PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights wiring questions

Corsacreek
02-04-2017, 07:24 PM
So I finally had time to start my fog lights project. I have a pair of 2.5" fog lights with angel eyes from another bike that are IP65 waterproof and they ran with no problem. The angel eyes are super bright that def good daylight running lights.

Here's my problem:
On the MX1900 male plug I'm unable to find the wire combination to connect the switch. I have 19mm 5pin switch which I plan to wire in the most common way, which will be, switch on (led on) and fog lights on. I already have common and ground figured out (red wire and black wire). The other two (grey/green stripe wire and the other black wire) both output 14vdc with engine on. I know the grey/green stripe wire is the fog light wire since the other wire on the 3pin male plug (brown/orange stripe) outputs current with engine on and that wire will power the angel eyes.

billybovine
02-10-2017, 11:06 AM
You cannot wire the switch to have the switch LED on with switch on with the wires you have.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=143211&d=1486254231

For starters you numbered the plug backwards based on the wiring diagram. But we will work with how you numbered it.
Number 2 and 4 black wires are both ground "black".
Number 3 wire is for powering the LED in the BRP switch only "OR/RD". Not enough power for the fog lights. On with key on.
Number 1 wire is from the trigger coil for the fog lights ".

To make the fog lights work. Connect number 1 wire to switch "C" common. Connect number 2 wire to N/O normally open.

To light the switch LED. On with key on. Like BRP designed it. Number 3 wire to "+". Number 4 wire to "-"

If you insist on LED on with switch on. A wire will have to be run from the fog light plug back to the switch.

billybovine
02-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Using the GY/BG wire to power the angel eyes will not be a good idea. That wire is for CE low beam. So will only be energised in low beam.

zuni
02-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Using the GY/BG wire to power the angel eyes will not be a good idea. That wire is for CE low beam. So will only be energised in low beam.

Just..went..and..checked..works..fine..for..me.

CJJAX

zuni
02-10-2017, 02:26 PM
You cannot wire the switch to have the switch LED on with switch on with the wires you have.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=143211&d=1486254231

For starters you numbered the plug backwards based on the wiring diagram. But we will work with how you numbered it.
Number 2 and 4 black wires are both ground "black".
Number 3 wire is for powering the LED in the BRP switch only "OR/RD". Not enough power for the fog lights. On with key on.
Number 1 wire is from the trigger coil for the fog lights ".

To make the fog lights work. Connect number 1 wire to switch "C" common. Connect number 2 wire to N/O normally open.

To light the switch LED. On with key on. Like BRP designed it. Number 3 wire to "+". Number 4 wire to "-"

If you insist on LED on with switch on. A wire will have to be run from the fog light plug back to the switch.

Instead of looping back from the fog light to light the switch could you attach #1 to the "C" terminal and #2 to the negative terminal then attach a jumper from "NO" to the +terminal? Passing the current through the LED.

CJ JAX

Copperman
02-10-2017, 03:46 PM
That seems pretty complicated to me. Wouldn't it just be easier to buy Lamonts LED fog lights and install them?

billybovine
02-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Instead of looping back from the fog light to light the switch could you attach #1 to the "C" terminal and #2 to the negative terminal then attach a jumper from "NO" to the +terminal? Passing the current through the LED.

CJ JAX

If you where switching the live side of the load (relay trigger coil) that would work. But you are not. The switch operates the relay by making the connection to ground. So when the switch on. The number 1 wire will be directly connected to ground. So in your suggested hookup, one side of the LED to ground and the other side of LED to ground. That won't work.

Corsacreek
02-10-2017, 06:13 PM
For starters you numbered the plug backwards based on the wiring diagram

Yes correct, it is numbered in the diagram the way you mate the male to female mx1900 plug. I realized that once I had posted the pic.

You're right, that's the way Can-Am designed it. The reasoning on wanting the switch LED on with the fog lights on is so I'll know if I left them on. The angel eyes mask the fog lights during the day and it is hard to know whether they are on or off.

Correct, it is a dot rule..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first time I saw the diagram and started checking the wires against it I realized that GY/YE needed to grounded to complete the circuit and I also noticed it on Lamonster's switch. Somehow I thought that I was reading the diagram incorrectly since I really haven't see it like this on other bikes.

I thank you for taking the time to square me away, I got everything running now..

Corsacreek
02-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Just..went..and..checked..works..fine..for..me.

CJJAX

Hey Zuni thanks for your help..

Corsacreek
02-10-2017, 06:36 PM
That seems pretty complicated to me. Wouldn't it just be easier to buy Lamonts LED fog lights and install them?

Not completed and if you never get your feet wet; you'll never learn how to swim. Besides, you can't beat a fog light system for under $40.

Fog lights= $16.99
Switch plus socket= $8.69
JAE MAX1900 female connector plus pins= $6.95

These fog lights are a perfect match and look oem, the spacing is exact..