PDA

View Full Version : New Pipe

Questions
04-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Unless I missed a post. Anyone upgrading their pipe so its louder so drivers know your coming up behind them? If so what kind? Its knida like Harley guys do to their bike. Thanks

crazycanuck
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Unless I missed a post. Anyone upgrading their pipe so its louder so drivers know your coming up behind them? If so what kind? Its knida like Harley guys do to their bike. Thanks

there are plenty of threads and posts in regards to this particular subject and everyone has their own opinion......best is to use the search function and I am sure you will ffind what you are looking for.

Lamonster
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4958 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4958:ohyea:)
:ohyea: (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4958:ohyea:)

Roger
04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
You can go to you tube and hear some of them my understanding is the micron is pretty loud. and by the way welcome

NancysToy
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Unless I missed a post. Anyone upgrading their pipe so its louder so drivers know your coming up behind them? If so what kind? Its kinda like Harley guys do to their bike. Thanks
Motorcycles are a lot like jet airplanes...a whole lot louder after they pass than they are coming up behind you. If you like noise, buy a loud pipe. If you want to be seen, buy loud clothes!
-Scotty

Smylinacha
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM

I have a 2 brothers single aluminum on mine - it is LOUD.:2thumbs: Works for cars, deer and such but I just like being loud. Stock sounded too much like a vacuum cleaner to me.:dontknow:

Dudley
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I have always believed that if I were to buy loud pipes for safety, then it was time to get off the bike. I know that to some of you I am way off base. Loud pipes irritate people more than they help you. How would you feel if you were not a rider and your neighbor started up his bike early on Saturday while you were still asleep, and rapped the throttle for about 5 minutes before taking off? Or, when he returned after midnight during your work week rapping the pipes down the street. Put yourself in other people's shoes. Approaching a car and startling the driver with your pipes could cause the driver to press the accelerator, thinking you were close and were going to hit him. Not a thinking reaction, but an involuntary reflex for defense. A nice sounding after market, baffled muffler sounds really nice and would probably make your neighbor wish he was riding also. Anything disturbingly loud is more irritating than useful. My 2 cents.
I am certainly not critizing anyone who wants very loud pipes. That's your decision. That was just my thoughts. I test drove a used bike one time with loud pipes. Couldn't wait to complete the ride and get off.

aka1004
04-13-2009, 07:18 PM
my stock piped spyder was refered as sounding like a sewing machine by a 70 year old man. hindle was on it very soon after that.
because i live in los angeles, hindle is just about as loud as i want.
even with hindle, i would pass a cop car in high gear so spyder does not make too much noise.

Buelldog
04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
I have always believed that if I were to buy loud pipes for safety, then it was time to get off the bike. I know that to some of you I am way off base. Loud pipes irritate people more than they help you. How would you feel if you were not a rider and your neighbor started up his bike early on Saturday while you were still asleep, and rapped the throttle for about 5 minutes before taking off? Or, when he returned after midnight during your work week rapping the pipes down the street. Put yourself in other people's shoes. Approaching a car and startling the driver with your pipes could cause the driver to press the accelerator, thinking you were close and were going to hit him. Not a thinking reaction, but an involuntary reflex for defense. A nice sounding after market, baffled muffler sounds really nice and would probably make your neighbor wish he was riding also. Anything disturbingly loud is more irritating than useful. My 2 cents.
I am certainly not critizing anyone who wants very loud pipes. That's you decision. That was just my thoughts. I test drove a used bike one time with loud pipes. Couldn't wait to complete the ride and get off.
:agree: :agree::agree: :agree:
Excess Noise is one of the major concerns facing the future of Motorcycling as we know it!!Noise ordinances are becoming Law across the land.....Contact the AMA(American Motorcyclist Assn.) or Harley-Davidson's PR dept. and ask them if loud pipes has them concerned!!Guarantee they will tell you the Noise Vise is closing fast and unless Riders compromise on sound.....we will find ourselves under law of oem exhaust only......Like most European Countries!!:lecturef_smilie:

NancysToy
04-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Excess Noise is one of the major concerns facing the future of Motorcycling as we know it!!Noise ordinances are becoming Law across the land.....Contact the AMA(American Motorcyclist Assn.) or Harley-Davidson's PR dept. and ask them if loud pipes has them concerned!!Guarantee they will tell you the Noise Vise is closing fast and unless Riders compromise on sound.....we will find ourselves under law of oem exhaust only......Like most European Countries!!:lecturef_smilie:
Well stated! As a vintage bike owner, I fear this greatly. Imagine what you would feel like if you couldn't go down to the auto parts store to buy a muffler for your 1998 Chevy. If Chevy didn't stock them anymore, you would have to junk your car! If they did stock them, they'd probably cast half what the car was worth. Same situation is starting to creep in regarding motorcycles. We are a minority, and can be run over by the legislative steam roller and public sentiment in a heartbeat. A compromise and some prudence here can save us. Please try to be reasonable...for all motorcyclists' sake.
-Scotty