PDA

View Full Version : Spyder 10 th Homecoming Anniversay Valcourt Canada

spydernatic
02-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Heads up everyone traveling from the USA to Canada for the 10th Anniversary Homecoming I just found out that you will need a special insurance travel card to be able to travel in Canada. I did not know about this so I called my agent who admitted he did not know so he called my insurance company Foremost and they told him we do need this travel card. He has ordered me one and it will take 2 weeks to get to me. I have not been on the site for a while as I have been out of the USA for over a month so I am not sure if this has been discussed on this site.
Thought I would let everyone know as you do not want to be turned around at the Canadian border due to not having this card.

Haze
02-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reminder.
I have my card in my travel folder. It has a validity date of 2 months timed around Homecoming.
Called Rider Insurance and they sent the card with an update of my stateside current insurance card.

Cheers, David C.

BUZZARD II
02-02-2017, 05:54 PM
This has been true for a long time. But I can never recall ever being asked at the border and have not had an accident to see if it really mattered. Still, it cost nothing and should only take a few days to be sent.

Deanna777
02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the reminder!

I called Geico, and I asked them about" do I need a special insurance card", they said no, I just need proof of insurance. Deanna

C3517C
02-03-2017, 01:43 AM
I have crossed the border a few times on the Spyder and have never been asked for any card or proof of insurance.

Bob Denman
02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
I'll do some research on this... but I also have been told that the Canadian I.D. card requirement was dropped ,many years ago...
I will re-confirm this. :thumbup:

oldgoat
02-03-2017, 09:23 AM
I have my doubts that you need any form of special insurance card to drive a vehicle from the US into Canada.

We don't need anything when we drive into the US other than ensuring we have very good coverage. I have $2,000,000.

Just your passport is required, along with no handguns & no criminal record.

Bob Denman
02-03-2017, 09:36 AM
All that you need is a current insurance card. :thumbup:
What we refer to as the "Canadian ID Cards", are no longer even being offered by our insurance companies.

drhunt204
02-03-2017, 08:16 PM
All-

Thanks for the insurance information. If anyone has any other information about what you need or should do or bring with you on the crossing into Canada and then back into the USA please let us newbies know about it.

Chupaca
02-04-2017, 12:49 AM
If its like here going into Mexico (you do need special insurance) you can get it at the border crossings. I have been across into Canada several time at different crossings and never asked for anything but why I was there and for how long...:dontknow:

pitzerwm
02-04-2017, 01:43 AM
Mexico doesn't compare to Canada in any way and yes you need special insurance in Mexico mainly because of the corruption. I've been to Canada many times and no questions about insurance.

Al Gully
02-04-2017, 06:22 AM
All-

Thanks for the insurance information. If anyone has any other information about what you need or should do or bring with you on the crossing into Canada and then back into the USA please let us newbies know about it.
2 other things I would bring is out of country medical Insurance and a valid passport.

pauly1
02-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Yes, the passport is the only document you need that is different than traveling in the US. Oh, and the ability to read/write French would help in Quebec, eh?

Happy Trails!

Wayne

Bob Denman
02-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Yes, the passport is the only document you need that is different than traveling in the US. Oh, and the ability to read/write French would help in Quebec...
Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used in place of Passports... :thumbup:
Medical information; including your insurance...

Thanks goodness for Google: I'm already practicing my favorite cuss-words "En français" :roflblack:
I want to be ready for the traffic!

PW2013STL
02-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Yes, the passport is the only document you need that is different than traveling in the US. Oh, and the ability to read/write French would help in Quebec, eh?

Happy Trails!

Wayne

Wayne are you and Deb going?

Les

Al Gully
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used in place of Passports.

That works too, also you can get a Nexus pass if you do a lot of traveling back and forth. (All modes of transportation)

Wife and I have them. No passport required, but they do take a few months to get due to all the security checks they have to do to get the card.
This is the GOES site to enroll:

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp;jsessionid=n2MKUPs0pmmGVNjuOL7n1eweOEVQt mjZTQRZde0spKO-LQkMvim3!588622804

Deanna777
02-04-2017, 02:41 PM
2 other things I would bring is out of country medical Insurance and a valid passport.If your are still in the" work force", check with your medical insurance company, get a phone # and info.

If your are retired.......:dontknow::dontknow:

Could some one else can chime in on this. ( I am still in the work force) and let us know.
Deanna

armyspydervet
02-04-2017, 06:23 PM
I called Geico and they told me I don't need anything special for insurance. I asked someone at my work in the Visa and Passport office if they knew anything about it. She said at one time you needed a separate insurance card for Canada, but that is no longer the case for short term travel.