PDA

View Full Version : AM I HARD

SPYD3R
02-04-2017, 06:46 PM
AM I HARD ON MY BRAKES, or do the F3's just burn'm up faster...?
33,048 miles of smiles :D and i replaced my 3rd set of pads today, up front.... duh, i had 50K miles on my RS without a change...
tomorrow i'll replace the rear pads, for they have about had it as well...
any1 else notice this...? btw; i'm using the EBC FA630HH up front, & FA631HH out back....
your opinions please: good, bad or indifferent...???
Dan P
SPYD3R

Al Gully
02-04-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm new here, when was your first change out on the rear.

When was was the first change out on the front.

Also, what is the original thickness of the rear rotors. What are yours now.

What is the original thickness of the fronts rotors. What are yours now.

Sounds like I'm going to get a few sets of pads to have on hand. :yikes:

JKMSPYDER
02-04-2017, 06:56 PM
You must be hard on your brakes. My ST-S had 25, 000 miles on it when I traded it in and still had plenty of pad. Do you use your engine to gear down? That will save brake wear.

SPYD3R
02-04-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm new here, when was your first change out on the rear.

When was was the first change out on the front. 17,409 miles.

Also, what is the original thickness of the rear rotors (only one rotor at rear). What are yours now. No idea.

What is the original thickness of the fronts rotors. What are yours now. No idea.

Sounds like I'm going to get a few sets of pads to have on hand. :yikes:

i always have a spare set of consumables on hand - you never know when you'll need them...

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2017, 07:02 PM
That seems excessive. I wonder why. I'm only on my 3rd set of front brakes on my 14 RT with 96,000 miles and I'm usually pulling a loaded trailer.

trikermutha
02-04-2017, 07:06 PM
do you do lots of stops and go while driving? versus traveling long distances?

I have 70 k on my car and haven't changed the brakes yet. but my truck would be like clock work every 20 k it needed brakes. but that was more stop and go driving.

SPYD3R
02-04-2017, 07:07 PM
That seems excessive. I wonder why. I'm only on my 3rd set of front brakes on my 14 RT with 96,000 miles and I'm usually pulling a loaded trailer.

Ann;
as i stated in my original post, i had 50,000 miles of smiles on my RS and when i sold it, the pads were still half way...
my situation puzzles me...
Dan

Chupaca
02-04-2017, 07:27 PM
As you know I have an RS and replaced the rears at 33,000 and still had plenty but was changing tires and traveling so went ahead and replaced them but the fronts are now over 35,000 abdominal doing fine. I have to agree to be puzzled as you...EBC are good pads so what could it be...:dontknow:

Peter Aawen
02-04-2017, 11:31 PM
....33,048 miles of smiles :D and i replaced my 3rd set of pads today, up front.... duh, i had 50K miles on my RS without a change.......
your opinions please: good, bad or indifferent.......

Hey Dan, first a comment & then a question that might help throw some light onto your brake pad wear... :shocked:

Comment: I notice from your profile that both your RS & your F3 have been SE's.... (great choice, btw!)

Now for the (double bunger?) question: When you first rode your RS, did you tend to do more of your 'down shifting' yourself as & when you wanted (ie sorta using the semi-auto trans like a clutchless manual) but now with the F3 do you tend to let the Spyder do somewhat more of the downshifting as & when IT decides to?? :dontknow:

Treating the SE more like the auto trans in your car (albeit only with auto down-shifting) may well be putting a lot of 'extra' wearing load on your brake pads; whereas if you were simply using the SE as a clutchless manual & using your gears more than your brakes, then it should wear the brakes somewhat less & give you more/quicker response if needed - especially if you make a practice of stepping sequentially down thru each of the gears in order to slow down some in each gear & thereby always being in the gear appropriate to your revs & your (reducing) road speed, instead of leaving it in a higher gear & primarily using & relying on your brakes alone to slow down before letting the Spyder trans eventually drop into whichever lower gear it decides it needs when next you ask for power/accel....

Soo, if you basically answered YES to that compound question a bit above &/or that's pretty much the approach you take to your ryding & gear changing; then if you want to minimise your brake pad wear somewhat, I guess you might want look at using the gears/flappy paddles a bit more often than you do now & certainly use them more often than you use the brakes to slow atm!?! :thumbup:

cptjam
02-05-2017, 01:18 AM
I've 45000 on my brakes - original pads. You are braking hard, and late. See the situation, roll off, allow the downshift. Easy to get complacent with a SE. Brakes are cheap, so if you are safe, feel comfortable, in control, buy pads more often. No biggie. Not crashing is the goal, and since you don't, keep doing what you do! You'll be fine, Dan

SPYD3R
02-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Hey Dan, first a comment & then a question that might help throw some light onto your brake pad wear... :shocked:

Comment: I notice from your profile that both your RS & your F3 have been SE's.... (great choice, btw!)

Now for the (double bunger?) question: When you first rode your RS, did you tend to do more of your 'down shifting' yourself as & when you wanted (ie sorta using the semi-auto trans like a clutchless manual) but now with the F3 do you tend to let the Spyder do somewhat more of the downshifting as & when IT decides to?? :dontknow:

Treating the SE more like the auto trans in your car (albeit only with auto down-shifting) may well be putting a lot of 'extra' wearing load on your brake pads; whereas if you were simply using the SE as a clutchless manual & using your gears more than your brakes, then it should wear the brakes somewhat less & give you more/quicker response if needed - especially if you make a practice of stepping sequentially down thru each of the gears in order to slow down some in each gear & thereby always being in the gear appropriate to your revs & your (reducing) road speed, instead of leaving it in a higher gear & primarily using & relying on your brakes alone to slow down before letting the Spyder trans eventually drop into whichever lower gear it decides it needs when next you ask for power/accel....

Soo, if you basically answered YES to that compound question a bit above &/or that's pretty much the approach you take to your ryding & gear changing; then if you want to minimise your brake pad wear somewhat, I guess you might want look at using the gears/flappy paddles a bit more often than you do now & certainly use them more often than you use the brakes to slow atm!?! :thumbup:

Pete;
i operate the F3 the same as i did the RS... i use the tranny to brake ALWAYS... i down-shift the SE to slow myself prior to applying the brakes...
i have to add however, that if this is my only issue i have, i'm doing well...
Dan P
SPYD3R