any hotel on Glenstone Ave north of Pitbull would be a good idea.

CMA Cowboy
02-12-2017, 09:01 PM
It appears that the two host hotels are booked as of right now. There are still several hotels to choose from and there will most likely be spyder ryders at them all by the time Spyderfest comes around.

Big F
02-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Your 5.5' trailer is too narrow. I'd suggest ryding to Spyderfest unless you just want to get a new trailer.

Any hotel on Glenstone Ave north of Pitbull would be a good idea.

Hate to steal your thunder, but I have a 5 1/2' wide by 10' long trailer (from Northern Tool) that I have logged thousands of miles toting my 2014 RT Limited all over the greater Midwest without any problems.......
BIG F

irvin48
02-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Hate to steal your thunder, but I have a 5 1/2' wide by 10' long trailer (from Northern Tool) that I have logged thousands of miles toting my 2014 RT Limited all over the greater Midwest without any problems.......
BIG F

is yours a carry on brand. thats usually what they sell. got a pic with the rt on it.

tractor supply has a 6x10 aluminum trailer to rent. think i'll bring it
home and try it before making a 2000 or more mistake. any way to tarp this to keep some
of the weather off of it in transport . without beating it to death.

Bob Denman
02-13-2017, 09:24 AM
It's actually better to trailer it uncovered and give it a bath; than try to keep a tarp from beating your painted surfaces into submission. nojoke

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-13-2017, 10:04 AM
is yours a carry on brand. thats usually what they sell. got a pic with the rt on it.

tractor supply has a 6x10 aluminum trailer to rent. think i'll bring it
home and try it before making a 2000 or more mistake. any way to tarp this to keep some
of the weather off of it in transport . without beating it to death.
Irv, do NOT cover it when you trailer. It's like rubbing sand on the paint . The only thing that works is the professional plastic wraps that are put on new cars and boats when delivered to dealers................... Mike :thumbup:

BigGuy66
02-13-2017, 10:08 AM
(snip) We pull our RT on an open 6x10 alum trailer. (snip)

...do you (Mazo) have? We need to get one....
Jim

irvin48
02-13-2017, 10:15 AM
yes i understand. i open trailered my mercury cars to national show for years.
built a v front on the trailer that directed the rain over and around the car.
worked well when moving.[ not so well when stopped:roflblack:]. im pretty anal about NOT getting
the spyder wet. day rides only. wife wishes i treated the house like my vehicles.

and , no, our butts and backs wouldnt like a 500+ jaunt one way.
shoulda started planning sooner.

Bob Denman
02-13-2017, 10:57 AM
...shoulda started planning sooner.
:D Better late, than never! :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
02-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Jim

Our trailer is really nothing specific. It's just a 6x10 aluminum utility trailer with a rear ramp, much like many people use for atv's and mowers and such. (2500# capacity) It has rails that are about a foot above the deck. I bought some extra tie down loops so I could put them where I wanted them(2 at each wheel, one directly in front of each wheel and one directly behind each wheel, with a tie down strap over the tires.) Just like the rear tire is shown in the pic. Works perfect, and cheap and easy to do. We paid $1400 for the trailer.

irvin48
02-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Jim

yeh. some pics of your small haulers would be nice. we cant all afford the fancy stuff.
married almost 45 years and could barely afford the rt for retirement gift to us. this
is not a poor mans machine as i am finding out.:banghead:

irvin48
02-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Our trailer is really nothing specific. It's just a 6x10 aluminum utility trailer with a rear ramp, much like many people use for atv's and mowers and such. (2500# capacity) It has rails that are about a foot above the deck. I bought some extra tie down loops so I could put them where I wanted them(2 at each wheel, one directly in front of each wheel and one directly behind each wheel, with a tie down strap over the tires.) Just like the rear tire is shown in the pic. Works perfect, and cheap and easy to do. We paid $1400 for the trailer.

what brand and where did you find one for 1400 ?

al0vely
02-14-2017, 07:44 AM
yeh. some pics of your small haulers would be nice. we cant all afford the fancy stuff.
married almost 45 years and could barely afford the rt for retirement gift to us. this
is not a poor mans machine as i am finding out.:banghead:

You are so right about it not being for the poor :2thumbs:

I too am looking for a trailer as I want to go to a few events this summer but riding to them will not work for me.

Mazo EMS2
02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
what brand and where did you find one for 1400 ?

Not home at the moment to look what brand it is, but it's a simple utility trailer really. Like I said, nothing special, just an aluminum, wood deck, rails, perforated aluminum rear ramp trailer. I bought it in LaCrosse WI, just off the interstate. There are lots of dealers out there. I actully located mine on Craigslist. Just do a search for 6x10 aluminum utility trailer, and shop away. I got lucky to find mine at a great price.

irvin48
02-15-2017, 08:53 AM
ive been looking at h&h, aluma, and triton. all have dealers within 50 miles.
the h&h is the most economical. they have an all alum low side. otherwise
the use wood decking with alum frame.

Mazo EMS2
02-16-2017, 05:27 PM
I think you'll find that the tongue weight won't be an issue once you're loaded up. The bike will sit over the axle pretty well keeping the tongue weight down.

irvin48
02-16-2017, 07:22 PM
been looking at motels on glenstone.going to trailer place tomorrow to spec out
three different ways to go. saturday will try a 5.5 one out for width. one of the three
can be ordered as a tilt. got to see where the fairground is. thanks--irv

BigGuy66
02-18-2017, 09:48 AM
(snip) We paid $1400 for the trailer.
143574 .

..about your trailer. We too are retired and looking for ways to do some things without spending lots of money. I like the pic that shows how you added the tie downs. That price for us is doable. Thanks
- Jim

irvin48
02-19-2017, 09:22 AM
going to springfield ?