PDA

View Full Version : Searching

Grandpot
02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Is there a way to search on this site for a string of words? I have looked through help and did not come up with anything.

Here's an example of what I mean: I want to find threads with the two words, Rear Tire. When I search, I get lots of threads with Rear and others with Tire. All I want to see are the threads that contain the two words together, Rear Tire.

Any thoughts? :banghead:

Bob Denman
02-09-2017, 03:15 PM
I don't know if this works in here or not...
...But have you tried putting your search phrase inside a set of quotation marks?
"Rear Tire"
That used to work in another forum that I once haunted... :D

Grandpot
02-09-2017, 03:35 PM
I don't know if this works in here or not...
...But have you tried putting your search phrase inside a set of quotation marks?
"Rear Tire"
That used to work in another forum that I once haunted... :D

Tried it, didn't work.

youngers
02-09-2017, 03:45 PM
hahaha that dang tire did this or that ? :roflblack: ... you might try ----> ex: rear tire , 2015 r-t center wear ... or , clutch 2013 r-t or what ever typr cycle your are referring , see if that helps

youngers
02-09-2017, 03:50 PM
I posted rear tire 2012 r-t in the home search bar , and got a bunch like you , then went too the forums tab , and did the same , and came up with , just one .. so I guess if you are looking for , say --- seat , try going too the forums and maybe your area , or , your spyder purpose , and type in the search bar , on that tab ? giver a go and let us know how it worked out !

Grandpot
02-09-2017, 04:32 PM
I posted rear tire 2012 r-t in the home search bar , and got a bunch like you , then went too the forums tab , and did the same , and came up with , just one .. so I guess if you are looking for , say --- seat , try going too the forums and maybe your area , or , your spyder purpose , and type in the search bar , on that tab ? giver a go and let us know how it worked out !

I'm using Rear Tire just as an example, because I'm sure there are a LOT of posts out there with that word combination. I tried your suggestion, but still come up with posts containing either word. I want to be very specific and search for an exact match for several words. Doing this will make searching for a specific topic much quicker.

Highwayman2013
02-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Might be easier if you use Google.https://www.google.com/search?q=Spyder+RT+Rear+Tire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Grandpot
02-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Might be easier if you use Google.https://www.google.com/search?q=Spyder+RT+Rear+Tire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks for the reply, but I want to do this on the SL website, not the internet in general

Peter Aawen
02-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Most Search facilities do have delineators for your search string that can help, like putting a ; between each word you want included, & a + in front of each word that MUST be found in the results returned. I haven't tried any of those here, but it could help. ;)

And if you add 'spyderlovers.com' to your google search string, you can restrict your google search to this site rather than the entire internet. I believe you can also restrict it to just this Forum, but can't remember the address to add to the search string to do that - it should be just the forum address. ;)

Here's hoping some of that might help! Good Luck :thumbup:

seaweed
02-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Most Search facilities do have delineators for your search string that can help, like putting a ; between each word you want included, & a + in front of each word that MUST be found in the results returned. I haven't tried any of those here, but it could help. ;)

And if you add 'spyderlovers.com' to your google search string, you can restrict your google search to this site rather than the entire internet. I believe you can also restrict it to just this Forum, but can't remember the address to add to the search string to do that - it should be just the forum address. ;)

Here's hoping some of that might help! Good Luck :thumbup:

The advanced search in this forum allows a + in front of each word that MUST be found. Yes it does work!!!:yes:

wyliec
02-09-2017, 08:40 PM
At one point, a while back, if you searched for "rear+tire", it would list the threads and highlight where those two words were together. After all the updates/upgrades to spyderlovers, that works no more, and there may not be away to do what you want. Of course, only Lamont knows for sure.

Grandpot
02-09-2017, 09:23 PM
I've tried all of the above and nothing seems to work. Actually I am very surprised this topic has not be brought up before.

Highwayman2013
02-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I want to do this on the SL website, not the internet in general

google comes up with threads on SL.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Is there a way to search on this site for a string of words? I have looked through help and did not come up with anything.

Here's an example of what I mean: I want to find threads with the two words, Rear Tire. When I search, I get lots of threads with Rear and others with Tire. All I want to see are the threads that contain the two words together, Rear Tire.

Any thoughts? :banghead:
Use Google. Put the phrase in quotes like this: "rear tire" After that put in site:spyderlovers.com so that your search box contains this: "rear tire" site:spyderlovers.com. When I did it came up with 2780 hits. When I added kenda before rear it came up with 75 hits, all with kenda rear tire as a phrase.

wyliec
02-10-2017, 08:35 AM
I've tried all of the above and nothing seems to work. Actually I am very surprised this topic has not be brought up before.

It was brought up a long time ago, and that's why I mentioned how I use to check, which used to work long ago.

Grandpot
02-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Use Google. Put the phrase in quotes like this: "rear tire" After that put in site:spyderlovers.com so that your search box contains this: "rear tire" site:spyderlovers.com. When I did it came up with 2780 hits. When I added kenda before rear it came up with 75 hits, all with kenda rear tire as a phrase.

You win the prize. "rear tire" site:spyderlovers.com worked. Thank you very much.

Bob Denman
02-10-2017, 08:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKAjiwjJ9fI

Grandpot
02-10-2017, 09:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKAjiwjJ9fI

Chicken dinner with Bacon stuffing!

Bob Denman
02-10-2017, 09:04 AM
:clap: Amen, Bro! :thumbup:

siny10309
02-10-2017, 09:12 AM